Used 2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Avoid this 2005 Maxima
By rcs26

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have bought all new cars Malibu(150k), Camry(225K) & donated both cars while running good. Then I bought new Toyota sienna ( 252K & running good), I decided to buy new & different car & I bought brand new design Maxima "Nissan's Flagship Car" with so much hope. It ran good for 2 yrs & then started breaking down. Dealer fixed whatever was under warranty. After all warranties expired major things started breaking. I replaced all Camshaft sensors. A/C was fixed twice still leaking. Struts and tie-rods were replaced. Within last year timing chain guides & transmission broke, estimate ~$7000. Now I was told it leaks oil. Haven't decide whether to repair/resale. I still love to buy new Nissan.

Nice interior & exterior. Very roomy, Great sound with Bose system. Very sporty.

Recall and fix transmission problems. Even Consumer's report recommends to avoid 2005-2006 cars due to transmission problems. There is a class action law suit against Nissan for this problem. Also, use better quality parts in engine. Timing chain guides shouldn't wear at 100,000 miles. Old timing belt design was replaced with timing chain to improve quality. Instead they use cheap plastic guides inside engine. To open engine labor cost is ~1200. Dealers know these known problems. I have talked to several Nissan mechanics who are currently working or used to work at Nissan and they all agree with that. NISSAN, if you want to retain customers to buy more Nissan cars, please do something. :-(

I bought a Headache
By george_ok

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Recently I bought a 2005 Maxima without enough prior research (In fact I went to the dealership to buy a Honda and the Salesman convinced me to buying this one instead.) Now, after reading all these horrible reviews about 2004-06 Maxima, everyday I start the car fearing that the transmission is going to fail......it is a real pain to drive a car that we cannot trust....

UPDATE ON TRANSMISSION....
By josh37

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have two other reviews on this car. I bought it used with around 60,000 miles on it. Drove perfect until around 119,000. Like ever other 2004-2006 maxima, the transmission started jerking, kicking, and slipping. I really like this car. I had the car put in the shop when it had 127,000 miles on it, to have the transmission rebuilt. They had it for about 2 weeks (shop was really busy). I picked it up and he said that he did not replace the transmission (took it to a private transmission speciallest, not nissan dealer) he put a Shifter Kit in it and flushed the transmission fluid and not the car has 132,000 miles on it and drives smooth, on occasions it will slip but hardly noticable.

Power, BOSE system, leather heated seats, cofotable ride.

Front seats sit to high up even when i have it low as the seat will go, makes me feel like im sitting in the air. TRANSMISSION, Timing chain "whine". Mine has "whined ever sence about 100,000 miles but i am not paying 1500 to get it fixed. Doesnt bother the driving, or power of the car.

My 2005 Pearl-Xima
By vkmaxima

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well my last review was in November 2010, and I must say my car is doing great. Even though it is 6 years old, I still get plenty of compliments. The ride quality, performance, and basic usability in this car has been awesome. I get about 24.7 MPG, on premium fuel, in mixed driving. City is about 19-23 MPG, and 30-33 MPG on the highway. As for the transmission, now that I've realized, I should have checked the transmission oil often than rely on the manufactures recommendation. It's been over a year since the rebuilt, and she is still shifting smoothly. I do the oil change myself, and ONLY use Nissan's K-Matic Oil. Do it yourself, it's MUCH cheaper than having the dealer do it for you.

Performance, performance, performance!!! The ride quality is quite nice, I don't understand why people expect it to drive like a Rolls Royce. The suspension on the SL is very comfortable, but does not lack performance or stability. The Bose speakers are awesome, but sometimes the sub-woofers tend to be a little too much. Other great features like the Xenon lights, Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel, Memory Seating, Heated Seats/Steering Wheel ect really make you feel as if this were a premium German luxury car.

Transmission period..... I really feel Nissan has neglected all their customers by not enforcing ANY kind of recall. I would like the turning radius to be a TAD bit better. Then again this is a pretty long car. I'd include the engines mounts, but they shot out because of the transmission's violent shifts. Overall I think I'll be keeping my Maxima for a very long time.

IM OVER IT!!!
By josh37

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with bout 60,000 miles on it. Ive had for about 3 years and im now at 124,000 miles. I loved this car at first, but now, i don't even like driving the car because of the AWFUL transmission! It's so bad! I will NOT replace the transmission! I have been driving with it jerking and hesitating for about 5 months and i am trading it in this weekend! I have been looking at the 2008-2010 Honda Accords and that is probably what i am gonna end up getting. This car is just a head ache now! I have had two previous maxima's and they were GREAT! I wish i never would have gotten ride of my 2003 maxima.

Handling.