Used 2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 263 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Nissan family
By D Koch

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is our families 3rd Nissan and we couldn't have asked for a better car. As long as you do regular maintenance these cars will drive forever. We currently have 181K miles on it and it's still running strong.

Great Car Lots of Repairs for me
By Katlynn

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car in 2012 as a going to college car. I paid $8,000 for the car and added on the Nissan Warranty. This is my 4th year with the car and I bought it with 140,000 miles it currently has 191,000 miles. So far the repairs I've had to put in it are ridiculous! I've had to replace both CV Axels, AC Compressor, Power Steering Pump, Power Steering Valve, Alternator, Lifters and Pulleys in the engine, Drivers Window (motor and regulator) and I'm sure there are other things that just aren't coming to mind right now. The total cost of all of this is well over $6,000. To replace the drivers window alone was $400. I've also had to buy 8 tires in the time frame I've owned it which a single tire costs between $175-$200. Its an expensive car to own but the luxury and amenities it offers are great! I love my car but it seems that once it hit 160,000 miles it started falling apart. Also DO NOT PURCHASE THE WARRANTY!! They replaced my AC Compressor and a pulley and told me they were done paying for things on my car because that expense was more than the original cost of the warranty. Other than the problems its had its been a very reliable car for me. I absolutely love it but don't fool yourself the parts for this car are EXPENSIVE!

Great Car, doesn't feel 10 years old
By Tyler

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great combination of sport and luxury. We purchased this car used in 2007 with 14k miles. It now has 160k. I have had my share of fun in the car with great acceleration, suspension, and steering. It also gets close to 30 mpg on the highway. The car doesn't look like its from 2005, the dash was far ahead of its time. The only issue we have had is the transmission started to go around 120k miles and have since had it replaced for a pretty penny. Other than that there have only been relatively in expensive repairs and minor rust ( but that is expected in the northeast). Great car for a mix of sportiness, luxury, and even decent fuel economy!

[non-permissible content removed]
By doug

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Yeah I said it. Transmission shifting from drive feels like someone's rear ending you at 35 mph. I've owned 3 Nissans, but you can believe ill never own one or recommend one to anybody. I cant believe they don't do something about this. Just shows how greedy the company is. Well how ever we do this lets make then fix it before someone gets hurt.

fast fun family ride
By mrjustin24

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Maxima used and got a great deal on it.
It was super reliable, super fast and had plenty of space.
This car was an awesome drive.
The exterior design was great in its day but aged quickly I feel like.
The dash design was stupid.
The fake suede material on the dash didn't fool anyone into luxury.
The rest of the car was great.
We had no problem squeezing 29-30 mpg out on the highway after being told by the dealership it would never happen.

Speed and handling

Rear wheel drive would make this car amazing