2004 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Runs like new @ 75K
By Seboe61 on 01/08/09 20:31 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the car brand new in 2004. Now have 75K miles. Still drives like new and still having fun driving it. Great Bose sound system (not sure why it has a tape player, never used it). Does not drive well in Wisconsin weather. Low pro tire needs replacement every 40K and pricey. Replaced by front grill b/c of peeling (common issue). Nissan great about fixing recalls. Overall pretty satisfied.

Never Again
By Patrick J. McShane on 12/22/08 05:31 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Maxima 3.5 SL brand new and I maintain it religiously. I owned a 1997 and that was one of the best cars I ever owned. This is probably the worst car I ever owned. Two recalls, the transmission went 100 miles before the warranty expired. Front grille replaced 3 times because of peeling. Brake problems. Had all the documentation and got zero satisfaction from Nissan. Latest - ABS problem, rear bearings, etc. All expensive repairs. Wrote a letter to the President of Nissan - no response. I will never ever ever buy another Nissan product.

More Pros Than Cons
By j Hudson on 12/19/08 16:25 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Saw this car while on vacation in Florida and fell in love with it. It's a very competent road car, with powerful acceleration and a roomy cabin. Styling (other than grille) is top notch. Had to replace front shocks under warranty and now there is a vibration in steering wheel. I hope can be remedied with tire balancing, but have read many complaints in the past about wheel/tire issues related to this. Overall, have been very happy with car and it's the best one I've ever owned.

Great car, too bad it burns oil!
By KevinWilkin on 11/08/08 09:22 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've read some reviews, and see the same problems I have. Minor things such as peeling grilles, easily scratched interior plastic & routine balancing the tires I can live with. My Max started to burn oil at 60K. Now before you all say I abused the car, I'm a grown 50 year old male that drives normally, changes oil every 4K etc. Of course when I brought the car in at 60K for the oil burning I'm told, "sorry out of warranty". Fine, just remember Nissan, a happy customer tells his friends about a great car. A scorned customer tells the world!

Happy So Far
By Bill on 09/19/08 08:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Well I have to say my experience has been very good with my Max. I have only had 2 recalls (both done at the same time) and no other issues. I'm up in age so I'm not incline to put this car through its paces, but I have had to step on it hard sometimes to avoid other drivers. The car really accelerates. It is way more safe than my last vehicle in this manner. I have confidence to pull out in traffic and know I can pull away from approaching cars.

Love it!
By Jake on 09/10/08 19:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased the SL edition and I have to say I love it! Fun to drive, alot of pep (fast), so many interior options but most of all comfort. Great handling and good on gas. Not your typical sedan that's for sure. I also own a 1998 Maxima that has a ton of miles but, runs like the day I bought it. I definetly recommend Maximas they always have more to offer then comparable sedans and are the most reliable of any other car I have owned including Honda.

Unhappy 2 the Max
By bizyB on 08/29/08 21:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used, after trading in my Acura RL (mistake!). With this car you feel every bump. My passenger side door has become so hard to close, that you get a work out every time you close it. My ABS sensor went bad which cost me big $$$ before they found out what was causing my brakes to make such an awful noise. When I first got it the power steering came and went whenever. I see why the younger crowd like the car, it is fast and sexy, but us older guys like luxury with our speed. I am trading it for a BMW the first chance I get.

Disappointed overall
By Sad in KC on 08/07/08 10:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought brand new 2004 was a great car until it needed tires rotated from that point on we had a shimmy in the front end. Steering wheel vibration very bad on highway at 50+. Dealer changed struts, we changed tires with good year, then GY took back and made allowance on new tires still had vibration. No matter what it had to have tires balanced every 1000, 1500 miles to not vibrate. Also breaks make noise all the time even after have them changed at dealer. Turning radius is awful, don't try to park the car without backing up and pulling in again every time. Love the car, hate the problems, traded for a Toyota Avalon 2008

After 4 Nissans, this may be my last
By Kevin on 07/05/08 07:55 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

First I'll confirm the complaints others had: 3 peeling grilles replaced under warranty before I gave up, turning radius make this care a bear to park, plastic trim pieces in interior are easily scratched. The final blow for me: I'm burning 1 qt oil/750 miles. I do frequent oil changes and have never abused the car. I noticed the problem at around 65K and now have 80K. Dealer says, "sorry out of warranty".

Electrical Problems
By Mark on 06/27/08 11:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

After a few months of owning the car, the coils went out (cost $800). Six months later same thing plus wiring harness (cost $2,800). A few weeks later same exact thing, only they replaced the computer in the car (under warranty). A few weeks later, the same thing, and now another computer and coil pack. The computer fried everything over and over again. My car has had the computer replaced 4 times. The last time I went back to the dealership, I had them look at the history, and the original owner had the same problem. The car has been repaired at the Nissan dealer every time. I have spent numerous hours on the phone with Nissan Corporate, with no help what so ever. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR