2005 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Love it, BUT.......
By josh37 on 04/30/11 20:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2005 Nissan Maxima SL with about 71000 miles on it, i now have 123000 on it. I LOVE the car and how it drives and looks. It has plenty of power. But, my transmission is slowly dieing on me. This is a common problem with these cars. I read the other day that, with these cars you have to change the transmission oil every 30,000 miles for it to last. I haven't decieded if i am going to get ride of it yet, or just replace the transmission. If i decide just to replace the transmission, i will make sure to change the transmission oil every 30,000 miles, if not earlier. I truely love everthing about this car.

Good Car + Investment
By maxima05_slse on 04/15/11 08:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it Used, on 2007 at a Nissan Dealer with 9,000 miles on it(Aprox.) Although is a Buy Back/Lemon Law Classified. I got a good Price and the Car was Just like New. the reason for the Owner to Return the Car was for some Gases Fumes from the Engine getting Inside the Cabin Area. They Fixed but the Client did not want the Car back. Dealer took it Back by Buy Back Program(AKA-Lemon Law Statues) Since, the Car did not have any mayor Problems with it. Just the Regular Maintenance Parts & Services. The only thing the Car was Fixed was the Sway Bar and some other Front Steering Parts but under the Warranty during 1st 3 months. It is a very Powerful Car and have Lot Space. Great Family Car.

Nissan sucks
By av_guy on 01/26/11 09:24 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Spoke to Nissan and they won't give me the time of day to help replace my transmission. It's been replaced once already and they won't listen. Besides the transmission, the lumbar system which was recalled is broken again, the fog lights have been replaced at least 6 times. Nissan has the worst customer service at their HQ. I wouldn't buy another Nissan. They don't care about their customers, so why should I patronize them by purchasing another vehicle from them. They really suck.

Don't buy any Maxima between 04-06.
By VKMaxima on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our car in Nov.of 2008. The car ran beautifully for about a year. Then around mid 2009 the car began jerking. The jerks became more and more violent as time progressed. We then had it checked by Nissan, but it was too late for the power-train warranty. Thankfully we purchased the CarMax Ext'd. warranty. Had the job done by AAMCO,and about two months later the problem arose again. They then replaced the valve-body,and its now running "better", but not like before. I truly love my Maxima,but I feel Nissan has neglected many of their customers. I just wished that Nissan took some responsibility for their actions. Overall it is a GREAT car. The 07-08 is a much better choice.

Very unhappy
By VERY UNHAPPY on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my maxima for quite some time now and I'm just experiencing the problems. I now have to replace my transmission, which seems to be a common problem with this car. And the transmission is very expensive. We are trying to find a cheaper route than the 4,000 price the transmission company is charging. But before the transmission I didn't have any problems. I think its quite unfair that EVERYONE is having the same problem with their car. That means its a problem in the manufacturing of this vehicle..And to think I was going to consider getting another maxima! I dont think so! not a good buy!

Our Maxima has been AWESOME!
By Wicksy on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It is sad to see all the issues some are having with their Maxima's. Ours has been problem free and we hope this continues. If the new one wasn't so expensive we would look at upgrading. Great car, and a great value.

Don't buy a Maxima!
By don'tdoit on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Like many others, my 2005 Nissan Maxima jerks when I put it into drive or reverse! There is a 3 second delay then it jerks. It happens when I am sitting at a light or have my car running then I put the car in drive from 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. When I am driving it's so bad I cannot sip my coffee. Feels as though the engine is going to fall out! Nissan refuses to recall this issue and fix the problem. After reading many complaints, I guess I should feel a little fortunate that this has happened to me at 120,000 miles instead of the average 80,000. I would not recommend this car at all to anyone!!!

Don't buy
By cubs on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have 82,000 miles on the engine it's in the shop for a new engine

Good Car but requires maintenance
By GoLonghorns on 08/30/10 15:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Maxima brand new. I now have 89,000 miles. I have been very happy with this car but maintenance items are very expensive. Other than regularly scheduled maintenance, the struts and A/C has been replaced. The sunroof sometimes will not close. The car is very fast but the turning radius for this car is VERY wide.

Still going.
By JD on 06/18/10 12:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car with less than 23,000 miles now I am over 60,000 the car is smooth and still fun to drive. As for mechanical issues I have had a few my transmission was changed out at 53,000 due to harsh down shifts usually between 2nd and third luckily the car was still under warranty and had to replace a rear wheel bearing recently. Otherwise I still love the car my average mpg is about 22 in the city and 29 on the hwy. It seems that the only major issue that people are having is the transmission (which cost a fortune to replace) otherwise the car is solid. Maybe Nissan will own up to there defect.