DONT BUY A 2004 MAXIMA
By lynnfrct on
2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
Bought it with 19K - now have 86K. 3rd set of brakes and 4th set of tires. Now replacing the tranny & timing belt for over $5K. Before the ext warranty expired I told dealer I was having transmission issues. They said it was the motor mount which they repaired. Once out of warranty the tranny went completely. Appealed to Nissan NA - no success. Asked local service manager why I should put in another Nissan tranny and he said "Dont worry they fixed the problem" admitting there were issues with the 2004 trannys. There is a class action suit for the trans if anyone is interested. Last car payment is next month. Tears. No more car payments but a huge charge bill for repairs.
Favorite Features
Lots of bells and whistles. Heated steering wheel my favorite - cold in the north. Lots of road noise - have to really crank up the radio - waste of the Bose system. Peeling of the "chrome' accents on grill and top of doors like everyone else. Very uncomfortable ride - bumpy - had to have shocks and struts replaced at 55K miles, which is ridiculous. Now that I put over 8K into repairs at 86K miles I am going to pray that this car will last me a few more years with no major expense. No more Nissans for me though.
Suggested Improvements
Seriously fix the tranny. Resolve the road noise issue. Why do brakes and tires go so quickly? Why is the car so uncomfortable to drive? They are money pits.