Avoid this 2005 Maxima
By rcs26 on
2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I have bought all new cars Malibu(150k), Camry(225K) & donated both cars while running good. Then I bought new Toyota sienna ( 252K & running good), I decided to buy new & different car & I bought brand new design Maxima "Nissan's Flagship Car" with so much hope. It ran good for 2 yrs & then started breaking down. Dealer fixed whatever was under warranty. After all warranties expired major things started breaking. I replaced all Camshaft sensors. A/C was fixed twice still leaking. Struts and tie-rods were replaced. Within last year timing chain guides & transmission broke, estimate ~$7000. Now I was told it leaks oil. Haven't decide whether to repair/resale. I still love to buy new Nissan.
Favorite Features
Nice interior & exterior. Very roomy, Great sound with Bose system. Very sporty.
Suggested Improvements
Recall and fix transmission problems. Even Consumer's report recommends to avoid 2005-2006 cars due to transmission problems. There is a class action law suit against Nissan for this problem. Also, use better quality parts in engine. Timing chain guides shouldn't wear at 100,000 miles. Old timing belt design was replaced with timing chain to improve quality. Instead they use cheap plastic guides inside engine. To open engine labor cost is ~1200. Dealers know these known problems. I have talked to several Nissan mechanics who are currently working or used to work at Nissan and they all agree with that. NISSAN, if you want to retain customers to buy more Nissan cars, please do something. :-(