2005 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
fast fun family ride
By mrjustin24 on 06/24/14 12:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Maxima used and got a great deal on it. It was super reliable, super fast and had plenty of space. This car was an awesome drive. The exterior design was great in its day but aged quickly I feel like. The dash design was stupid. The fake suede material on the dash didn't fool anyone into luxury. The rest of the car was great. We had no problem squeezing 29-30 mpg out on the highway after being told by the dealership it would never happen.

Avoid this 2005 Maxima
By rcs26 on 04/24/14 10:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have bought all new cars Malibu(150k), Camry(225K) & donated both cars while running good. Then I bought new Toyota sienna ( 252K & running good), I decided to buy new & different car & I bought brand new design Maxima "Nissan's Flagship Car" with so much hope. It ran good for 2 yrs & then started breaking down. Dealer fixed whatever was under warranty. After all warranties expired major things started breaking. I replaced all Camshaft sensors. A/C was fixed twice still leaking. Struts and tie-rods were replaced. Within last year timing chain guides & transmission broke, estimate ~$7000. Now I was told it leaks oil. Haven't decide whether to repair/resale. I still love to buy new Nissan.

Cam Crank Sensors 200K+miles 2005 Nissan Max
By margiea4 on 02/19/14 10:56 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2005 with 13K miles - not perfect on the maintenance, but I do take care of it. This car has surpassed 200K miles (do a lot of driving). Problem with transmission and dash warnings with TCS with car stalling not shifting into gear. Transmission shop wanted 3800.00 :-(. Got second opinion and got computer analysis. Spent $160.00 on sensors and hubby did the work. Hubby automatic Hero Status :-). Car runs like a baby again. Thank you YouTube.

At 150k and still going strong...
By johnboy1015 on 04/11/13 12:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2005 new and have had very few problems. Check engine light recently came on but mechanic told me it's a misfire and will likely be fixed with a tuneup...which the car has never had, ashamed to say. Have never owned a car this long...nor wanted to. But looking to hand it down to my son

mone pit
By redfur1977 on 03/21/13 11:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been the best and worst I have ever owned. The car handles great. Gets 30 mpg at 70mph. Wasnt expensive. Beautiful to look at. But it has been the most un reliable piece I have ever had the displease of owning. Bought the car with 100k. Two weeks after buying it transmision rebuild($4400). Then broke the cv joints because the transmission stressed them slamming into gear before the rebuild. Them a complete suspension rebuild. Now it need timing chain guides. Memory seats never worked. I have had over $8000 in repairs to this car and now..... The transmission is goin out again at 160k. Cant wait to get me an american car. FIrst and last Jap car I will own.

Good car for Transmission Repair Shops
By gregsandiego on 06/03/12 19:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Add me to the list of people with a Nissan Maxima and a bad transmission. Mine had only 52,000 miles when the thing started slipping and lurching in the low gears. A trip to my local transmission specialist confirms the worst, at a cost of $3100 to $4000 to repair.

Transmission problems
By cardenasj2038 on 05/24/12 12:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a new 2005 Nissan Maxima and recently I have had some transmission issues. The gears have been sticking and slipping and so I took it to the dealership and was informed that I need a new transmission and that my warranty expired 890 miles before I took it in (my warranty on the transmission was until the car reached 60,000 miles). The dealership then informed me that it would cost $5300 to replace this. I did some research on the internet and found out that I am no the only person with this issue, and I also noticed that it is a widespread issue for the model year I have.

The Four-Door Sports Car
By jphinney on 04/18/12 15:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car has a bit of an acquired taste. It isn't very pretty when you first look at it, with its big shiny braces, and enormous wheels. It almost seems obnoxious, this one. The end is rather fat, the front is awful to look at, but there is something about this car that keeps you hooked. The inside is nothing to brag about, but what's under the hood, that's a whole different story.

good car for first 3 yrs
By davechi on 04/18/12 04:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

purchased my 2005 maxima on sept 2004, commuted every day from nj to queens, the commute was long but driving was enjoyable.in 2008 transmission was jerking, was told i needed a new transmission, had to buy a new one from nissan for $3,000 & the piece after the catylytic converter had to be replaced for another $800. car had 108k milesmy mechanic is a nissanmechanic, he told me these trans is not strong enuff for the engine, after 100k miles, th timing chain needs to be replaced, & the gaskets in engine start leaking esp, the one by oil filter. also replace valve cover gaskets, changed new tires, will ride this car to the ground since its paid off, had a good run with this car, will getnext

RECALL
By krudulph on 01/24/12 14:06 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Don't buy this car, I have experienced one problem after another from the transmission failing in 2 years from the catalytic converter and solenoid failing at 5. That is over $8,000 in repairs. Do your homework on the Maxima years 2004-06 (mine is a 2005). There is a class action lawsuit against Nissan. Beware, this is an absolute lemon!