2004 Nissan Maxima SL
By brandymac on
2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
Bought car at 89K miles & replaced timing chains & transmission 2 weeks after(cost=$5k)& then replaced oil cooler gasket.Burns over 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles.Car now has 145k miles and I'm replacing the left Control Arm & brakes & rotors due to the damage. Dealer said it was normal for this car to burn this much oil.It is not leaking oil.Nissan was great about honoring the 2 recalls & fixed them no problem.The steering column vibrates roughly when driving even when alignment is done & balanced tires.Bought new Michelin Primacy tires which helped some.The turning radius is horrible. Car is super comfy& roomy for long trips.Love the style & sporty but 2 expensive 2 keep buying oil.
Favorite Features
Heated steering wheel & seats, CD changer, gas mileage is fabulous for as much room as this car has in rear seat, safety features, nice factory wheels, navigation, comfortable seats, leather wears very well, and good acceleration. Style is sporty and although it is 2004, many think it is a newer car. My spouse is 6'2" & fits comfortably in the car. I am 5'5" & can reach pedals easily. If there were no transmission or oil issues, I would keep this car forever.
Suggested Improvements
Turning radius is extremely bad, replaced transmission and timing chains at 92k, uses oil (at least 1 quart per 1k miles)and I have to carry a gallon with me to ensure I don't run out.