Used 2005 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 263 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Don't buy a Maxima!
By don'tdoit

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Like many others, my 2005 Nissan Maxima jerks when I put it into drive or reverse! There is a 3 second delay then it jerks. It happens when I am sitting at a light or have my car running then I put the car in drive from 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. When I am driving it's so bad I cannot sip my coffee. Feels as though the engine is going to fall out! Nissan refuses to recall this issue and fix the problem. After reading many complaints, I guess I should feel a little fortunate that this has happened to me at 120,000 miles instead of the average 80,000. I would not recommend this car at all to anyone!!!

Great radio (wow huh)

Everything from the touchy pedal, to the few a/c vents! Especially the transmission!

Don't buy
By cubs

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have 82,000 miles on the engine it's in the shop for a new engine

body

engine and trans

Good Car but requires maintenance
By GoLonghorns

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Maxima brand new. I now have 89,000 miles. I have been very happy with this car but maintenance items are very expensive. Other than regularly scheduled maintenance, the struts and A/C has been replaced. The sunroof sometimes will not close. The car is very fast but the turning radius for this car is VERY wide.

Bose stereo, comfortable ride, very quick.

Tighter turning radius. Chrome appearance items turn various colors.

Still going.
By JD

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car with less than 23,000 miles now I am over 60,000 the car is smooth and still fun to drive. As for mechanical issues I have had a few my transmission was changed out at 53,000 due to harsh down shifts usually between 2nd and third luckily the car was still under warranty and had to replace a rear wheel bearing recently. Otherwise I still love the car my average mpg is about 22 in the city and 29 on the hwy. It seems that the only major issue that people are having is the transmission (which cost a fortune to replace) otherwise the car is solid. Maybe Nissan will own up to there defect.

Power, radio, comfort, smoothness on the road.

Transmission, turn ratio.

Not a good buy!
By Not Happy

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car at about 20,000 miles and it was fine at first. But then started having problems and had to have the transmission replaced at about 70,000 miles, good thing I had extended warranty otherwise I'd be in the hole for about $5,000+! What a rip! So I took it in for an oil change and apparently it now has something cracked that leads to the transmission. SO OVER IT!

Nothing!