2005 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

2005 Maxima Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
fast fun family ride
By mrjustin24

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Maxima used and got a great deal on it. It was super reliable, super fast and had plenty of space. This car was an awesome drive. The exterior design was great in its day but aged quickly I feel like. The dash design was stupid. The fake suede material on the dash didn't fool anyone into luxury. The rest of the car was great. We had no problem squeezing 29-30 mpg out on the highway after being told by the dealership it would never happen.

Favorite Features

Speed and handling

Suggested Improvements

Rear wheel drive would make this car amazing

Avoid this 2005 Maxima
By rcs26

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have bought all new cars Malibu(150k), Camry(225K) & donated both cars while running good. Then I bought new Toyota sienna ( 252K & running good), I decided to buy new & different car & I bought brand new design Maxima "Nissan's Flagship Car" with so much hope. It ran good for 2 yrs & then started breaking down. Dealer fixed whatever was under warranty. After all warranties expired major things started breaking. I replaced all Camshaft sensors. A/C was fixed twice still leaking. Struts and tie-rods were replaced. Within last year timing chain guides & transmission broke, estimate ~$7000. Now I was told it leaks oil. Haven't decide whether to repair/resale. I still love to buy new Nissan.

Favorite Features

Nice interior & exterior. Very roomy, Great sound with Bose system. Very sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Recall and fix transmission problems. Even Consumer's report recommends to avoid 2005-2006 cars due to transmission problems. There is a class action law suit against Nissan for this problem. Also, use better quality parts in engine. Timing chain guides shouldn't wear at 100,000 miles. Old timing belt design was replaced with timing chain to improve quality. Instead they use cheap plastic guides inside engine. To open engine labor cost is ~1200. Dealers know these known problems. I have talked to several Nissan mechanics who are currently working or used to work at Nissan and they all agree with that. NISSAN, if you want to retain customers to buy more Nissan cars, please do something. :-(

Cam Crank Sensors 200K+miles 2005 Nissan Max
By margiea4

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2005 with 13K miles - not perfect on the maintenance, but I do take care of it. This car has surpassed 200K miles (do a lot of driving). Problem with transmission and dash warnings with TCS with car stalling not shifting into gear. Transmission shop wanted 3800.00 :-(. Got second opinion and got computer analysis. Spent $160.00 on sensors and hubby did the work. Hubby automatic Hero Status :-). Car runs like a baby again. Thank you YouTube.

Favorite Features

Car has had minimal problems. Did the major tune up at 200K miles and it needed a engine gasket replacement - $380.00

Suggested Improvements

Headlights :-( they keep turning yellow and are more dim). Continue to clean and polish.

At 150k and still going strong...
By johnboy1015

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2005 new and have had very few problems. Check engine light recently came on but mechanic told me it's a misfire and will likely be fixed with a tuneup...which the car has never had, ashamed to say. Have never owned a car this long...nor wanted to. But looking to hand it down to my son

Favorite Features

Engine performance, Bose CD system is very nice...my ears will blow before the speakers. For being paid off, it's a great car for now.

Suggested Improvements

Issue with ABS after 5 years, but nothing out of the ordinary. As the car gets older you need to fix things like CV joints, struts, etc.

mone pit
By redfur1977

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been the best and worst I have ever owned. The car handles great. Gets 30 mpg at 70mph. Wasnt expensive. Beautiful to look at. But it has been the most un reliable piece I have ever had the displease of owning. Bought the car with 100k. Two weeks after buying it transmision rebuild($4400). Then broke the cv joints because the transmission stressed them slamming into gear before the rebuild. Them a complete suspension rebuild. Now it need timing chain guides. Memory seats never worked. I have had over $8000 in repairs to this car and now..... The transmission is goin out again at 160k. Cant wait to get me an american car. FIrst and last Jap car I will own.

Favorite Features

fast, pretty sittin still.

Suggested Improvements

fix the reliability and it will be a good car.

Good car for Transmission Repair Shops
By gregsandiego

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Add me to the list of people with a Nissan Maxima and a bad transmission. Mine had only 52,000 miles when the thing started slipping and lurching in the low gears. A trip to my local transmission specialist confirms the worst, at a cost of $3100 to $4000 to repair.

Favorite Features

Jerks in the low gears - exciting.

Suggested Improvements

Trade-in program for Toyota.

Transmission problems
By cardenasj2038

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a new 2005 Nissan Maxima and recently I have had some transmission issues. The gears have been sticking and slipping and so I took it to the dealership and was informed that I need a new transmission and that my warranty expired 890 miles before I took it in (my warranty on the transmission was until the car reached 60,000 miles). The dealership then informed me that it would cost $5300 to replace this. I did some research on the internet and found out that I am no the only person with this issue, and I also noticed that it is a widespread issue for the model year I have.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

How about taking care of your customers and retaining them by making quality cars and standing behind them when that quality is compromised, because of a known defect. Your customers should not have to get together and file a class action lawsuit for you to do a recall and or warranty extension because of a problem you KNOW exists.

The Four-Door Sports Car
By jphinney

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car has a bit of an acquired taste. It isn't very pretty when you first look at it, with its big shiny braces, and enormous wheels. It almost seems obnoxious, this one. The end is rather fat, the front is awful to look at, but there is something about this car that keeps you hooked. The inside is nothing to brag about, but what's under the hood, that's a whole different story.

Favorite Features

What I really love about this car is the sensation you get while you're driving it. When you open the door, the car greets you and welcomes you into the cabin. Not only that, but you are also welcomed by the sound of a 3.5 liter V6 engine that sends an impressive 265bhp to the front wheels from either a 5spd automatic, or 6spd manual transmission. Speaking of engines, when you put your foot down, everything about this car changes. This once heavy loathsome car is now light as a feather. It roars to a top speed of 140mph. There is a sensation that you can turn any corner, anywhere at a constant speed of 107mph. It's simply astonishing.

Suggested Improvements

Apart from the many positives of this car, there are but a few drawbacks. - It isn't very pretty, - It would be easier to maneuver Jupiter through a parking lot - It gets God awful gas mileage. Unless you are on the freeway. - The interior feels like the folks at Nissan were blind folded when it was assembled. - It would be easier, and quicker to drive to the sun to get a sufficient amount of heat. That's what a sports car is. It isn't very attractive but you love it. And that's how I feel about this car. I would never expect to get the thrill out of it that you do. It's something you won't regret doing.

good car for first 3 yrs
By davechi

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

purchased my 2005 maxima on sept 2004, commuted every day from nj to queens, the commute was long but driving was enjoyable.in 2008 transmission was jerking, was told i needed a new transmission, had to buy a new one from nissan for $3,000 & the piece after the catylytic converter had to be replaced for another $800. car had 108k milesmy mechanic is a nissanmechanic, he told me these trans is not strong enuff for the engine, after 100k miles, th timing chain needs to be replaced, & the gaskets in engine start leaking esp, the one by oil filter. also replace valve cover gaskets, changed new tires, will ride this car to the ground since its paid off, had a good run with this car, will getnext

Favorite Features

fav feature, the handling & the power 265 hp.smooth driving

Suggested Improvements

get rid of bose system, they all break, OEM good year tires are horrible, terrible wet weather traction, nissans arent the only cars to have tranny problems, honda has it also, when they come out with these engines with close to 300 ho, sometimes the tranny cant handle the power, esp if engine & tranny are builtr in the US, cause infinitys do not have the same problems

RECALL
By krudulph

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Don't buy this car, I have experienced one problem after another from the transmission failing in 2 years from the catalytic converter and solenoid failing at 5. That is over $8,000 in repairs. Do your homework on the Maxima years 2004-06 (mine is a 2005). There is a class action lawsuit against Nissan. Beware, this is an absolute lemon!