Used 2006 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Great Used Car
By Cincy Runner

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this 2006 Maxima SL as a used car in 2009. It was a lease turn-in with only 11,000 miles on it and bought it from a dealer for only $19,800. After driving it for 2 months now, I'm really impressed with it and have nothing negative to say. I have not seen or experienced some of the problems that other reviewers are reporting, so maybe they just got lemons. I commute about 35 miles a day, both stop and go traffic and highways, and get a very satisfied 23.7 mpg. The drive is smooth and the engine is powerful, not to mention quiet. It's a fun car to drive! I love the interior, with the leather seats and sky view roof. This is my second Nissan and would buy again no problem.

Leather interior, sky view roof, heated seats and steering wheel, entry/exit assist, exterior styling, Homelink, auto-dimming mirrors, everthing!!

Turning radius stinks on the Maxima as well as on my previous Altima that I've owned. Also, the 6-disk CD player in the Maxima skips badly.

New Fan!
By TW

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used w/ 22K and got great deal. Had to replace a brake cylinder within couple months. Love its unassuming quickness. Fun pulling away from kids in loud 4-bangers. Way more features than what I'm used to (had 4 basic VW Jettas). Nothing broke yet. turning radius is joke - my '99 Yukon turns much sharper. Like the sporty feel but is a little rough over bumps. lacks MP3 player access port. trunk is spacious enough for two. Next car might have to be the Z.

Quick, sound system, heated steering wheel & seats, memory seats, systems controls

I would hoped that they've addressed any issues in newer models, such as the turning radius and brakes

06 in hind site
By Bob

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was my 3rd Maxima. No real issues. Have a 3 year lease and turning it back in and lease an 09 Had to replace OEM (Continental) tires at 26K even with Nissan dealership rotating at 5k intervals. Front brakes are ready to be replaced at 34K. Cruise control is very inconsistent especially on down hill situations. Engine is starting to run a little rough at 35K. I have no regrets with the vehicle. It was a very safe and reliable car for my wife to drive.

Sound System; Comfortable seating; Quiet (especially after replacing OEM tires); Great ride on the road; Trunk space;

Change OEM tires. Raise driver door arm rest to be at same level as center console arm rest. This would improve driving comfort.

'06 NISSAN MAXIMA SL EXCLLENT
By Michael Schroll

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've put nearly 10000 miles on this car after buy it used. Fast sporty handling solid structor and good looking are the that best describe it. Combined with room for are family and Nissan reliablity. I'd buy another.

engine note, stlying

none

My Last Maxima
By kempro

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After owning 5 Maximas (1990, 1991, 2001, 2003, and 2006) I am sadly looking in other directions. I have loved every aspect of the previous models but the 2006 has put me off. My favorite aspect of the Maxima was the joy in driving it. It's fast and responsive and fun to drive. Unfortunately, the build quality of the '06 is very poor. I had to replace tires at 36000 miles, battery at 46000, brakes and rotors at 50,000, headlight ($285) at 51000, and the top of the adjustable arm rest came off which the dealer wanted $485 to replace. All of these problems are common as I have a friend who also owns an 06 and has had similar repairs.

Handling and quickness. Fun to drive!

It is my opinion that Nissan has downgraded it's components supporting one of the best engines in the biz! My 03 and 90 (which I still own) have had fewer problems combined than my 06!