2004 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
only problems
By marian TIGANU on 02/07/10 07:31 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The car look great but the praise stops there. I spent over $5000 in repairs. ABS replaced (@2500), bearings wheel ($1000) axle shaft ($500), fuel rail ($450) to name just a few. I spend more time dealing with the problems of this car than with any other car I owned, and I have quite a few The dealership service was very unprofessional and rough, All in all I wouldn't recommend this car to anybody to buy.

Tramission shot, engine mount broken
By Tiffany Pham on 11/24/09 10:10 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 1995 maxima and love it. still runable. bought 2004 and clunk noise when put in reverse to drive gear, brought to nissan dealer and diagnose front engine mount is broken (i have no car accidents)replaced it for $600, clunk noise did not go away. Brought back to nissan dealer and suggest me to replace the transmission due to "internal failure" cost me another $4000 to replace a new transmission. Reported and complained to Nissan Cooperate and waiting to hear from them. I think I got a defect transmission part and it can be a wear and tear on front mount engine when my car is only 84K on millage... very disappointed on Nissan, my whole family and husband voted out on Nissan.

SHIFT AND HAVE FUN
By LIGHTMIX on 09/10/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had ny car for a year now,I love it. It's fun to drive and sorry bmw don't get mad at me if you can't say with me on an open road.I love my BOSE SOUND SYSTEM. Shift and have fun.

Horrible Car
By SM on 08/19/09 09:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I can't believe after owning this car for two yrs i have so much problems. It first started with the engine mount having to be changed, then came the jerk when going from reverse to drive, then the a/c stopped working had to change the expansion valve. What's gonna happen next...I wld not recommend anyone to buy a 2004 Maxima, alot of my friends with the same car have had similar problems. My next car will def not be a Nissan!

I LOVE this vehicle!
By dee on 08/13/09 10:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I read a lot of the previous reviews and I think the main issue here is maintenance of a sporty vehicle. I usually get 28 MPG in town and 30-40 MPG on the open road (averaging over 80 MPH). Other than regular maintenance and fixing the suspension parts that my kids have bent over the years, I haven't had any problems. I do replace tires nearly every year because I have the suspension set tight, nearly race ready (remember this is the same suspension the Mercedes Compressor has). I am an aggressive driver that loves to drive at high speeds on the open road. I have had the recalls done and my grill is still great. I am finally putting spark plugs and a K&N filter in it after nearly 90k miles.

Dont buy this car
By kelly on 08/08/09 21:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have had nothing but trouble with this car. I will never buy a Nissan again. The turn radius is similar to a huge truck. I kept getting flat tires because the chrome kept peeling from the wheels and the tires would not bond to the wheel and hold in the air. The transmissions are faulty. I have seen many reviews from others with the same transmission problem. I am sure Nissan knows about the bad transmissions. They told me when it was in warranty that it was broken motor mounts. I would not expect to have 2 broken motor mounts unless I hit something. A few hundred miles later and out of warranty transmission goes south. The interior buttons are cheap plastic and they crack and break lose.

Wouldn't buy it again
By Rachel on 07/25/09 19:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car after owning an Acura and a Camry. Both the Acura and Camry which are now 15 years old have had less problems than this Maxima. Had to have transmission replaced after warranty ran out. AC compressor had to be replaced. Motor went out on the driver seat and it will not move- not worth the expense ($250) to replace it. There is a constant rattle in the back panel. Nissan has not helped one bit with any of this or with the poor service and the run around I got at a particular Nissan dealership. Lastly the interior design with the radio, temp control, etc. is terrible and difficult to use while driving with all those buttons. I will never buy another Nissan. Get a Camry!

04 in 2009
By Guitarman on 06/28/09 21:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Just bought and I like it but every thing i have read about reviews is there, Wheel shimmy at 45, brakes pull when stopping, seats not comfy, sunroof stopped working, so will the rest happen too? I hope not it only has 11,000 miles on it and i do like it, and its mint shape like new, oh well hope i helped some one else, Gas milage is great 385 miles a tank full gas

Best Car I Ever Owned
By Paddy on 06/18/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Let me begin by saying you want fuel economy then buy a Honda Civic. Other than that this is the best car I ever owned! The styling, the comfort, quiet, ride, handling, performance, everything is tops. What car could top this?? Yes a BMW ... but for twice the price! I would recommend this car to anyone any day as the perfect car.

This is my third Maxima
By Millie on 06/15/09 19:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great car inside and out. Comfortable and exciting to drive. Only objections are the poor turning radius and the occasional tendency of the car to "get away" from you when accelerating under certain conditions, two flaws I knew about before purchasing, but which did not deter me because Maximas are so reliable. Also, original set of tires went 60K miles before needing replacement. I owned 1989, 1994 and 2004 models and liked them all. Had zero mechanical problems. Drove the 1994 for 10 yrs, 105K miles and sold it for $5K. I do a lot of highway driving and this car is fantastic for long trips.