Used 2004 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 679 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

2004 Maxima transmission problems
By thecuda

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima with the serious transmission problems, driverÂ’s side window motor and one motor used to control the driver side power seat is out. We have been owners of Nissans for more than 22 years. At one time all of my childrenÂ’s (3) has a Nissan. We will switch to another brand and never own a Maxima again. My daughter had the same problem with her 2004 Murano.

Power and performance.

They know of the transmission problems.

Big Letdown
By irisp

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1994 Nissan Maxima for 10 years with minimum problems,then got the 2004 and it has been a headache ever since. Got it in 2004 and by 2009 the transmission went out!The front end has every problem in the book.Struts,
rack and pinion,shocks,..you name it it's bad.I get new tires every 2 years,no matter what I have done it still sucks.Corporate will not help.Has to be the worst car ever!The CD player won't play unless you are sitting still,the power windows get stuck,just a horrible car. I will NEVER buy another Nissan.

It looks good but that is all.

They should have recalled all of them.

Nissan Maxima
By kirsten_046

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was so excited when I bought this car I've always had a Nissan and they never let me down. I loved the double sun roof and the previous owner had "tricked" it out so it was all fancy. I bought it with 130,000 miles on it which was quite a bit but it was running well! But then after about 20,000 miles the key kept getting stuck in the ignition, the CD player skips everything and cuts out, takes a few times to actually start the car and now it has trouble switching gears AND I was driving a few days ago and it totally turned on in the middle of the road; steering wheel locked, gas didn't work, lights and everything went off (had to turn it off then back on again). Nissan has let me down.

Worse NISSAN EVER Made
By tiagocosta

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Where do i start. i have had four generations of nissan maxima 4th 5th 6th and 7th generation maximas. So im talking from experience because i know how the car should opperate and run. But the 2004 nissan maxima SE has to be the worse car ever made by nissan. The timming belt, transmission, coils, shocks, struts, car seats all broke apart every 6 months apart. It seems like the put the car together with tape. Its just very badly designed. I never had any issues with any other car? i still have my 5th and 6th generation maximas running. Dont bother looking at the 2004 maxima. Just jump straight to the 8th generation maxima its worth it.

2004 Maxima Quality Problems
By paulfromfl

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am writing this to confirm other Quality Issues.

1. My transmission failed after 86,000 miles and was replaced by the dealer at a cost of $3,400. Coroporate Nissan would do nothing for me or the dealer although this was my second Maxima.
I am shocked at how bad they treat loyal owners of their brand.

2. The chrome accent strips along the roof are peeling and Corporate Nissan will do nothing.

3. The dealer now wants me to replace the valve cover gasket at 95,000 miles due to it leaking at a cost of $690.
The gasket cost is around $40 on line.

4. The leather steering wheel is coming apart and this is the second one, as the original was replaced for the same problem.

Great engine

Corporate Nissan needs to admit the problem with the transmission and make loyal owners whole. I have reported the transmission failure to the NHTSA but there has been no recall or communication from them. Anyone that has had transmission problems should take the time to report this to them at NHTSA.gov