2006 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
AC and Transmission Problems
By Bratch on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Was good for the first two years, then the AC started blowing hot air, had high pressure line replaced under warranty. A year later the same thing happened, this time the low pressure AC line, and out of warranty. The hose and metal crimps seemed to have failed, replacement hose was more supple than original hose. After 4.5 years and 79,000 miles the transmission has started slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear, with no check engine light on. Taking it to the dealer for diagnosis in a couple of days. Purchased mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI) from credit union, which is good for 4 more months, so I hope it will be covered.

Try One
By Anthony on 08/19/10 10:11 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

All you have to do is drive one. I read about Hondas, Toyotas, whatever... I never get tired of pulling away from VTECs (4s and 6s). I have had NO ISSUES. The gas mileage isn't fabulous, but for a car with this much zip, it's quite good. Yeah, the turning radius isn't great, and there is some torque steer, but what car doesn't have one thing worth changing. I wanted a performance sedan and I got one. I have friends with '10 Hemi (390 HP) Rams that can't pull away from me. What more can you want in a 4 DOOR SEDAN. Don't forget, it's a family car!

Great dependable car
By Jack on 08/14/10 21:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Maxima in March 2006. I commute 100 miles each day, so we have put a lot of miles on this car; currently just over 100,000. The only thing I have had done is replace the tires two times, oil change, and replaced both headlight bulbs. Unfortunately, most people will need to have the dealer replace the headlight bulb. My wife and I both love driving this car!

Good but not great
By bigvic1 on 06/24/10 14:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased a loaded se and owned for almost 2 years. Purchased used in 2008 with 26k on the odometer. Cost was $20k out door with fl tax (orig. Sticker was over $34k. Whoa). Has almost every option except dvd/nav. Here is a good car that could have been great. While dependable, it has it quirks. Fast car, but terrible torque steer. Nice interior, but seats need more padding. Trips over 1.5 hours and your bottom is sore. Great styling, but bad turning radius. Weird cloth substance on dash/doors. What is up with that? Leather would have been perfect. All in all, a sharp looking, dependable car that is good on gas. No maintenance issues in 2 years. No rattles, leaks, creaks etc.

Loved My Maxima
By AE on 06/11/10 09:12 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Max brand new and added the spoiler. It had the sporty feel I wanted and the practicality of a 4Dr sedan. In 4 years never had to do a thing expect routine maint and a new set of tires. Loved the 18" upgraded rims. And if you resit the temptation to drive it at the real speeds this sweetheart will go I got 28-30 mpg on the hwy. Not so go in city. Must use the cruise control on this car or you will find yourself in some trouble in no time.

Not so excited about this car anymore
By TZ on 03/04/10 09:17 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new thinking that like my last vehicle it would less me at least 140,000 miles without fixing anything major, so in 2 years my air condition went down, following winter something happened with my unt brakes, and now my transmission start acting up don't know whats the problem, i hope this car will get a recall it seems a lot of people have the same problem and after spending a good buck for this car i expect also a better performance I would never buy Nissan again unless there is a 100,000 warrant since i don't trust them anymore,

206 Maxima love to hate it...
By Atlfalcons09 on 12/16/09 14:15 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my car in Jan.2007, very excited about finally owning a Maxima, just recently my transmission went out, struts are horrible and the car is very noisy, has knocking sounds under the car that the dealer can't figure out the problem, which is strange how they can figure out the major expensive stuff! The good things are the comfort and space...very good car to travel in and alot of trunk space. The car has very good pick up. The tires are very expensive and wear easily for some reason the dealer can't explain this either. Nice stereo system and speakers. Another complaint is this car has no change holder, 2 cup holders but no where to store change. Overall it's a nice car.

maxed out
By meka on 11/24/09 14:06 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my car 4/06. since then i have replaced struts, ac compressor, tie rods, head lights. knocking sound on right and the service men at nissan cant figure out what it is. constantly being aligned. front grill chipped up. it is very sporty and fun to drive but cant enjoy the drive for having to replace tires so often which are way to expensive. a headlamp cost me $186. oh not to mention the motor mounts keep breaking. guess you can say i got a lemon too. will never ever buy another one. im maxed out on funds keeping this junk running!

Will Miss IT!
By Stephanie E on 11/23/09 10:09 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned my Nissan for 4 yrs. ABSOLUTELY loved it! I purchased a LOADED SE model & can't complain too much about it. The only down side is the turning radius sucked. As far as reliability, ride, comfort, & performance it was awesome. It set standards that spoiled me that other manufactures don't include in options (heated steering wheel). Although window sticker stated 27 MPG, mine got 25-26 MPG (not too bad - and I don't putt putt around). I recently totaled it, so SAFETY was GREAT! When side air bags deployed no smell or gas filled the interior like others do. This was one of my favorite make/models to own. I will definitely miss this car!

Max THe BEAST!! The Best Car EVER
By Frederick Arthur P-K on 11/17/09 12:33 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got this car from an auction. It drives well, Spacious and the features are comparable to that of an E-class. I bought this car because it was the right balance between a luxury and an everyday car. The car looks great especially with the 18" chrome with black leather interior on black ext. It would have been nice if they got rid of the handbrake, included an mp3 player with AUX, an automatic trunk shut system. Very noisy if music not on blast, suspension is a bit rough bt I love this car. And dnt regret one bit! If you are looking at buying this car, go all out, and get all options other than that get an ALTIMA..

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.