Used 2005 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Almost a year
By Louisiana Drive

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my second SE almost a year now. I drive between 2500 to 3000 per month. As with the '03, the '05 is a fantasic car. It's comfortable, stylish, and fast. I can easily get 28 MPG doing 80 and got 32 MPG at 70. Look no further for a good car. The torque steer is noticable, but love the power when you step on the gas. You'll get used to it. Get the sun roof to really enjoy the car, it's worth the extra money.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, style, power.

Suggested Improvements

Backlit controls on steering wheel (now on the '06). Better turning radius and a trunk that pops completely open when you hit the button on the door or key fob.

Buyer Beware
By Robin

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The sunroof leaks in the car wash. After 3 attempts to have the problem fixed, I received a copy of the Nissan work instruction stating 'If water leaks occur only when using an automatic car wash or high pressure water spray, no repair is necessary'. All the positive aspects of the car are overshadowed by the leaking sunroof. Buyer Beware -- Nissan does not warranty the sunroof in a car wash and this information is not available to consumers prior to purchase. If you never use an automatic car wash, this is the car for you. Otherwise, buy a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Auto-adjusting steering column

Suggested Improvements

Quality of product and quality of customer service. Good luck getting anyone from Nissan to call you back when you're trying to resolve a problem.

Very Good Value
By John J

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my vehicle in May 2005. Negotiated hard and got it off the lot at dealer invoice plus an aggressive trade-in value. I love the car. It has performance, comfort and good looks all at a price signficantly lower than cars with a higher brand name. My only complaint is that the door handles are hollow and feel cheap and the gas milage is a little less than advertised. But if you are looking for a comfortable car with most options standard and good performance and not worried about the brand name, the Nissan Maxima is for you.

Favorite Features

Performance Standard options Quality

Suggested Improvements

Cheap doorhandles Fuel Economy

A good one
By mds

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very sporty looking car. Get a lot of looks. Lot's of interior room. Easy to get baby into car seat in rear. Like the security of side curtain air bags. Fun to drive. Need to have lighted controls on wheel. Need to get a better tire on the car. Goodyear SRA's are terrible for reliability and wear. 18" design means costly replacement. Easy to pass with all the power. Wish the car would ride softer in bumpy roads.

Favorite Features

ext. design, interior roominess,engine power

Suggested Improvements

shorter turning radius, get rid of 18" wheels, softer ride, lighted controls on wheel, different tires other than the junk Goodyear SRA. Consider Michelin as they perform on my other vehicles well!

My first Maxima
By The McGrath Clan

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had traded in my '01' Quest for this first time beauty. I am floored by its performance and handling. At first glance it is easy to mistake it for a heavy luxury car. Drive it once and put that myth to bed. It is 'practical' for the family issue, yet 'youthful' for some solo time. I actually wake up earlier than normal, ready to shred some much driven road. Cannot say enough what an absolute blast this car is to drive.

Favorite Features

265 horses. The power is phenomenal. The car glides for one destination to another. Fuel isn't as bad as I calculated. My quest had smaller engine and had greater fuel consumption. Still not the 20mpg sticker states, 17.5 is more practical.

Suggested Improvements

Torque steer is noticable, especially when you 'gently' brush the accelerator. Just hang on tight!!! GREAT CAR.