Used 2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 679 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Best Car I've EVER owned
By TexasGypsie

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After reading the bad reviews, I had to weigh in on how pleased I am with my Maxima. I'm the original owner and have 112,000 miles on it. It has been the perfect car. I've had great reliability, smooth ride, excellent gas mileage and comfortable interior. I love my heated seats, excellent sound system, roomy interior and large truck. This car has not disappointed me and I'm sure I'll be looking to Nissan for my next car!

Xenon headlights, automatic garage opener on rear view mirror, heated seats, controls on steering wheel, heated steering wheel. Smooth ride and excellent acceleration when passing.

Turning radius isn't good and poor rear visibility.

Not Up to Par
By Pat

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is not up to par for the cost. New was well over $30,000. I have had brake problems, the CD player skips, the a/c has stopped all together, and now it is making a knocking noise. I will be getting rid of it because I do not want to sink more money in it. It is a shame that Nissan did not pay as much attention to the Maxima as the Altima. If I had it to do over again I would have saved and bought the Altima. Now I will never buy another Nissan, i don't care what they are selling.

Trunk size and heated seats

The interior looks cheap. Never do so many upgrades on the lower model Altima, to the point where the Altima outpaces the top of the line Maxima. Bad corporate move.

Nissan, a great car!
By pat

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was very surprised by some of the negative reviews I read because this has not been my experience at all. I have never had any problems with the car itself and love driving it and riding in it. It has beautiful styling, rides very comfortably, and has great power which is so important in metropolitan areas where one must accelerate on to highways.Fuel economy on the highway can go as high as 32 mpg with correct fuel but is lower around town 21 mpg .

The only problem I have had is with the CD player.

I hate this car
By Nacole Gusler

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my car brand new and have had nothing but trouble since. Sunroof opens by itself, window motor has been replaced several times, major transmission problems, replaced brakes several times, replaced axles, struts wheel barrons and calibers. This is just the beginning of my list. I hate this car, I will NEVER buy another Nissan due to this. This is the worst experience i have ever had with a car, and the dealership has never been very helpful. Told them about my transmission and their response was stuff happens. too bad it happens to most or all 2004 nissan maximas and nothing will be done about it!

recall the transmission problems

Great Car
By efy

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car in March of 2010, with 85,000 miles; it now has 96,000, after only 5 months. So far, it has been a very reliable, roomy, and comfortable family car. We average around 24.5 mpg. On a recent 300-mile trip, I averaged 31.2 mpg with luggage and a passenger. The front seats are comfortable, but the seat backs are shaped oddly, and can become annoying. The back seat is huge, and is more comfortable than the front. It is very enjoyable to drive, with lots of power, engaging handling, and a firm yet compliant ride. It is quiet inside, with only minor road noise. The BOSE sound system sounds great, and the radio display is excellent. I would highly recommend this car to anyone.

Handling, ride, room, power, smooth and willing engine, smooth-shifting transmission, fuel economy, heated seats, radio display, rear seats, large trunk without intrusive hinges, styling, Xenon headlamps, do I have all day?

The back of the front seats are supportive up to the middle of the back, then they run off and leave you. What's up with that? Torque steer is apparent, but manageable. Visibility to the rear isn't great; style trumps function here, which isn't always a bad thing. The 12V outlets are hidden!