2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
lemon??
By lynn on 02/18/08 21:26 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So $31k and 15 trips to the dealership later, needless to say, def never buy a Nissan again. Cheap interior components, rotten egg smell, chipping paint & peeling grille, falling headliner, etc. etc. Too many probs, not enough cooperation from dealership; they never fix ANYTHING. A total disappointment. Ive spent more $ on rental cars than I spent on the warranty itself. It is fun to drive, but the issues Ive had outweigh the 265hp engine. The interior suede door panels are hard to keep clean & the mpg stinks. It is an extremely safe car (been in front end & rear crash). But, not worth the money or the dozens of trips to the dealership. Blah. HATE IT. Never make that mistake again!

Just Short of Perfection
By Rob Federle on 02/14/08 17:28 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

One issue separates this car from the great review that it truly deserves - I'm talking about world class torque steer. When you jump on the gas, two things happen, exhilaration and the immediate need to latch on to the steering wheel. If you change the drive wheels to the rear pair, you'll have perfection.

Can't get repair parts from Nissan
By Al D on 12/28/07 15:21 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I loved my Maxima until the air conditioner died while on vacation (38000 miles) and now a coolant part which failed will be on back order for a total of 5 weeks before it it ships. I can't drive the car which only has 57000 miles on it. The Nissan consumer department hasn't helped so beware of the support you get after the purchase.

pretty good, could be better
By raw on 12/20/07 09:25 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have had this for for 2 years now and still look forward to driving it. Acceleration: Off the line is decent but there is lots of torque steer to get used to. Highway acceleration is pure bliss. I mean wow. It's a great looking car as well. The interior is kind of cheap and the climate control isn't very good. It gets good highway mpg (30ish) but if you floor it around town, you will get about 220 miles to a 22 gal tank. The turning radius is horrendous and the headlights are not very good and I can barely tell the difference when I turn the brights on. I have a shimmy in the brakes when I am braking downhill that no mechanic seems to be able to reproduce. Would seriously consider rebuying.

Good Vehicle to Date
By Corrpro on 07/12/07 05:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car new in Feb. 2005. I only drive it between 6000 and 7000 miles per year, so to date it only has about 15,000 miles. But it has been a very good car so far. Compared to my last 2 Dodge Intrepids (94 & 99) it is a much faster, smoother riding car. I love the features such as the heated seats and heated steering wheel. I do think that some interior improvements are needed, especially with the dashboard and controls. I haven't checked out the newer models yet, so maybe they have addressed this. As stated before, there have been 2 recalls, but I had no problem with either issue, and had them both taken care of during one visit to the dealership.

Not bad... not bad at all.
By usmcbigguns on 05/22/07 12:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Second Maxima for me and I have to say I am glad I went with another one. I am an outside sales rep and this car fits the bill perfectly, spacious, sporty, the right luxury features and Nissan reliability. My last Nissan I had (99 SE Ltd) had 176k on it when I traded it in for this car. If this one gets that same mileage I will be very happy. Ride is better then the old Max I had, turning radius is a lot larger though. Plenty of pick-up with respectable MPG. Any issues that I might have had with car I think were addressed with in the 07 Max (cheap and at first confusing controls, no aux input, cass deck? standard stability control). Great car... just buy it, you won't go wrong.

Forever in the with the max
By Jarvis Weber on 04/28/07 00:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Definitely fun to drive. It's the sedan of all sedans. I also owned a 99 limited edition, found it to be a bit small. Very pleased with the larger body, 18 inch wheels and dual exhaust.

Dollar store paint
By Mark on 03/14/07 06:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

My first Maxima... and last. Impressed with the ride, very confident and comfortable. Good upscale features like xenon headlights, electronic console display. However, comes up short in several respects. Bose stereo is a rip off - sounds boomy. Paint is extremely cheap and if I look close enough there are areas where the primer can be seen. The dealer, of course, says these are paint chips which they are not. I am confident Nissan used the best paint the dollar store had to offer. The metal is thin and when closing the doors the car sounds like a big tub. Drive by wire throttle system needs improvement - there is notable lag. Overall, not a value. European rivals are a better buy.

maxima
By Angel Baca on 03/03/07 10:05 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is a very fun and practical car. It turns a lot of heads with it's looks and drives really nice. I installed a K&N air filter and get about 29 MPG on the highway and about 21 MPG in town. Really enjoy. Test drove a Camry before this Maxima and it made my choice really easy.

05 Maxima SE
By Ron Hartley on 02/23/07 20:48 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This has been a great car, it's the third Maxima we've owned. Wish it had Nav. It hasn't been back to dealer for anything but scheduled service. The tires on the SE are not great in snow even with traction control. Took it to Mo., and it got 31.7 mpg on premium. Do not appreciate the torque steer or the soft paint, otherwise love the vehicle.