Used 2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Nukenight Nissan Maxima
By Nukenight

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Probably the best vehicle in the full size luxury class. We considered BMW 5 Series and Toyota Avalon, before deciding on the Maxima SL. It has been excellent riding, luxurious, gets good mileage (on regular, no less)! The extras are well thought out and well placed. Did not get Nav System or Power Moonroof, but love the Skyview roof. Average 23 mpg in combined city/hwy driving and almost 30 on hwy only. Only thing missing is the DRL system which would be a nice touch. Wife was even more enthusiastic that I about the styling. She was impressed with BMW, but cost too much. Said the Avalon was a 'hoo-hum' vanilla vehicle. "This is a real car!"

Favorite Features

Vehicle control system, radio/cruise controls on wheel, Auto-illumination system, styling and acceleration. Like a 350Z from the driver's seat forward.

Suggested Improvements

Better wood grain trim on the interior, less brushed-chrome trim. Make radio-control system displays a bit more intuitive and less cryptic. Add back copper color and add a forest green as well. Go to LEDs on rear lights as the Infinity does.

satisfied customer
By demore

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I drive approximately 2000/month all over the state of PA and am intending to drive Maxima to Florida in Jan. I have had no problems. This is my third Maxima. I always get it loaded with options, especially the sunroof.

Favorite Features

Tinted sunroof, automatic dimming and retractible side mirrors,manual option which is handy in winter snow, quickness and power, suto set driver seat adjustment

Suggested Improvements

sensors on bumper to beep when too close to car, wall, etc.

Nice car that needs some improvements
By Chicago_driver

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Sporty sedan with much nicer body design than Accord, Camry or Avalon. 265HP is more than average driver needs. Unfortunately you better keep both hands on the wheel when flooring the gas pedal - terrible torque steer. So used to my V8 T-Bird with RWD I almost crashed the car when accelerating while turning. Acura TL which I also considered for additional $1,500 didn’t have that problem and it had a lot nicer interior design. Too bad TL’s interior is even smaller than Altima’s. Front seats could be more comfortable (no upper back support). Driving 50% city – 50% hwy I only get 20mph not between 20 and 28 as stated on sticker. It costs me $50 to fill up the tank (recomended premium fuel :(

Favorite Features

Exterior design, 265HP, interior room, Navigation, 19" rims, BOSE, 6disc CD changer, heated steering wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of huge torque steer, leather interior should have leather on door panels not cloth, improve gas mileage, trunk opening could be bigger, redesign the stupid RETRO look on gauges

Bang for the buck
By J. Regier

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Best bang for the buck. I chose the SL over the Acura TL. The only things I gave up were better turning radius, blue tooth, and better cornering (I didn't get the vehicle stability system). However, low end torque is much better (watch the torque steer), and the amenities are much better as well. An example of this is the steering wheel audio control. Acura has the typical volume up/down, preset/track button. Nissan has a far more practical set-up w/ power on/off, mode (i.e. change btwn CD and the 18 presets), volume up/down and track up/down. Don't know why I need two subs, but the 320 watt Bose system rocks. Love auto-dim mirrors (three), ability to link seat/mirror set to keyfob.

Favorite Features

255 ft-lbs of torque, electric folding mirrors, heated seats/mirrors/steering wheel, navigation, sound system, smooth but sporty ride, auto on headlights (Xenon).

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius (my wife's Odyssey can do a circle inside it), blue tooth capability, paddle shifters on steering wheel, headlights should turn on automatically when wipers are on.

'THE BEST YET"
By George Allen Eiring

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had many cars in my life and the Maxama that I own now a 2005 Is the best car that I have owned yet. The performance is fabulous. The power is unbelievable and the outside design is the most beautiful car that I have owned Yet. A few times that I was in bumper to bumper traffic, I had some people roll down their windows and motion to me and then tell me how beautiful the car is. Nissan hit a home run with the Maxama and I will buy another one in a heart beat. Thank You Nissan. George Allen Eiring

Favorite Features

Power, style, roominess, handling and overall performance.Love the moon roof that is elongated from front to back of car.

Suggested Improvements

The position of the windshield wiper handle on the steering wheel. I keep hitting it and puting on the wipers. Its sort of in your hands way. No other imporvements that I can think of. Maybe one. The steering wheel should be the wood grain steering wheel that you see on luxury cars. Thank you.