Used 2006 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Big Disappointment!
By bruin in Ottawa

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car has given me no confidence in the Nissan brand. It has a horrible fit and finish. This is going to catch up with Nissan just like it did with the big three.

Favorite Features

Styling,

Suggested Improvements

-Turning radius. Shaky steering. Needs bigger brakes for the power the car has. Clutch has a horrible feel compared to a Honda. Rust is beginning in my 2006. Whole car feels like it is going to fall apart when it goes over a bump.

Light bulb!!
By Vancouver

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car used, with 15k miles on it. I had a previous Maxima (96) that I drove for 8 years. This is a different car, nice, good visibility and good handling. Quiet and very powerful engine (265 Hp). I wish it had a 6 speed manual but Nissan does not make enough of. I am at 55k miles, and love it. Fuel economy unpaired, if you drive it on the hwy for this size of engine (29-30 m/gl and 20-22 in the city). Always I get the best fuel because this car loves it. At 37k the front light bulb died and service wanted to charge me over $160.00+tx. I could not believe it, but thanks to e-bay I was able to replace it for $36.00 plus my time. Consider maintenance cost when you buying this car.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable driving, nice interior/exterior design, nice suspension reliable so far (55k miles). Good quality for the price you pay.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan Engineering totally forgot about designing for maintainability. Even w. the best cars things go wrong. To change the frnt light bulb you need to remove the front wheel or else you get charged over $160 and this car does not have the Xenon light bulbs! Would be nice a 6 spd manual trnsmsn

Love it
By Annie

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The first thing I did was replace the ugly grille! Now it looks perfect. Performance is exhilarating. Replaced OEM tires with upgrades and traction is much better. Bought a fully loaded one with heated SW, navigation, etc. and glad I did. Do 30 mpg on the highway, using regular on highway and 89 in town. Performs the same. Definitely one of the best cars I've owned. Great value!

Favorite Features

Heated SW, bluetooth/sat/nav integration, edginess to styling and low-slung looks, ride, performance/handling

Suggested Improvements

Ugly grille, front brake life is too short, torque steer under heavy power

Love my maxima
By chiller

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

There are so many things I love about this car. I've owned many different makes and models over the years, but this is my favorite car. It looks great, drives great, and is super comfortable. One of my favorite features - a heated steering wheel. (I live in the Midwest.) I've had just regular maintenance and no mechanical issues at all. I usually trade my vehicles in after three years, but I'm actually thinking of keeping this one for awhile. Well, maybe I'll trade it for a new Maxima. I would like remote start.

Favorite Features

heated steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

ashtray - great for holding change

Still not sure
By bonton

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am still trying to decide if I like this car. I do know that I liked my 97 Maxima (234k miles) so much better. I don't like the "automatic" rear view mirror. It does not make the lights from behind seem any less bright. There does not seem to be as much head room in this Maxima compared to the 97. Either that, or the seat does not adjust low enough. I feel like my head is touching on the roof. The center console has way more buttons than anyone needs, 43 to be exact! Every time I turn the heat on the a/c comes on. Why is that? I do like the sportiness and look of the car. It drives nice and is quick to respond. They just have some design flaws. I would take the 97 anyday!