Used 2004 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

First & Last
By j. simms

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Nissan and probably the last. I have had many nuisance problems, like oil drips after each oil change. Latest shock is A/C Evaporator leaking and needs to be replaced ($1,500). At 41K miles this is unbelievable! The only sympathy from dealer is s---happens! Good bye Nissan J.S.

Favorite Features

good acceleration & comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Drives like a boat. Feels like steering the Queen Mary.

I've had the same problems
By amber13131313

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The performance of the car is right up there is definitely fun to drive for sure. All in all I like my car if it come with all the fixing I've had to do to it.I never had problems with it until it was crashed except for a battery dieing on my first day of work. after the insurance company paid $15,000 to fix yes that amount is right. about 4 months later I started having problems with it they never should have fixed it they should have totaled it out. It broke down at a light i got it started a few times to make it to the gas station across the street before it died again. I had it towed to nissan. i will continue on please read next review to find out more.

Favorite Features

6 cd changer, leather interior, users 1 and 2 settings for seat and tilt wheel, nice sounding stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

don't buy this car unless it comes with more than a 60,000 mile warranty i would suggest more like 100k mile warranty just because of all the problems.

Very sad and disapointed
By Kara Slocum

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 1st new car and it was my 2004 Nissan Maxima SE. after 74,000 miles; 4k over warranty my transmission is shot along with 2 motor mounts. Nissan of North America had the worst customer service ever and does not want to help with anything! $43,000 for my 1st car that lasted 74k. wow my heart is broken, dont know if I will ever by a Nissan again. I plan on writing a letter to the CEO; lets all try that, just maybe will get somewhere???

Favorite Features

Look and comfort

Suggested Improvements

RECALL due to Transmission and motor mounts

Worse Nissan Ever
By ttranrx

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my maxima for 5 years and already have transmission problems. It will cost me $4000 to get a rebuilt transmission which is horrible for a 5 year old car. Will never buy a Nissan for a long time. Would warn anyone buying a Nissan Maxima and for them to google Nissan Maxima and transmission problems.

Favorite Features

Heated stearing wheel.

Suggested Improvements

tranmission and suspension

Never Again Nissan!
By Connie Winstead

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Worst auto purchase I ever made. Hate the wide turn radius, the low profile tires don't last and provide a bumpy ride. Numerous expensive repairs, most recently the transmission went out, started slipping out of gear, jerking, reving up unexpectedly. Cost to repair $4,000 and Nissan won't do anything to help because it is 6,000 miles out of warranty, although there have been numerous problems with these Maxima transmissions. This car cost over $30,000 but now is only worth $8,000 at best.Poor gas mileage also. Body dents very easily. Bose stereo doesn't stay tuned.

Favorite Features

Body style Leather interior Heated seats and steering wheel Stereo control on steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

Too numerous to mention but especially the turn radius and transmission.