2005 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
I bought a Headache
By george_ok on 01/10/12 19:39 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Recently I bought a 2005 Maxima without enough prior research (In fact I went to the dealership to buy a Honda and the Salesman convinced me to buying this one instead.) Now, after reading all these horrible reviews about 2004-06 Maxima, everyday I start the car fearing that the transmission is going to fail......it is a real pain to drive a car that we cannot trust....

UPDATE ON TRANSMISSION....
By josh37 on 10/24/11 13:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have two other reviews on this car. I bought it used with around 60,000 miles on it. Drove perfect until around 119,000. Like ever other 2004-2006 maxima, the transmission started jerking, kicking, and slipping. I really like this car. I had the car put in the shop when it had 127,000 miles on it, to have the transmission rebuilt. They had it for about 2 weeks (shop was really busy). I picked it up and he said that he did not replace the transmission (took it to a private transmission speciallest, not nissan dealer) he put a Shifter Kit in it and flushed the transmission fluid and not the car has 132,000 miles on it and drives smooth, on occasions it will slip but hardly noticable.

My 2005 Pearl-Xima
By vkmaxima on 09/27/11 17:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well my last review was in November 2010, and I must say my car is doing great. Even though it is 6 years old, I still get plenty of compliments. The ride quality, performance, and basic usability in this car has been awesome. I get about 24.7 MPG, on premium fuel, in mixed driving. City is about 19-23 MPG, and 30-33 MPG on the highway. As for the transmission, now that I've realized, I should have checked the transmission oil often than rely on the manufactures recommendation. It's been over a year since the rebuilt, and she is still shifting smoothly. I do the oil change myself, and ONLY use Nissan's K-Matic Oil. Do it yourself, it's MUCH cheaper than having the dealer do it for you.

IM OVER IT!!!
By josh37 on 05/31/11 13:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with bout 60,000 miles on it. Ive had for about 3 years and im now at 124,000 miles. I loved this car at first, but now, i don't even like driving the car because of the AWFUL transmission! It's so bad! I will NOT replace the transmission! I have been driving with it jerking and hesitating for about 5 months and i am trading it in this weekend! I have been looking at the 2008-2010 Honda Accords and that is probably what i am gonna end up getting. This car is just a head ache now! I have had two previous maxima's and they were GREAT! I wish i never would have gotten ride of my 2003 maxima.

Love it, BUT.......
By josh37 on 04/30/11 20:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2005 Nissan Maxima SL with about 71000 miles on it, i now have 123000 on it. I LOVE the car and how it drives and looks. It has plenty of power. But, my transmission is slowly dieing on me. This is a common problem with these cars. I read the other day that, with these cars you have to change the transmission oil every 30,000 miles for it to last. I haven't decieded if i am going to get ride of it yet, or just replace the transmission. If i decide just to replace the transmission, i will make sure to change the transmission oil every 30,000 miles, if not earlier. I truely love everthing about this car.

Good Car + Investment
By maxima05_slse on 04/15/11 08:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it Used, on 2007 at a Nissan Dealer with 9,000 miles on it(Aprox.) Although is a Buy Back/Lemon Law Classified. I got a good Price and the Car was Just like New. the reason for the Owner to Return the Car was for some Gases Fumes from the Engine getting Inside the Cabin Area. They Fixed but the Client did not want the Car back. Dealer took it Back by Buy Back Program(AKA-Lemon Law Statues) Since, the Car did not have any mayor Problems with it. Just the Regular Maintenance Parts & Services. The only thing the Car was Fixed was the Sway Bar and some other Front Steering Parts but under the Warranty during 1st 3 months. It is a very Powerful Car and have Lot Space. Great Family Car.

Nissan sucks
By av_guy on 01/26/11 09:24 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Spoke to Nissan and they won't give me the time of day to help replace my transmission. It's been replaced once already and they won't listen. Besides the transmission, the lumbar system which was recalled is broken again, the fog lights have been replaced at least 6 times. Nissan has the worst customer service at their HQ. I wouldn't buy another Nissan. They don't care about their customers, so why should I patronize them by purchasing another vehicle from them. They really suck.

Don't buy any Maxima between 04-06.
By VKMaxima on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our car in Nov.of 2008. The car ran beautifully for about a year. Then around mid 2009 the car began jerking. The jerks became more and more violent as time progressed. We then had it checked by Nissan, but it was too late for the power-train warranty. Thankfully we purchased the CarMax Ext'd. warranty. Had the job done by AAMCO,and about two months later the problem arose again. They then replaced the valve-body,and its now running "better", but not like before. I truly love my Maxima,but I feel Nissan has neglected many of their customers. I just wished that Nissan took some responsibility for their actions. Overall it is a GREAT car. The 07-08 is a much better choice.

Very unhappy
By VERY UNHAPPY on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my maxima for quite some time now and I'm just experiencing the problems. I now have to replace my transmission, which seems to be a common problem with this car. And the transmission is very expensive. We are trying to find a cheaper route than the 4,000 price the transmission company is charging. But before the transmission I didn't have any problems. I think its quite unfair that EVERYONE is having the same problem with their car. That means its a problem in the manufacturing of this vehicle..And to think I was going to consider getting another maxima! I dont think so! not a good buy!

Don't buy
By cubs on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have 82,000 miles on the engine it's in the shop for a new engine