Used 2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Wonderful Maxima
By jamalfisher

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our 2006 Maxima with about 60K miles on it and has been a dream. The car drives amazing, has plenty of luxury features and proves to be a good sedan. A few reviews have noted issues but those seem relatively normal for a vehicle with 100K miles or more. I will say this, the vehicle is Nissan's flagship so it will cost you more to operate. Premium sedans require premium maintenance. Chances are if you complain about the cost of repair, you probably cannot afford this vehicle. Whenever you have a performance vehicle, you will likely put it to the test thus be prepared to service it as you would any other sports car. We personally have had no repair issues other than normal items.

Favorite Features

Navigation Bose Stereo Heated Leather Seats Power Moonroof Satellite Radio

Suggested Improvements

MPG

Disappointed
By melr

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 Maxima slightly used in late 2006 with 15k miles on it. Everything was great for the first couple of years. Did go through two sets of tires though. At 72k miles the A/C began blowing hot air. A couple of months later, the transmission went out (hard shift between gears). A couple months after that a fuel leak and cracked motor mounts. The good news is I'm now at 80k and am just replacing the brakes. There is also a hollow metal sound coming from the car. Fortunately I bought a great extended warranty (that expires in Nov.) that has picked up everything but the A/C. Come Dec. I will likely get rid of the car since it's too expensive to repair.

Favorite Features

Zip Styling

Suggested Improvements

Transmission

Sooooooo disappointed
By lori_colorado

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2006 Maxima about 2 years ago. Within that 2 years, I've repaired the airconditioning unit, replaced the transmission, and replaced the catalytic converter. Nissan won't do anything, even though these are common problems! I've put thousands of dollars into this car. I loved it when I bought it and I thought I'd be a Nissan owner for life, but now I know I'll never purchase another one!! This was so not worth the money, I'm very disappointed.

Great speed, but oh so not worth it!!!!
By 1bzygirl

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Shopping for a new car and just for kicks thought I would check out the reviews on my 2006 Maxima, can't believe so many people have had similar problems...let me see if anyone can top these, at 2 years my catalytic converter went out, at 3 years my transmission went out (right b4 warranty expired), my motor mounts have broken twice, oh yeah at 4 years my throttle body went out, end of 4th year my timing chain and air conditioner went out...now for my 5th yr anniversary my struts and suspension are out!!! I have spent well over 8k in repairs and maintanence....i am broke and now cannot afford to keep putting $$ into it, so am forced to get a new car or even buy a used one =(

Favorite Features

Loved the speed in this car, this was what initially sold me on it...I have the fully loaded car which with all the bells & whistles looked very sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously with so many transimission, air conditioning and motor mount issues it is a design flaw and Nissan did nothing to address it. I complained to them over several times and all I was given was a maintanence package worth a total of 8 oil changes and tire rotations!!

Soooo Disappointed
By jc5053

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

1st thing first,....I bought this car brand new and had no problems UNTIL my 4th year (2010). The AC unit went out ($897),....HID lights turned pink and went out ($426) and now........(infamous drumroll),..........the transmission is bad, LOL! No, its not funny at all and my head is still spinning to the tune of $2500 repair bill that was freshly printed today. WOW is all I can say. On my way back from the shop,..this guy in traffic asked me if the car was good (as he's picking one up this week), I told him "nah man this car is a piece of junk, DON'T DO IT! 111k miles, 13 more payments and transmission problems are all I have to show for this car!

Favorite Features

BOSE Radio, Bluetooth, HID's, very strong engine and very responsive.

Suggested Improvements

All I want Nissan to do is to own up to all of these transmission issues. I am embarrassed to say that I own a Nissan Maxima,........why when this is the flagship car???