Used 2006 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Try One
By Anthony

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

All you have to do is drive one. I read about Hondas, Toyotas, whatever... I never get tired of pulling away from VTECs (4s and 6s). I have had NO ISSUES. The gas mileage isn't fabulous, but for a car with this much zip, it's quite good. Yeah, the turning radius isn't great, and there is some torque steer, but what car doesn't have one thing worth changing. I wanted a performance sedan and I got one. I have friends with '10 Hemi (390 HP) Rams that can't pull away from me. What more can you want in a 4 DOOR SEDAN. Don't forget, it's a family car!

Performance (don't sacrifice for mpg), Heated steering wheel, stance, 18" wheels, headlights, Bose system, skylights

address the torque steer, 328 HP like the G37

Great dependable car
By Jack

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Maxima in March 2006. I commute 100 miles each day, so we have put a lot of miles on this car; currently just over 100,000. The only thing I have had done is replace the tires two times, oil change, and replaced both headlight bulbs. Unfortunately, most people will need to have the dealer replace the headlight bulb. My wife and I both love driving this car!

Strong car with lots of power. Stylish design. Decent mileage. I am averaging over 24 mpg. Dependability.

MP 3 input!

Good but not great
By bigvic1

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased a loaded se and owned for almost 2 years. Purchased used in 2008 with 26k on the odometer. Cost was $20k out door with fl tax (orig. Sticker was over $34k. Whoa). Has almost every option except dvd/nav. Here is a good car that could have been great. While dependable, it has it quirks. Fast car, but terrible torque steer. Nice interior, but seats need more padding. Trips over 1.5 hours and your bottom is sore. Great styling, but bad turning radius. Weird cloth substance on dash/doors. What is up with that? Leather would have been perfect. All in all, a sharp looking, dependable car that is good on gas. No maintenance issues in 2 years. No rattles, leaks, creaks etc.

Engine power (fast), good mileage (avg. 22 city, 29 hwy), very dependable. Virtually never in the shop (only on 2 items, under warranty). Black leather seats stay cool-ish even when hot. Tilt/telescope wheel is nice, Bose stereo sounds fine to me. Heated front and rear seats are great. Xenon lights.

Torque steer on hard acceleration is almost dangerous. Get rid of that! Needs better turning radius, some wind/road noise. Get rid of cheesy cloth-like dash material looks tacky. More padding in seats. I would buy another if they addressed the above. Add a manual trans., make it RWD, perfect.

Loved My Maxima
By AE

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Max brand new and added the spoiler. It had the sporty feel I wanted and the practicality of a 4Dr sedan. In 4 years never had to do a thing expect routine maint and a new set of tires. Loved the 18" upgraded rims. And if you resit the temptation to drive it at the real speeds this sweetheart will go I got 28-30 mpg on the hwy. Not so go in city. Must use the cruise control on this car or you will find yourself in some trouble in no time.

18" chrome wheels, steering wheel controls,interior room,trunk space, turning signals on mirrors,acceleration for merging onto freeway, problem free

upgrade interior materials, mp3 outlet, road noise, make it distinctly different than the Altima. If I am going to $10,000+ more i don't want my neighbors Altima looking almost the same. Which is why I am getting a 2010 Max!

Not so excited about this car anymore
By TZ

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new thinking that like my last vehicle it would less me at least 140,000 miles without fixing anything major, so in 2 years my air condition went down, following winter something happened with my unt brakes, and now my transmission start acting up don't know whats the problem, i hope this car will get a recall it seems a lot of people have the same problem and after spending a good buck for this car i expect also a better performance I would never buy Nissan again unless there is a 100,000 warrant since i don't trust them anymore,

design of this car and how roomie it is

make this car less longer