2005 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
RECALL
By krudulph on 01/24/12 14:06 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Don't buy this car, I have experienced one problem after another from the transmission failing in 2 years from the catalytic converter and solenoid failing at 5. That is over $8,000 in repairs. Do your homework on the Maxima years 2004-06 (mine is a 2005). There is a class action lawsuit against Nissan. Beware, this is an absolute lemon!

Not a good buy!
By Not Happy on 06/08/10 09:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car at about 20,000 miles and it was fine at first. But then started having problems and had to have the transmission replaced at about 70,000 miles, good thing I had extended warranty otherwise I'd be in the hole for about $5,000+! What a rip! So I took it in for an oil change and apparently it now has something cracked that leads to the transmission. SO OVER IT!

Sexy car
By Ashlee on 08/14/09 04:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I recently passed the 100K mark on the odometer and the problems have begun :( Randomly driving one night it felt like I was not going to stop while braking, it turns out Nissan diagnosed the ABS actuator pump as "bad". $ 2200 to fix, I had just put brand new front and rear brakes, new tires x 4, and a new battery. I have taken very good care maintenance wise, and Nissan will not work with me at all. Disappointed with the car? No- I am however very displeased with Nissan and not being willing to help me despite the technical service bulletins on NUMEROUS 2005 Maxima ABS actuator pumps :( Also have have both fog lights and head lights replaced at least 3-4 times each light!!!

not what i have experienced in the past
By d hadfield on 08/12/09 16:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

having been a previous maxima owner, I expected the same great performance as in the past. I sold my 2001 GLE and purchased the 2005 SE and have been disappointed in the gas mileage, the ride and the reliability. Give me back my older 2001.

Wonderful Car
By bfleshner on 08/07/09 09:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought new in Jan. 2005, now have 80,000 and have had no problems whatsoever! Power is great, gas mileage is consistent at 22.5 in town and 29.0 on the freeway using 89 octane. I've only had to do the regular maintenance, replaced tires and brakes at 68,000 with no surprises. Ride is on the firm side but that's why it handles so great.

Nissan Max base model is fine
By ye Stevens on 07/07/09 14:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've read the other reviews and compared to them my experience has been good. I never had to take it back during the warranty period. I can related to comments about occasional rotten egg smell, and very bad turning radius. But it's fun to drive and feels solid. Tires very pricey (I ruined one).

Staying with the Maxima line
By Shawn01 on 05/19/09 15:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my pathfinder le almost 2 years ago with 12,000 miles.. The car now has 35,000.. I have never had any problem with this car, it handles the snow amazingly since I live in Chicago. Much better car than 4runner or envoy. It has great look and performance and I am 100% satesfied with my purchase and I would buy it again.

Mixed feelings...
By luckygrl1121 on 01/15/09 10:49 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2005 Maxima SE (used) about 6 mths ago. Loved it at first, but over time I've noticed some neg things. Sharp exterior though the chrome on the front grille is starting to peel off. I've noticed this is a common problem in these cars. It has a lot of get up and go, but the steering is a little unstable with acceleration. Also, rattling noise with accel. Handles terribly in the snow! I expected more from this car. Interior is roomy and comfortable, but kinda cheap & confusing. Defaults to A/C when you change the mode. Also, gas mileage is not as good as I thought it'd be. Turning radius is awful! Parking is more difficult than a car this size should be. Not sure I'll buy another.

I wouldn't buy another Nissan
By Lomesh on 01/05/09 10:41 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for just under 3 years and have had all sorts of problems. First there was this weird "air leaking" noise around the front-passenger side. Second, The exhaust bracket started making noise right around 30,000 miles. By this time I had moved to Dallas and a dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong with it at first. I had to take it back to them like 5 times before they could figure out what was wrong with it. They fixed it and the problem came back within 6 months. Also, about this time, the cover under the sun-roof fell. Now, just around 60,000 miles the air condition stopped worked. I would not buy a Nissan again

2005 maxima
By TMoore on 09/23/08 21:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I own a 2005 Nissan and I get lots of compliments and several friends purchased one after I allowed them to drive mine. Awesome torque on the highway, great maneuvering and handling. This is my 2nd Maxima and I really enjoy my car however, my a/c was out of coolant after @18 months. I only received notice about 1 recall, dislike cheap interior panel. Motor mounts needed replacing after around 86K