Used 2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Most Helpful|
Great looks, no reliability
By manny andujar

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Maxima for about 3 years now and I love it. This car performs, as well as offer great style. I take care of my car and I would expect it to last. Sadly it has me fed up with its annoying problems such as when I put the cd player on, the left side speakers don't work, the transmission jumps, the back of the car spins out easily, there is even an annoying flickering sound. Sometimes it reeks like rotten eggs, and the steering radius is horrible. I love my car, and I might not ever part with it. It has only 40,000 miles and when I can afford it I'm gonna have to get a new transmission, cat converter, cd player and new finger valves.

Favorite Features

Quick if well maintained, styling wont be beat, sound system amazing, more than enough room for 5 people. Great brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission. Even a manual trans. It needs an all wheel drive system. Traction stinks. Stronger engine. It simply cant compete with newer cars. It looks great but when compared it wont stand up to the competition

Problem with frontend
By Val

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Fun car to drive and has a great pick up and go but keep having problems with the front end. I have replaced both wheel bears, brakes & tires with only have 58K. still making a noise like the brakes are low when I stop but when I replace the bearings it stopped the steering wheel from shaking.

Favorite Features

I love it when I have to punch it to get in front of a slow driver. Very fun to drive. Love the heated steering wheel. Never thought I would use it but on a cold morning it comes in handy.

Suggested Improvements

They need to do more work on the front end. Don't try to make a u-turn and too many problems with front end. Don't think I would buy again.

Not a good buy!
By Not Happy

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car at about 20,000 miles and it was fine at first. But then started having problems and had to have the transmission replaced at about 70,000 miles, good thing I had extended warranty otherwise I'd be in the hole for about $5,000+! What a rip! So I took it in for an oil change and apparently it now has something cracked that leads to the transmission. SO OVER IT!

Favorite Features

Nothing!

Suggested Improvements

Everything!

My 2005 Pearl-Xima
By vkmaxima

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well my last review was in November 2010, and I must say my car is doing great. Even though it is 6 years old, I still get plenty of compliments. The ride quality, performance, and basic usability in this car has been awesome. I get about 24.7 MPG, on premium fuel, in mixed driving. City is about 19-23 MPG, and 30-33 MPG on the highway. As for the transmission, now that I've realized, I should have checked the transmission oil often than rely on the manufactures recommendation. It's been over a year since the rebuilt, and she is still shifting smoothly. I do the oil change myself, and ONLY use Nissan's K-Matic Oil. Do it yourself, it's MUCH cheaper than having the dealer do it for you.

Favorite Features

Performance, performance, performance!!! The ride quality is quite nice, I don't understand why people expect it to drive like a Rolls Royce. The suspension on the SL is very comfortable, but does not lack performance or stability. The Bose speakers are awesome, but sometimes the sub-woofers tend to be a little too much. Other great features like the Xenon lights, Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel, Memory Seating, Heated Seats/Steering Wheel ect really make you feel as if this were a premium German luxury car.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission period..... I really feel Nissan has neglected all their customers by not enforcing ANY kind of recall. I would like the turning radius to be a TAD bit better. Then again this is a pretty long car. I'd include the engines mounts, but they shot out because of the transmission's violent shifts. Overall I think I'll be keeping my Maxima for a very long time.

Cam Crank Sensors 200K+miles 2005 Nissan Max
By margiea4

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2005 with 13K miles - not perfect on the maintenance, but I do take care of it. This car has surpassed 200K miles (do a lot of driving). Problem with transmission and dash warnings with TCS with car stalling not shifting into gear. Transmission shop wanted 3800.00 :-(. Got second opinion and got computer analysis. Spent $160.00 on sensors and hubby did the work. Hubby automatic Hero Status :-). Car runs like a baby again. Thank you YouTube.

Favorite Features

Car has had minimal problems. Did the major tune up at 200K miles and it needed a engine gasket replacement - $380.00

Suggested Improvements

Headlights :-( they keep turning yellow and are more dim). Continue to clean and polish.