2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Very Poor Quality Vehicle
By Mike S. on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely will never, ever buy Nissan products again. The issues with this car are innumerable but I'll try and include them in order of decreasing cost to fix: New transmission (other complaints on this site) @ 70K miles, new paint job due to defective black paint that lasted only 3 years, new front struts at 65K miles, new front bearings @ 60K miles, front wheel shimmy is recurring issue since day 1, front headlamps are not clear due to sun after 4 years. The front turning radius is that of an 18-wheeler.

Love my Maxima
By Helen on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Nissan and I've loved them all. I bought this car new and find it totally reliable and wonderful to drive. I've had no problems with the performance or the quality of the vehicle. I've replaced nothing and my interior still looks great. The only negative thing I have to say about it is the turning radius is too wide.

Best Car I've EVER owned
By TexasGypsie on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After reading the bad reviews, I had to weigh in on how pleased I am with my Maxima. I'm the original owner and have 112,000 miles on it. It has been the perfect car. I've had great reliability, smooth ride, excellent gas mileage and comfortable interior. I love my heated seats, excellent sound system, roomy interior and large truck. This car has not disappointed me and I'm sure I'll be looking to Nissan for my next car!

Not Up to Par
By Pat on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is not up to par for the cost. New was well over $30,000. I have had brake problems, the CD player skips, the a/c has stopped all together, and now it is making a knocking noise. I will be getting rid of it because I do not want to sink more money in it. It is a shame that Nissan did not pay as much attention to the Maxima as the Altima. If I had it to do over again I would have saved and bought the Altima. Now I will never buy another Nissan, i don't care what they are selling.

Nissan, a great car!
By pat on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was very surprised by some of the negative reviews I read because this has not been my experience at all. I have never had any problems with the car itself and love driving it and riding in it. It has beautiful styling, rides very comfortably, and has great power which is so important in metropolitan areas where one must accelerate on to highways.Fuel economy on the highway can go as high as 32 mpg with correct fuel but is lower around town 21 mpg .

I hate this car
By Nacole Gusler on 09/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my car brand new and have had nothing but trouble since. Sunroof opens by itself, window motor has been replaced several times, major transmission problems, replaced brakes several times, replaced axles, struts wheel barrons and calibers. This is just the beginning of my list. I hate this car, I will NEVER buy another Nissan due to this. This is the worst experience i have ever had with a car, and the dealership has never been very helpful. Told them about my transmission and their response was stuff happens. too bad it happens to most or all 2004 nissan maximas and nothing will be done about it!

Great Car
By efy on 08/01/10 21:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car in March of 2010, with 85,000 miles; it now has 96,000, after only 5 months. So far, it has been a very reliable, roomy, and comfortable family car. We average around 24.5 mpg. On a recent 300-mile trip, I averaged 31.2 mpg with luggage and a passenger. The front seats are comfortable, but the seat backs are shaped oddly, and can become annoying. The back seat is huge, and is more comfortable than the front. It is very enjoyable to drive, with lots of power, engaging handling, and a firm yet compliant ride. It is quiet inside, with only minor road noise. The BOSE sound system sounds great, and the radio display is excellent. I would highly recommend this car to anyone.

Beautiful Junk
By ScottieG on 07/03/10 14:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Max privately just after the ABS sensors and actuator were replaced @ Lancaster Nissan. 14,000mi later, I needed the very same work done by the same dealer. I refuse. I have had other items go bad @ a couple $100 here and a couple $100 there. The car is beautiful but full of knocking noises. The car is uncomfortable because I sit on the seats instead of in them. I owned a 93' Altima & a 96' Max. Both were of a much better quality than this car. I owned a Buick between the two Maximas & will go back when I can get rid of this car. I bought my 2004 Max based on a good reputation. I will never buy another Nissan. -ScottieG

Luv My Max
By TCross on 06/17/10 09:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

ok after reading some of the other reviews i am trying to figure out what did they do wrong to make there maxima give them so much trouble. I have had my maxima since it was brand new back in 04 and i have not had the 1st problem. I will live by Nissan and say that they have a great car on there hands. I love my maxima and i am currently working with my dealer now to get in a 2010 maxima. word of advise if you take care of your car your car will take care of you. so to the people who gave this wonderful car a bad review take care of your car and you will not have problems out of it

Best car i've owned so far
By Pukestorm82 on 05/22/10 13:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my car exactly 1 year ago with 72k miles, now it has 90k and have had no problems at all besides general maintenance. After reading all the bad reviews about transmission problems I bought a 3 year extended warranty and have yet to use it.