Used 2005 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

LOVE IT!
By the king

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Got it brand new in 05, it runs great extremely quick and very fast and the handling is awesome. Had to replace the struts once but was under warranty so there was no problem there. there is a lot of room in the back and front seats so you can fit 5 people easily even with the front seats all the way back. i would recommend the NISMo air intake adds about 15HP and you can really feel the difference. AWESOME car!

Maxima Cranks
By darren

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car second hand, just love it!!. Have had no troubles with it other than new rotors which is normal.The Maxima is SO QUICK off the line and can surprise Mustangs and other muscle cars. She's good on gas too. LOVE IT!!

Engine is so smooth and powerful, power keeps climbing.Bose system pretty sweet.

Stiff, clunky suspension. Cheap looking dash.

Bad Buy!
By pdmj

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Even though this car looks like a best buy in terms of price (even the newer models), this car will rip you apart in maintenance cost. All parts are 3 times as expensive as other cars in the category. Annual maintenance is about $1200 up 60000 miles and there after just pray to god! Your maintenance cost may go even upto $3000 / year. I have a Honda Odyssey bought at the same time as that of Maxima, but in terms of maintenance Odyssey has no major maintenance needs. In all I would say Nissan NO GO!

Looks, GPS, Power, Stereo

Fuel Efficiency, Maintenance Cost, Very Expensive spares

DO NOT BUY
By mkedra

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Everything was great til 50k miles. I'm at 62k now and within the past year I had the transmission replaced twice (common jerking problem between 1st and 2nd gear), the AC works whenever it feels like it, window defroster takes forever to defrost, Cd changer keeps skipping, the telescopic steering wheel is wobbling. Recently my ABS started to come on everytime I press the brakes, and the ABS pump stays on constantly. From the reviews I've read it looks like another $2000 job to fix... oh, and did I mention I need new motormounts? Yeah, I was told that happens when they replace your transmission... All these issues and no recalls, only service bulletins...

Heated steering wheel is great in the winter

Use Toyota as an example and issue some recalls!!! Transmission is made for a 2.5L engine and it can't handle a 3.5L...

Transmission Problem
By jesus

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I see there are a few bad reviews for transmission problems. Unfortunately I have the same problem with my Maxima. At about 60k it started having problems with tranny slipping. I believe Nissan should own up to their faulty transmission. I have lost faith in Nissan now. Good luck Nissan cause you'll need it.

Everything except transmission

Transmission and turn radius is poor