Used 2006 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Very disappointed in Nissan! NEVER AGAIN
By nikitat

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 Nissan Maxima with 29,000 miles on it, seemed perfect .....I have had problems with the rotors, it blows a headlight or tail light every 2 weeks and to top it all off, now there is something wrong with the transmisson......I'm so hurt and disappointed knowing I only have a year left to pay on my car.........Ohhh well, it's back to Honda for me! Thanks Nissan for the experience.........NEVER AGAIN!

Loved it, Until Mr. Bad Tranny came knocking!! ACCORD CROSSTOUR looks pretty interesting right about now...
By dribentley

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved this car, still do, but this whole jerking, hard shifting between gears is upsetting. I just got to 61,000 miles!!! This is a poorly built transmission, and I have seen hundreds of consumer complaints about this issue. The turning radius sucks big time. The look of the vehicle is fierce and awesome. I love sporty, masculine looking cars and the Maxima has that going for it. I could never see my hubbie driving my old Honda CRV. I pray Nissan will reach out to us soon and repair a damaged relationship with its 2004-2006 Maxima owners w/tranny issues. I've already made up my mind to trade it in for the ACCORD CROSSTOUR and have discouraged others from the Maxima as well.

Favorite Features

Love the fast pick up on the highway. Fierce looking ride.

Suggested Improvements

One word: Transmission!! oh and the turning radius

Trouble Car to Buy
By victorwill

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2006 Maxima w/ 104K miles that is having the same jerking issues. In Aug 2011, the car lurched and jumped so bad in traffic while slowing down. It also happens whenever I am pulling from a stop light or reversing. This issue continued and sometime I have to stop the car because I thought I was going to get into an accident. Since this appears after the car is driven for about 15 minutes, I will let the car sit for a while before I drive it again. It will drive fine for a few miles and start lurching again. I took the car to our local Nissan dealer and needed to pay $105 for an inspection. I tried to tell them the prob. but they acted they didnt what i was saying! Dont buy Nissan

Suggested Improvements

The WHOLE transmission for gods sakes. Nissan KNOWS the problem but doesn't want to fix it!

Poor Making Of The Car
By karenharper23

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2006 Nissian Maxima and Ive been had this car for about 4 years now, I start experiencing problems with it last year after my warranty was up. First of all the AC went out and begun to blow hot air and costed me over $300 to get fixed then about January when I reached about 72,000 miles my car began to Jerk and take about 4-5 seconds to go into drive,reverse,etc. So I took it to the Nissan dealer and had them do a dianostic check about 3 times and they told me nothing was wrong so I got my transmission serviced around March and the jerking stopped and now it has started back and now my transmission has gone out and is costing me about $3,000 to get fixed. POOR QUALITY IM UPSET!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Nissan should do a recall on all 2006 Nissan Maxima's and fixed thier mistakes because this isnt right..

WHAT A NISSAN
By joylene101

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

i am really disappointed with this car,first off the tires cost 400 a set and thats not it some coins fell down into the meter amp where the radio sits and shut my car down, had to get it towed and that cost me 560, now my ac will not blow cold the low ac side has gone out thats another 500 dollars. i hate this car

Favorite Features

it has great speed to it and the radio has great speakers

Suggested Improvements

transmission, tires, and ac unit needs to be replace in all nissan max 2006 year at no cost