2004 Maxima Quality Problems
By paulfromfl on
2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I am writing this to confirm other Quality Issues. 1. My transmission failed after 86,000 miles and was replaced by the dealer at a cost of $3,400. Coroporate Nissan would do nothing for me or the dealer although this was my second Maxima. I am shocked at how bad they treat loyal owners of their brand. 2. The chrome accent strips along the roof are peeling and Corporate Nissan will do nothing. 3. The dealer now wants me to replace the valve cover gasket at 95,000 miles due to it leaking at a cost of $690. The gasket cost is around $40 on line. 4. The leather steering wheel is coming apart and this is the second one, as the original was replaced for the same problem.
Favorite Features
Great engine
Suggested Improvements
Corporate Nissan needs to admit the problem with the transmission and make loyal owners whole. I have reported the transmission failure to the NHTSA but there has been no recall or communication from them. Anyone that has had transmission problems should take the time to report this to them at NHTSA.gov
By fourmaxima
on 09/22/12 16:02 PM (PDT)

One thing you should realize is the car is out of warranty. Want the dealer to replace the transmission when it goes out? Drive a car in warranty. I would never take my car to a stealership to have them work on it. To many good hard working mechanics that charge half as much for better quality of work.

By vkmaxima
on 01/17/12 11:46 AM (PST)

I have asked many owners when was the last time they changed the transmission fluid, and all stated they did not change it.

By pzano
on 05/10/12 04:10 AM (PDT)

Well I changed my transmission fluid but it did not matter. This is a transmission that overheats and prematurely has problems or fails.