Only buy if it's a steal!!!
By travisbeamon on
2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
The car itself has been good to me for the three years I've owned it until recently. The transmission is garbage. Just like everyone else my Maxima bumps, randomly shifts, accelerates, and downshifts hard when stopping. Sometimes it won't even downshift when I stop it will stay in 3rd gear. Only 70k on the car. This car has been serviced on time by Nissan the entire three years I've owned it so it has been taken care of. It's just a known defect with these cars. I thought I bought a Nissan not a Dodge! $4500 to repair the transmission. Who's going to pay that much for a car that is 6 years old? I'm looking to trade it in and leave Nissan alone because they won't stand by their products!
Favorite Features
Power, Size, and Design
Suggested Improvements
The transmission! This car would be 100% perfect is the transmission was worth anything. No one buys a Nissan and expects the transmission to go out at 70k miles. And it's not just a lemon thing either. Check forums, thousands of people are having these issues! I thought the car would be good up until atleast 100k but I was wrong. Going back to Honda and ditching every Nissan in my yard because they are not taking care of their customers!
By josh37
on 09/13/11 19:05 PM (PDT)

Did rebuilding your transmission work?? Mine is in the shop right now to get the transmission rebuilt!

By travisbeamon1
on 09/10/11 19:52 PM (PDT)

Couldn't remember the password to my first name but anyways, my transmission has now completely failed. As you can see the first post was on Aug 24, the transmission went out on Sept 1. $2700 to rebuild the transmission. Do not buy this car. The transmission shop had three more Maximas of this body style there, I repeat, 3!!!! I talked to 1 of the owners there and he was in the same boat as me. I will never in my life buy another Nissan! Actually I'll probably sale this one ASAP! The transmission shop owner said the same thing we already knew. Nissan has a good car here except the transmission and they are sticking the owner's by not replacing them!