2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
not what i have experienced in the past
By d hadfield on 08/12/09 16:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

having been a previous maxima owner, I expected the same great performance as in the past. I sold my 2001 GLE and purchased the 2005 SE and have been disappointed in the gas mileage, the ride and the reliability. Give me back my older 2001.

Wonderful Car
By bfleshner on 08/07/09 09:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought new in Jan. 2005, now have 80,000 and have had no problems whatsoever! Power is great, gas mileage is consistent at 22.5 in town and 29.0 on the freeway using 89 octane. I've only had to do the regular maintenance, replaced tires and brakes at 68,000 with no surprises. Ride is on the firm side but that's why it handles so great.

Nissan Max base model is fine
By ye Stevens on 07/07/09 14:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've read the other reviews and compared to them my experience has been good. I never had to take it back during the warranty period. I can related to comments about occasional rotten egg smell, and very bad turning radius. But it's fun to drive and feels solid. Tires very pricey (I ruined one).

Transmission Gone @ 70K
By Phil on 05/29/09 19:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am very disappointed with my 2005 Nissan Maxima. My transmission is shot. Started around 60K.... been to the dealer several times. Nissan N America claims they are unaware of trans problems for this car. I know that's bull. Two many "Nissan Heads" are having this same problem. Is Nissan going to own up to this or what? This is my 3rd Max, unfortunately it will be my last! Mr Mech, do you have any advise for this $4,000 trans repair?

Staying with the Maxima line
By Shawn01 on 05/19/09 15:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my pathfinder le almost 2 years ago with 12,000 miles.. The car now has 35,000.. I have never had any problem with this car, it handles the snow amazingly since I live in Chicago. Much better car than 4runner or envoy. It has great look and performance and I am 100% satesfied with my purchase and I would buy it again.

Maxima Relief
By Manny Andujar on 04/27/09 06:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2005 Maxima is a lemon just like all other 2005 Maxima's. When your left speakers blow out(hit the side of the center console until they work again.) The transmission slips horribly. I have dealt with this for 2 years. I have finally found out what it is and no matter how bad, this should always fix it(there is a green module or sensor behind the throttle body. It is hidden towards the back against the firewall. Play with this, it should start to improve immediately do it everytime you turn the car on) I have been doing it for 2 weeks and am satisfied. Those of you who do not have maximas, DO NOT BUY NISSAN. The styling is nice but the problems are infinite. The car is only good for 1 year

Beautiful Max Very Safe
By saxguyck on 03/13/09 07:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my beautiful 05 maxima sl in early January and unfortunately got in an accident in the snow a month later and totaled it. The back end fishtailed going around a curve, I did a 360 and I hit the gaurdrail twice, once in the front and once in the back. Unfortunately, the car was totaled, but I was perfectly fine. The airbags didn't go off, I was able to drive the car for another week after the accident, but it would cost too much to fix. Car was amazing, roomy, had all features including a heated steering wheel! Fast too! I will purchase one again when I get my check from ins. Buy this car, just be careful in the snow. Very safe and tough. High quality.

Hope the new ones are better
By Blaine on 02/15/09 15:28 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Car looks great & handles well. Right away we had trouble with paint chipping on back door sill, dealer was no help even though other Maximas were better. 20000km chrome (plastic) on grille peeled but dealer replaced. 61000km the battery went, 81000km a rear well sensor went, ABS, slip & VDC not working. Replaced the sensor, 220km those features not working again. No problem getting it looked at, the problem is the bill that ALWAYS comes with it. Slight steering wheel vibration, other reviews scares me to thinking it could be bearings. Would I buy another? Not sure at this time, I like the looks of the 09, but am hesitant.

Mixed feelings...
By luckygrl1121 on 01/15/09 10:49 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2005 Maxima SE (used) about 6 mths ago. Loved it at first, but over time I've noticed some neg things. Sharp exterior though the chrome on the front grille is starting to peel off. I've noticed this is a common problem in these cars. It has a lot of get up and go, but the steering is a little unstable with acceleration. Also, rattling noise with accel. Handles terribly in the snow! I expected more from this car. Interior is roomy and comfortable, but kinda cheap & confusing. Defaults to A/C when you change the mode. Also, gas mileage is not as good as I thought it'd be. Turning radius is awful! Parking is more difficult than a car this size should be. Not sure I'll buy another.

I wouldn't buy another Nissan
By Lomesh on 01/05/09 10:41 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for just under 3 years and have had all sorts of problems. First there was this weird "air leaking" noise around the front-passenger side. Second, The exhaust bracket started making noise right around 30,000 miles. By this time I had moved to Dallas and a dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong with it at first. I had to take it back to them like 5 times before they could figure out what was wrong with it. They fixed it and the problem came back within 6 months. Also, about this time, the cover under the sun-roof fell. Now, just around 60,000 miles the air condition stopped worked. I would not buy a Nissan again