2004 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Worst car I've owned
By Eric on 05/07/10 09:55 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 3rd and last Maxima I will own. The car is/was beautiful and had all the perks, leather, heated seats, sunroof, heated steering wheel, Bose. I always got compliments on what a good looking car that is was. But that was it. During the 5 years of owner ship, replaced brakes 3 times, rotors twice, 3 wheel bearings, 1 steering knuckle, AC system had a leak at factory fitting, the rear end could not be aligned and ate tires every few months, and the transmission started to go (Google it). I hear many of the same complaints from this $30k+ car. Got to the point that I did not enjoy driving it because I was worried of what would go wrong next. Now I drive a 2009 Hyundai Sonata that I love!

Problems and more problems
By newsmaker on 04/18/10 17:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you are considering this car, don't buy it. We bought new and paid down in 3yrs. Always told service at dealership about jerky movements when shifting and accelerating. Transmission began having major problems at 56K miles. Took it to Nissan shop and they suggested trans oil change. Did not wanted to hook it to scanner. They said car did not need it. Now at 62K miles it is being repaired ($2K at auto shop) and Nissan won't respond. This car can endanger the driver's and passengers life. Will never buy Nissan again.

good car but nothing special
By pv on 04/06/10 07:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used from a family friend 2 years ago. It is at 76k miles and has not had any major problems. I feel like the car is mid-range in every aspect. For instance, the V6 engine is responsive but nothing like a sports coupe. It gets decent gas mileage but nothing spectacular. I like the look and design of the interior, but the materials used makes it feel a little cheap. Overall I think this car is good at a lot of things but great at nothing. It looks and feels more sporty than my Mom's Camery, but has all the same practical uses. It is a rational choice for someone looking for a functioning car with a little more flare than your average sedan.

Don't ever buy this car
By theresamon on 03/05/10 12:07 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I own 2004 Maxima. Worst car on road. Bad struts, bad brakes. Makes clunking noises. Nissan USA has denied any problems with this car, but I have been plagued by many. Will never again by a Nissan vehicle. I think they will be facing worse problems than Toyota is currently facing. They are denying brake problems, but I guess after I get killed when mine fail they'll listen.

First & Last
By j. simms on 03/04/10 20:47 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Nissan and probably the last. I have had many nuisance problems, like oil drips after each oil change. Latest shock is A/C Evaporator leaking and needs to be replaced ($1,500). At 41K miles this is unbelievable! The only sympathy from dealer is s---happens! Good bye Nissan J.S.

I've had the same problems
By amber13131313 on 02/27/10 09:58 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The performance of the car is right up there is definitely fun to drive for sure. All in all I like my car if it come with all the fixing I've had to do to it.I never had problems with it until it was crashed except for a battery dieing on my first day of work. after the insurance company paid $15,000 to fix yes that amount is right. about 4 months later I started having problems with it they never should have fixed it they should have totaled it out. It broke down at a light i got it started a few times to make it to the gas station across the street before it died again. I had it towed to nissan. i will continue on please read next review to find out more.

Very sad and disapointed
By Kara Slocum on 02/26/10 21:17 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 1st new car and it was my 2004 Nissan Maxima SE. after 74,000 miles; 4k over warranty my transmission is shot along with 2 motor mounts. Nissan of North America had the worst customer service ever and does not want to help with anything! $43,000 for my 1st car that lasted 74k. wow my heart is broken, dont know if I will ever by a Nissan again. I plan on writing a letter to the CEO; lets all try that, just maybe will get somewhere???

Worse Nissan Ever
By ttranrx on 02/22/10 17:33 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my maxima for 5 years and already have transmission problems. It will cost me $4000 to get a rebuilt transmission which is horrible for a 5 year old car. Will never buy a Nissan for a long time. Would warn anyone buying a Nissan Maxima and for them to google Nissan Maxima and transmission problems.

Never Again Nissan!
By Connie Winstead on 02/19/10 08:28 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Worst auto purchase I ever made. Hate the wide turn radius, the low profile tires don't last and provide a bumpy ride. Numerous expensive repairs, most recently the transmission went out, started slipping out of gear, jerking, reving up unexpectedly. Cost to repair $4,000 and Nissan won't do anything to help because it is 6,000 miles out of warranty, although there have been numerous problems with these Maxima transmissions. This car cost over $30,000 but now is only worth $8,000 at best.Poor gas mileage also. Body dents very easily. Bose stereo doesn't stay tuned.

Total Disappointment
By JAC on 02/15/10 08:35 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a total disappointment. The timing chain went of the car after 26,000 miles. The care burns a ton of oil and the moon roof leaks. The motor is noisy and the problems just keep piling up. I also had the rear deck rattle and drove the service dept crazy until they fixed it. I finally got a real good service mechanic to put some extra foam under the deck to it would not rattle. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN PERIOD. THIS CAR STINKS