Used 2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Best car i've owned so far
By Pukestorm82

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my car exactly 1 year ago with 72k miles, now it has 90k and have had no problems at all besides general maintenance. After reading all the bad reviews about transmission problems I bought a 3 year extended warranty and have yet to use it.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, style, comfort

Suggested Improvements

wish i had a 6 speed instead of 5 speed.

Worst car I've owned
By Eric

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 3rd and last Maxima I will own. The car is/was beautiful and had all the perks, leather, heated seats, sunroof, heated steering wheel, Bose. I always got compliments on what a good looking car that is was. But that was it. During the 5 years of owner ship, replaced brakes 3 times, rotors twice, 3 wheel bearings, 1 steering knuckle, AC system had a leak at factory fitting, the rear end could not be aligned and ate tires every few months, and the transmission started to go (Google it). I hear many of the same complaints from this $30k+ car. Got to the point that I did not enjoy driving it because I was worried of what would go wrong next. Now I drive a 2009 Hyundai Sonata that I love!

Favorite Features

Power, looks and Power.

Suggested Improvements

reliability, and back the faulty transmission that is a common problem.

Problems and more problems
By newsmaker

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you are considering this car, don't buy it. We bought new and paid down in 3yrs. Always told service at dealership about jerky movements when shifting and accelerating. Transmission began having major problems at 56K miles. Took it to Nissan shop and they suggested trans oil change. Did not wanted to hook it to scanner. They said car did not need it. Now at 62K miles it is being repaired ($2K at auto shop) and Nissan won't respond. This car can endanger the driver's and passengers life. Will never buy Nissan again.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior

good car but nothing special
By pv

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used from a family friend 2 years ago. It is at 76k miles and has not had any major problems. I feel like the car is mid-range in every aspect. For instance, the V6 engine is responsive but nothing like a sports coupe. It gets decent gas mileage but nothing spectacular. I like the look and design of the interior, but the materials used makes it feel a little cheap. Overall I think this car is good at a lot of things but great at nothing. It looks and feels more sporty than my Mom's Camery, but has all the same practical uses. It is a rational choice for someone looking for a functioning car with a little more flare than your average sedan.

Favorite Features

exterior and interior design. feels very big and roomy on the inside. large trunk. bose sound system.

Suggested Improvements

I hated the orange LED used in the gauges and screen for a long time. I kind of got used to it now. I wish there wasn't a huge gap between the front fender and the front wheel. A one inch drop would change the whole look for the car in my opinion. The car is relatively noisy on the highway.

Don't ever buy this car
By theresamon

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I own 2004 Maxima. Worst car on road. Bad struts, bad brakes. Makes clunking noises. Nissan USA has denied any problems with this car, but I have been plagued by many. Will never again by a Nissan vehicle. I think they will be facing worse problems than Toyota is currently facing. They are denying brake problems, but I guess after I get killed when mine fail they'll listen.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Nissan USA needs to start listening to the people who buy their products and stop brushing them off.