Used 2006 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Too Bad
By apps10

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Have the manual transmission and have just loved this car for 7 years. Unfortunately Nissan had some major transmission issues. My car had the entire engine, transmission and cats replaced under warrantee just before it expired. Time to get rid of the car cause I anticipate the issues resurfacing. It has been a great sport sedan with the power and acceleration being the best features. The engine is silky smooth.

Engine

This is any easy fix
By critical2

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Guys this problem is easy to fix. I have a 2006 maxima and had the same problems with the tranny as everyone else here described. All you have to do is change your 3 linear solenoids in your valve body to so new after market ones made by a company called Rostra. it cost $240.00 for the parts and roughly 300 for labor. My are runs perfectly, just like new and that's all I did. You will be very satisfied with the results. Best,

Speed and handling

Fix faulty valve body once and for all

Inherent transmission problem with '06 Maxima
By jaware

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As others have stated - there is an inherent transmission problem with the '06 Maxima and other years as well. At 62k miles my transmission started to slip and the car jerked when shifting. I brought my car to a local transmission shop and they told me this is a common problem with Nissan vehicles. On their suggestion, I opened a case with Nissan customer affairs. They instructed me to bring it to the dealership for inspection and guess what? My car needs a new valve body and transmission for an estimated cost of $6,000 - a gross over estimate! Nissan contacted me to say they would offer no assistance. Everyone with a similar problem must join the class action suit underway!

Nothing - will never ever own another Nissan and will tell everyone I know to never consider them; if you own one now, sell before inherent problems surface!

Build a transmission that will last more than 62k miles - if not, stand by your customers and do the right thing!

2006 Nissa Maxima-Disappointment, Costly
By bmcgavin

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So, like everyone else that seems to be writing reviews, my 2006 Maxima had transmission issues. I'll start at the beginning (which wasn't long ago). I bought the car for $12,000 from a used car dealership less than six months ago with 117,000 miles. I loved the car. It was one of the nicest cars I ever bought. I also bought a 2002 Altima brand new (loved it). Two weeks ago the transmission started slipping between 2 and 3rd gear and it would downshift when I let up on the gas. Also, the Service Engine Soon light came on. Took it in and low and behold, Transmission was all but gone and the catalytic converter was needing replaced. Out of luck the dealer told me. Traded for a 2010 Chev Impa

Sunroof, Leather seats, great look, bluetooth hook up.

Transmission, Transmission, Transmission

2006 Nissan Maxima Tranny Problem -- NOT TRANSMISSION
By jjmarie97

2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 Maxima with 58K miles on it. Like many others, I started noticing gear shifting (auto trans) at about 98K miles, so I took it to the dealership that honored the warranty before it expired. They recommended I try a transmission flush, before the warranty company comes back and says I neglected to service my vehicle and refuses to pay for the transmission replacement. Which I did and it DID NOT fix the issues I was having (high RPM rev at random speeds, car slamming into gear, jarring forward out of 1st & reverse). Months passed and my car was in and out of the dealership shop trying one thing or another to resolve the problem. Eventually my warranty expired and surprise….I was on my own with repair cost! After several near death experiences due to the jarring and loss of acceleration at high rates of speed….I called a transmission shop that was recommended to me. Within 2 minutes of explaining the issues, he said “it’s not your transmission….it’s the Valve Body”. He explained to me that the transmissions are pretty solid (used in several models) and that the valve body is the “electronic brain” of the transmission. Even if you replace the transmission (not rebuild it), it will mostly continue to do the same things, since you never fixed the “electronic brain”. So speaking from experience in dealing with the same problems with my 2006 Maxima that many, many others have and are dealing with…DO NOT replace or rebuild your transmission and waste $5000 before you try the least expensive and most likely the cause of the issues (VALVE BODY), for $1500.00!! 

Size and comfort of vehicle

#1 Improvement: Headlamp cost & accessibility (replacing one is ridiculously hard & expensive)