2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Not bad, but not my favorite
By JacobPlano on 11/03/09 06:37 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned many cars, M3, G35, and a CLK430, all of which were 2 door sport cars, but this time around I decided to go with something more logical for college. This car is a love hate relationship, I love that I can tote around 5 friends comfortably with a truck full of junk. But I hate the way it drives when I am alone, it's quick for its size, but tire spin, turning radius, and handling are lacking majorly. Also is lacking with the toys, all my last cars have little nooks and crannys with something cool, this car is plain jane. Though, it is a great car for a family, or if you need something for easy city driving. But for fun, it's not so great.

Shake your boody
By hogwildlane on 09/16/09 20:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

No turning radius at all, caused me some very sticky moments in u-turn type scenarios. Rear end eats tires for lunch >25000. Nissan said I was drifting based on tread wear. It does drift everytime you hit a bump. At 43 years old it has been quite some time since I spun out in the corners, memories of my '74 Nova in high school! Will not stay in alignment. Runs like a raped ape. Out run must on road but starts to shake at higher speeds. 6 speed manual/automatic is a blast but gas mileage suffers, < 20MPG in town. Interior quality very disappointing. 12 volt power port cover on console a joke compared to Altima set up. Very Noisy vehicle. Any one that rides on back has to yell to say anything

Great Used Car
By Cincy Runner on 09/03/09 10:16 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this 2006 Maxima SL as a used car in 2009. It was a lease turn-in with only 11,000 miles on it and bought it from a dealer for only $19,800. After driving it for 2 months now, I'm really impressed with it and have nothing negative to say. I have not seen or experienced some of the problems that other reviewers are reporting, so maybe they just got lemons. I commute about 35 miles a day, both stop and go traffic and highways, and get a very satisfied 23.7 mpg. The drive is smooth and the engine is powerful, not to mention quiet. It's a fun car to drive! I love the interior, with the leather seats and sky view roof. This is my second Nissan and would buy again no problem.

New Fan!
By TW on 08/24/09 12:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used w/ 22K and got great deal. Had to replace a brake cylinder within couple months. Love its unassuming quickness. Fun pulling away from kids in loud 4-bangers. Way more features than what I'm used to (had 4 basic VW Jettas). Nothing broke yet. turning radius is joke - my '99 Yukon turns much sharper. Like the sporty feel but is a little rough over bumps. lacks MP3 player access port. trunk is spacious enough for two. Next car might have to be the Z.

06 in hind site
By Bob on 07/07/09 01:12 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was my 3rd Maxima. No real issues. Have a 3 year lease and turning it back in and lease an 09 Had to replace OEM (Continental) tires at 26K even with Nissan dealership rotating at 5k intervals. Front brakes are ready to be replaced at 34K. Cruise control is very inconsistent especially on down hill situations. Engine is starting to run a little rough at 35K. I have no regrets with the vehicle. It was a very safe and reliable car for my wife to drive.

'06 NISSAN MAXIMA SL EXCLLENT
By Michael Schroll on 06/28/09 05:31 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've put nearly 10000 miles on this car after buy it used. Fast sporty handling solid structor and good looking are the that best describe it. Combined with room for are family and Nissan reliablity. I'd buy another.

My Last Maxima
By kempro on 06/15/09 14:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After owning 5 Maximas (1990, 1991, 2001, 2003, and 2006) I am sadly looking in other directions. I have loved every aspect of the previous models but the 2006 has put me off. My favorite aspect of the Maxima was the joy in driving it. It's fast and responsive and fun to drive. Unfortunately, the build quality of the '06 is very poor. I had to replace tires at 36000 miles, battery at 46000, brakes and rotors at 50,000, headlight ($285) at 51000, and the top of the adjustable arm rest came off which the dealer wanted $485 to replace. All of these problems are common as I have a friend who also owns an 06 and has had similar repairs.

Wheel shakes also!
By Wheel shakes also!!! on 06/12/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've had the car for 3 years (since new) and love to drive it. The only problem is that the darn steering wheel has had a shimmy since I test drove it. I didn't think much of it and asked them to check the tire balance before I took delivery. Big mistake. 3 years and more than 15 attempts to get it fixed and it still shakes. Nissan mechanics don't have a clue why. Nissan has given up on trying to fix it and I've given up trying to get it fixed. Luckily it's a lease and it'll be their problem next month. It's too bad, my family has been loyal to Nissan since 1985, not any more...

IN TEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Momingeorgia on 06/03/09 12:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just traded mine in with transmission problems!! Only had it 2 years. The first gear no longer worked. Highly dissapointed in the nissan name. Powertrain warranty ended at 60000. Transmission went at 65000. I am still upset

Shakey drive
By Wheel Shakes on 05/26/09 17:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the worse car that I have ever owned. From the time I drove it off the lot, nothing but suspension problems and back to the dealership 10 times and still have the problem. No good in snow or rain. Tires are over $200 each..bad choice of car and brand. Dealership could not keep the problem fixed. Wheel shakes all the time when driving.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.