Used 2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

RECALL
By krudulph

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Don't buy this car, I have experienced one problem after another from the transmission failing in 2 years from the catalytic converter and solenoid failing at 5. That is over $8,000 in repairs. Do your homework on the Maxima years 2004-06 (mine is a 2005). There is a class action lawsuit against Nissan. Beware, this is an absolute lemon!

Not a good buy!
By Not Happy

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car at about 20,000 miles and it was fine at first. But then started having problems and had to have the transmission replaced at about 70,000 miles, good thing I had extended warranty otherwise I'd be in the hole for about $5,000+! What a rip! So I took it in for an oil change and apparently it now has something cracked that leads to the transmission. SO OVER IT!

Favorite Features

Nothing!

Suggested Improvements

Everything!

Sexy car
By Ashlee

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I recently passed the 100K mark on the odometer and the problems have begun :( Randomly driving one night it felt like I was not going to stop while braking, it turns out Nissan diagnosed the ABS actuator pump as "bad". $ 2200 to fix, I had just put brand new front and rear brakes, new tires x 4, and a new battery. I have taken very good care maintenance wise, and Nissan will not work with me at all. Disappointed with the car? No- I am however very displeased with Nissan and not being willing to help me despite the technical service bulletins on NUMEROUS 2005 Maxima ABS actuator pumps :( Also have have both fog lights and head lights replaced at least 3-4 times each light!!!

Favorite Features

I LOVE the car! But it seems to have a few flaws. Design wise it is very sexy, and sophisticated.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the weld on the catalytic converter so it quits breaking!!! And fix the problem with the ABS actuator pump. Then the car just may very well be perfect :)

not what i have experienced in the past
By d hadfield

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

having been a previous maxima owner, I expected the same great performance as in the past. I sold my 2001 GLE and purchased the 2005 SE and have been disappointed in the gas mileage, the ride and the reliability. Give me back my older 2001.

Favorite Features

appearance, power and fun of driving. I also like the sound system

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage is not as expected. The ride is poor when compared to the previous maxima I owned and the noise during operation is poor.

Wonderful Car
By bfleshner

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought new in Jan. 2005, now have 80,000 and have had no problems whatsoever! Power is great, gas mileage is consistent at 22.5 in town and 29.0 on the freeway using 89 octane. I've only had to do the regular maintenance, replaced tires and brakes at 68,000 with no surprises. Ride is on the firm side but that's why it handles so great.

Favorite Features

Bullet proof engine. Love the Bose stereo. Very comfortable on long drives. You have to get the power sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Brake rotors warp easily in front causing shimmy in the front end. Chrome on front grille beginning to peel.