Used 2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Not a good buy!
By Not Happy

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car at about 20,000 miles and it was fine at first. But then started having problems and had to have the transmission replaced at about 70,000 miles, good thing I had extended warranty otherwise I'd be in the hole for about $5,000+! What a rip! So I took it in for an oil change and apparently it now has something cracked that leads to the transmission. SO OVER IT!

Favorite Features

Nothing!

Suggested Improvements

Everything!

Same Problems
By 818 latina

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for the past 5 years and its been very expensive. The same problems over and over again. The transmission gave up, the Ac doesn't work, timing belt has to be replaced. I am a teacher and I'm broke. I have to drive 40 miles every day hoping this car doesn't break on me. I replaced the transmission already but now there is another noise. I need a refund on this car. It is not good quality and its leaving a lot of us broke during these hard times.

Junk Car, Stay Away from Nissan.
By Junk

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought Brand new from dealership. Like interior and exterior but quality is bad. Coolant leaks cost $400 and Timing Chain also went bad $1500. A coworker had Frontier pick up also had the same problem. Google on Nissan cars and trucks with V6, it seems like common problem. Never heard timing chain replace before. Had 2004 Corolla with 162,000 miles and still running like brand new. Go with Toyota or Honda and forget nissan.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, climate controls, steering wheel controls, auto dim mirrors, and the comfort of leather.

Suggested Improvements

Build better quality cars and trucks. Improve customer service.

Nissan needs to be shut down
By deirdra

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

First please sign my petition we can complain all day online on blogs but unless something is done or someone dies nothing will be done. The car exterior design is great and fuel economy is great the rest of the car. Disappointing. I have everything from transmission engine and electrical issues. I have less than 60,000+ on it and started having issues after 30,000. I have taken the car to the dealer nothing was done contacted Nissan nothing was done. Nissan needs to pay for what their customers are going through. I recently had an accident do to the transmission jerking basically out of gear and I ran up on a curb that cost me $2000 in damages.

Favorite Features

I like the bose and the interior and exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Everything that isn't tied down and everything under the hood needs work.

I love it
By impeach obama

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The car was bought brand new and I have not had many problems with it, the struts had to be replaced once but that was under warranty so there was no problem there. Other than that the car runs perfect except for a rattling type noise that I think might be the timing chain but that's only heard at really low speeds when the engine is straining to go up a hill, I had it looked at and replaced but it makes the same noise. The car has around 61k on it and runs like its brand new. It is very very fast and really quick, it handles exceptionally well and it drives like a sports car I absolutely love it and have fun every time I drive it. I would recommend this car to anyone. P. S get the nismo intake.

Favorite Features

the engine, the BOSE stereo

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that I don't like about this car is that its fwd I really wish Nissan would make available an awd model or make the car rwd it would be more of a "4 door sports car" as Nissan calls it.