Used 2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Nissan family
By D Koch

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is our families 3rd Nissan and we couldn't have asked for a better car. As long as you do regular maintenance these cars will drive forever. We currently have 181K miles on it and it's still running strong.

Great Car Lots of Repairs for me
By Katlynn

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car in 2012 as a going to college car. I paid $8,000 for the car and added on the Nissan Warranty. This is my 4th year with the car and I bought it with 140,000 miles it currently has 191,000 miles. So far the repairs I've had to put in it are ridiculous! I've had to replace both CV Axels, AC Compressor, Power Steering Pump, Power Steering Valve, Alternator, Lifters and Pulleys in the engine, Drivers Window (motor and regulator) and I'm sure there are other things that just aren't coming to mind right now. The total cost of all of this is well over $6,000. To replace the drivers window alone was $400. I've also had to buy 8 tires in the time frame I've owned it which a single tire costs between $175-$200. Its an expensive car to own but the luxury and amenities it offers are great! I love my car but it seems that once it hit 160,000 miles it started falling apart. Also DO NOT PURCHASE THE WARRANTY!! They replaced my AC Compressor and a pulley and told me they were done paying for things on my car because that expense was more than the original cost of the warranty. Other than the problems its had its been a very reliable car for me. I absolutely love it but don't fool yourself the parts for this car are EXPENSIVE!

RECALL
By krudulph

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Don't buy this car, I have experienced one problem after another from the transmission failing in 2 years from the catalytic converter and solenoid failing at 5. That is over $8,000 in repairs. Do your homework on the Maxima years 2004-06 (mine is a 2005). There is a class action lawsuit against Nissan. Beware, this is an absolute lemon!

Not a good buy!
By Not Happy

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car at about 20,000 miles and it was fine at first. But then started having problems and had to have the transmission replaced at about 70,000 miles, good thing I had extended warranty otherwise I'd be in the hole for about $5,000+! What a rip! So I took it in for an oil change and apparently it now has something cracked that leads to the transmission. SO OVER IT!

Nothing!

Everything!

Sexy car
By Ashlee

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I recently passed the 100K mark on the odometer and the problems have begun :( Randomly driving one night it felt like I was not going to stop while braking, it turns out Nissan diagnosed the ABS actuator pump as "bad". $ 2200 to fix, I had just put brand new front and rear brakes, new tires x 4, and a new battery. I have taken very good care maintenance wise, and Nissan will not work with me at all. Disappointed with the car? No- I am however very displeased with Nissan and not being willing to help me despite the technical service bulletins on NUMEROUS 2005 Maxima ABS actuator pumps :( Also have have both fog lights and head lights replaced at least 3-4 times each light!!!

I LOVE the car! But it seems to have a few flaws. Design wise it is very sexy, and sophisticated.

Improve the weld on the catalytic converter so it quits breaking!!! And fix the problem with the ABS actuator pump. Then the car just may very well be perfect :)