Used 2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Too Bad
By apps10

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Have the manual transmission and have just loved this car for 7 years. Unfortunately Nissan had some major transmission issues. My car had the entire engine, transmission and cats replaced under warrantee just before it expired. Time to get rid of the car cause I anticipate the issues resurfacing. It has been a great sport sedan with the power and acceleration being the best features. The engine is silky smooth.

Engine

Wheel shakes also!
By Wheel shakes also!!!

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've had the car for 3 years (since new) and love to drive it. The only problem is that the darn steering wheel has had a shimmy since I test drove it. I didn't think much of it and asked them to check the tire balance before I took delivery. Big mistake. 3 years and more than 15 attempts to get it fixed and it still shakes. Nissan mechanics don't have a clue why. Nissan has given up on trying to fix it and I've given up trying to get it fixed. Luckily it's a lease and it'll be their problem next month. It's too bad, my family has been loyal to Nissan since 1985, not any more...

Manual trans., faster than it looks, bluetooth, heated steering wheel.

Don't give up when a problem has been brought to your attention, it's ridiculous and it'll cost far more to the company in lost customers than the cost to figure out the problem.

I really wanted to love it.
By George

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car new since family had good luck with older Maximas in the late 90s but this one has been a disappointment. CD changer replaced 3 times for freezing up, lumbar support dead twice, center console arm support snapped, grille replaced for paint chipping, paint in general isn't great and now fighting with Nissan cause clutch and flywheel failed. Mechanics say its a defect but Nissan says its regular wear and tear. Funny how that works. BBB to the rescue!!! I do like driving this car but its put a sour taste in my mouth especially with how Nissan corporate treats its customers and just worrying about when I'll be sitting in service again. I think I just got a dud.

Bose stereo, Bluetooth, 6 speed manual, cavernous, heated steering wheel.

MP3 jack, and that grille has to go.

Big Disappointment!
By bruin in Ottawa

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car has given me no confidence in the Nissan brand. It has a horrible fit and finish. This is going to catch up with Nissan just like it did with the big three.

Styling,

-Turning radius. Shaky steering. Needs bigger brakes for the power the car has. Clutch has a horrible feel compared to a Honda. Rust is beginning in my 2006. Whole car feels like it is going to fall apart when it goes over a bump.

Good, not great
By Good Car

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Put 33k on my 2006 Maxima in 14 months and it is a decent car. Good performance, nice to look at, good highway mileage, stereo and bluetooth are excellent, and it's a big car. However, I've had the brakes done twice (11k and 26k), The lumbar in the seat broke, 2nd gear a little notchy when cold, and AC stopped blowing real cold air and dealership says it's fine. Couple of annoying rattles in dash. My biggest complaint is seat comfort. No lumbar or upper back support compared to other "Sport" sedans. I drive 30k miles per year at least and my back is broke after a 300 mile drive. Back was never sore in my 2004 acura TL. So... going back to Acura or step-up to lexus/infiniti.

Engine, looks, bluetooth, heated steering wheel, 500+ mile range on highway.

Better seats, better suspension, brakes, brakes, brakes!!