Used 2006 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Great speed, but oh so not worth it!!!!
By 1bzygirl

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Shopping for a new car and just for kicks thought I would check out the reviews on my 2006 Maxima, can't believe so many people have had similar problems...let me see if anyone can top these, at 2 years my catalytic converter went out, at 3 years my transmission went out (right b4 warranty expired), my motor mounts have broken twice, oh yeah at 4 years my throttle body went out, end of 4th year my timing chain and air conditioner went out...now for my 5th yr anniversary my struts and suspension are out!!! I have spent well over 8k in repairs and maintanence....i am broke and now cannot afford to keep putting $$ into it, so am forced to get a new car or even buy a used one =(

Loved the speed in this car, this was what initially sold me on it...I have the fully loaded car which with all the bells & whistles looked very sporty.

Obviously with so many transimission, air conditioning and motor mount issues it is a design flaw and Nissan did nothing to address it. I complained to them over several times and all I was given was a maintanence package worth a total of 8 oil changes and tire rotations!!

Soooo Disappointed
By jc5053

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

1st thing first,....I bought this car brand new and had no problems UNTIL my 4th year (2010). The AC unit went out ($897),....HID lights turned pink and went out ($426) and now........(infamous drumroll),..........the transmission is bad, LOL! No, its not funny at all and my head is still spinning to the tune of $2500 repair bill that was freshly printed today. WOW is all I can say. On my way back from the shop,..this guy in traffic asked me if the car was good (as he's picking one up this week), I told him "nah man this car is a piece of junk, DON'T DO IT! 111k miles, 13 more payments and transmission problems are all I have to show for this car!

BOSE Radio, Bluetooth, HID's, very strong engine and very responsive.

All I want Nissan to do is to own up to all of these transmission issues. I am embarrassed to say that I own a Nissan Maxima,........why when this is the flagship car???

Poor Choice
By Dave

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Amazing to read all of the posts with similar issues. The tires wear out quickly, AC is out, headlight replacement costs over $100 and now the transmission goes! 120K on this car and replacing the tranny, hope to get another year or two out of it. Great looking car and I love the zip but I can't imagine going with another Maxima again.

AC and Transmission Problems
By Bratch

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Was good for the first two years, then the AC started blowing hot air, had high pressure line replaced under warranty. A year later the same thing happened, this time the low pressure AC line, and out of warranty. The hose and metal crimps seemed to have failed, replacement hose was more supple than original hose. After 4.5 years and 79,000 miles the transmission has started slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear, with no check engine light on. Taking it to the dealer for diagnosis in a couple of days. Purchased mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI) from credit union, which is good for 4 more months, so I hope it will be covered.

Roomy even for 6'3" driver, feels good to drive, many conveniences with the driver preferred package, like blue tooth, folding side mirrors and auto- dim rear view mirror, heated seats, tilt steering, good sound system. Has lots of trunk room.

For shorter people backing up is difficult because the back of the car seems higher than usual. Car has some road noice that could be reduced.

Try One
By Anthony

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

All you have to do is drive one. I read about Hondas, Toyotas, whatever... I never get tired of pulling away from VTECs (4s and 6s). I have had NO ISSUES. The gas mileage isn't fabulous, but for a car with this much zip, it's quite good. Yeah, the turning radius isn't great, and there is some torque steer, but what car doesn't have one thing worth changing. I wanted a performance sedan and I got one. I have friends with '10 Hemi (390 HP) Rams that can't pull away from me. What more can you want in a 4 DOOR SEDAN. Don't forget, it's a family car!

Performance (don't sacrifice for mpg), Heated steering wheel, stance, 18" wheels, headlights, Bose system, skylights

address the torque steer, 328 HP like the G37