Used 2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

To many repairs in a short time.
By Robert

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

The engine is great. The equipment attached to it is weak. I have had to replace the transmission, the computer box, the power steering pressure hose, the power steering box the radio, the power attachments for cellphone hookup do not work, The sunroof is faulty, works when it wants too. The time waiting for parts to repair is unbelieveable. The windows are not made to keep out the road noise. this car has been in the shop more times than my 1999 Durango which has 274000 miles. and is More reliable than my 2006 Max with 164000 miles. I have owned an 1989 Maxima, and the clutch kept going out. It is in the shop now for a new steering unit. I cannot make my money without it. I am going out to buy another car. It will not be a Nissan. I would not recommend it unless it is a truck.

Transmission
By kevin

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

i should of looked this car up before i brought it cause everybody is talking about a bad transmission got mt car with 85k miles on it dealer said he just put a new transmission in it but doesnt seem like it car jerks forward alot when shifting gears i think nissan should have to recall this car if everybody is having the same problem.

Too Bad
By apps10

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Have the manual transmission and have just loved this car for 7 years. Unfortunately Nissan had some major transmission issues. My car had the entire engine, transmission and cats replaced under warrantee just before it expired. Time to get rid of the car cause I anticipate the issues resurfacing. It has been a great sport sedan with the power and acceleration being the best features. The engine is silky smooth.

Engine

This is any easy fix
By critical2

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Guys this problem is easy to fix. I have a 2006 maxima and had the same problems with the tranny as everyone else here described. All you have to do is change your 3 linear solenoids in your valve body to so new after market ones made by a company called Rostra. it cost $240.00 for the parts and roughly 300 for labor. My are runs perfectly, just like new and that's all I did. You will be very satisfied with the results. Best,

Speed and handling

Fix faulty valve body once and for all

Inherent transmission problem with '06 Maxima
By jaware

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As others have stated - there is an inherent transmission problem with the '06 Maxima and other years as well. At 62k miles my transmission started to slip and the car jerked when shifting. I brought my car to a local transmission shop and they told me this is a common problem with Nissan vehicles. On their suggestion, I opened a case with Nissan customer affairs. They instructed me to bring it to the dealership for inspection and guess what? My car needs a new valve body and transmission for an estimated cost of $6,000 - a gross over estimate! Nissan contacted me to say they would offer no assistance. Everyone with a similar problem must join the class action suit underway!

Nothing - will never ever own another Nissan and will tell everyone I know to never consider them; if you own one now, sell before inherent problems surface!

Build a transmission that will last more than 62k miles - if not, stand by your customers and do the right thing!