Used 2006 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

LOVE MY MAXIMA
By buttrnut

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car off of the showroom floor in Jan of 2008. I love, love, love my Maxima! Exceptional handling (can take a 30 MPH exit ramp at 70 MPH), acceleration is comparable to a V8, sometimes a bit scary... the power is underestimated. The exterior of the car screams "HOT". Sporty, low profile high performance ride. I took an 11 hour trip in this car and really enjoyed the ride, I averaged 29 MPG with a fully loaded trunk. I love the body style and was a little sad to see Nissan succumb to a Camry look for 2009. Hope the new body style grows on me because I would really like to be a Maxima-lifer!

Exterior body style, tight suspension, lots of torque, manual shifter, lots of AC adapters, roomy trunk, great turning clearance.

More standard features, upgrade console display, change orange lights to green.

I really wanted to love it.
By George

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car new since family had good luck with older Maximas in the late 90s but this one has been a disappointment. CD changer replaced 3 times for freezing up, lumbar support dead twice, center console arm support snapped, grille replaced for paint chipping, paint in general isn't great and now fighting with Nissan cause clutch and flywheel failed. Mechanics say its a defect but Nissan says its regular wear and tear. Funny how that works. BBB to the rescue!!! I do like driving this car but its put a sour taste in my mouth especially with how Nissan corporate treats its customers and just worrying about when I'll be sitting in service again. I think I just got a dud.

Bose stereo, Bluetooth, 6 speed manual, cavernous, heated steering wheel.

MP3 jack, and that grille has to go.

Big Disappointment!
By bruin in Ottawa

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car has given me no confidence in the Nissan brand. It has a horrible fit and finish. This is going to catch up with Nissan just like it did with the big three.

Styling,

-Turning radius. Shaky steering. Needs bigger brakes for the power the car has. Clutch has a horrible feel compared to a Honda. Rust is beginning in my 2006. Whole car feels like it is going to fall apart when it goes over a bump.

Light bulb!!
By Vancouver

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car used, with 15k miles on it. I had a previous Maxima (96) that I drove for 8 years. This is a different car, nice, good visibility and good handling. Quiet and very powerful engine (265 Hp). I wish it had a 6 speed manual but Nissan does not make enough of. I am at 55k miles, and love it. Fuel economy unpaired, if you drive it on the hwy for this size of engine (29-30 m/gl and 20-22 in the city). Always I get the best fuel because this car loves it. At 37k the front light bulb died and service wanted to charge me over $160.00+tx. I could not believe it, but thanks to e-bay I was able to replace it for $36.00 plus my time. Consider maintenance cost when you buying this car.

Very comfortable driving, nice interior/exterior design, nice suspension reliable so far (55k miles). Good quality for the price you pay.

Nissan Engineering totally forgot about designing for maintainability. Even w. the best cars things go wrong. To change the frnt light bulb you need to remove the front wheel or else you get charged over $160 and this car does not have the Xenon light bulbs! Would be nice a 6 spd manual trnsmsn

Love it
By Annie

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The first thing I did was replace the ugly grille! Now it looks perfect. Performance is exhilarating. Replaced OEM tires with upgrades and traction is much better. Bought a fully loaded one with heated SW, navigation, etc. and glad I did. Do 30 mpg on the highway, using regular on highway and 89 in town. Performs the same. Definitely one of the best cars I've owned. Great value!

Heated SW, bluetooth/sat/nav integration, edginess to styling and low-slung looks, ride, performance/handling

Ugly grille, front brake life is too short, torque steer under heavy power