2006 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Inherent transmission problem with '06 Maxima
By jaware on 07/11/13 19:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As others have stated - there is an inherent transmission problem with the '06 Maxima and other years as well. At 62k miles my transmission started to slip and the car jerked when shifting. I brought my car to a local transmission shop and they told me this is a common problem with Nissan vehicles. On their suggestion, I opened a case with Nissan customer affairs. They instructed me to bring it to the dealership for inspection and guess what? My car needs a new valve body and transmission for an estimated cost of $6,000 - a gross over estimate! Nissan contacted me to say they would offer no assistance. Everyone with a similar problem must join the class action suit underway!

2006 Nissa Maxima-Disappointment, Costly
By bmcgavin on 01/10/13 19:04 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So, like everyone else that seems to be writing reviews, my 2006 Maxima had transmission issues. I'll start at the beginning (which wasn't long ago). I bought the car for $12,000 from a used car dealership less than six months ago with 117,000 miles. I loved the car. It was one of the nicest cars I ever bought. I also bought a 2002 Altima brand new (loved it). Two weeks ago the transmission started slipping between 2 and 3rd gear and it would downshift when I let up on the gas. Also, the Service Engine Soon light came on. Took it in and low and behold, Transmission was all but gone and the catalytic converter was needing replaced. Out of luck the dealer told me. Traded for a 2010 Chev Impa

Picked-up Used
By bmac13 on 04/08/12 08:01 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used from my father about 3 month ago. The dealers were trying to fleece him on trade in value for a new vehicle. My family was growing and I needed a larger second vehicle. I was looking for a larger sedan with safety and reliability, but with some HP and was fun to drive. After looking at the new sedans (2010-2012) on the market I could not find a vehicle that had all of the features of the 2006 Maxima and under 25K. I was aware of the transmissions problems of the Maxima, fortunately, I knew the history of this Maxima and the transmission has not been a problem. If worse comes to worse, I'll be out 3K instead of 25K+ price tag of new vehicle with less quality.

One of the best cars on the market.
By ccleveland2012 on 03/01/12 07:19 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's a nice car guys. The neighbors love it, Strangers love it,people see it and they want to take it home. People with more expensive cars love it. A 80 year man looked at me and said that's a bad mama jama. Even though this generation of Maxima is a great car it has it's flaws but most of you will come to find this car is very reliable and has much better reliability then 90% of the vehicles on the market it wont leave you stranded.

Great speed, but oh so not worth it!!!!
By 1bzygirl on 02/09/11 16:01 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Shopping for a new car and just for kicks thought I would check out the reviews on my 2006 Maxima, can't believe so many people have had similar problems...let me see if anyone can top these, at 2 years my catalytic converter went out, at 3 years my transmission went out (right b4 warranty expired), my motor mounts have broken twice, oh yeah at 4 years my throttle body went out, end of 4th year my timing chain and air conditioner went out...now for my 5th yr anniversary my struts and suspension are out!!! I have spent well over 8k in repairs and maintanence....i am broke and now cannot afford to keep putting $$ into it, so am forced to get a new car or even buy a used one =(

Soooo Disappointed
By jc5053 on 01/21/11 13:33 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

1st thing first,....I bought this car brand new and had no problems UNTIL my 4th year (2010). The AC unit went out ($897),....HID lights turned pink and went out ($426) and now........(infamous drumroll),..........the transmission is bad, LOL! No, its not funny at all and my head is still spinning to the tune of $2500 repair bill that was freshly printed today. WOW is all I can say. On my way back from the shop,..this guy in traffic asked me if the car was good (as he's picking one up this week), I told him "nah man this car is a piece of junk, DON'T DO IT! 111k miles, 13 more payments and transmission problems are all I have to show for this car!

Shake your boody
By hogwildlane on 09/16/09 20:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

No turning radius at all, caused me some very sticky moments in u-turn type scenarios. Rear end eats tires for lunch >25000. Nissan said I was drifting based on tread wear. It does drift everytime you hit a bump. At 43 years old it has been quite some time since I spun out in the corners, memories of my '74 Nova in high school! Will not stay in alignment. Runs like a raped ape. Out run must on road but starts to shake at higher speeds. 6 speed manual/automatic is a blast but gas mileage suffers, < 20MPG in town. Interior quality very disappointing. 12 volt power port cover on console a joke compared to Altima set up. Very Noisy vehicle. Any one that rides on back has to yell to say anything

Great Used Car
By Cincy Runner on 09/03/09 10:16 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this 2006 Maxima SL as a used car in 2009. It was a lease turn-in with only 11,000 miles on it and bought it from a dealer for only $19,800. After driving it for 2 months now, I'm really impressed with it and have nothing negative to say. I have not seen or experienced some of the problems that other reviewers are reporting, so maybe they just got lemons. I commute about 35 miles a day, both stop and go traffic and highways, and get a very satisfied 23.7 mpg. The drive is smooth and the engine is powerful, not to mention quiet. It's a fun car to drive! I love the interior, with the leather seats and sky view roof. This is my second Nissan and would buy again no problem.

06 in hind site
By Bob on 07/07/09 01:12 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was my 3rd Maxima. No real issues. Have a 3 year lease and turning it back in and lease an 09 Had to replace OEM (Continental) tires at 26K even with Nissan dealership rotating at 5k intervals. Front brakes are ready to be replaced at 34K. Cruise control is very inconsistent especially on down hill situations. Engine is starting to run a little rough at 35K. I have no regrets with the vehicle. It was a very safe and reliable car for my wife to drive.

'06 NISSAN MAXIMA SL EXCLLENT
By Michael Schroll on 06/28/09 05:31 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've put nearly 10000 miles on this car after buy it used. Fast sporty handling solid structor and good looking are the that best describe it. Combined with room for are family and Nissan reliablity. I'd buy another.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.