2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Comfortable Drive, but problems aplenty
By edoug93 on 02/18/14 14:15 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2004 maxima with just above 100,000 miles 2 and a half years ago, have 125,000 miles on it now. It's a pretty fast car, rides comfortably at high speeds, and has really good stock speakers. But, it has had way too many problems. Power steering pump died on me, tensioners on the chain broke, both cam shaft sensors died and would cut all power to the car when moving, sunroof won't open, the climate controls won't work, including the defrosters, which isn't fun in the winter. CD player doesn't work. I feel the transmission shifting heavy now, which isn't good at all. This car has turned me off to nissan, I will probably end up getting a different vehicle in the immediate future.

2004 Maxima transmission problems
By thecuda on 06/17/12 20:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima with the serious transmission problems, driverÂ’s side window motor and one motor used to control the driver side power seat is out. We have been owners of Nissans for more than 22 years. At one time all of my childrenÂ’s (3) has a Nissan. We will switch to another brand and never own a Maxima again. My daughter had the same problem with her 2004 Murano.

Best Car I've EVER owned
By TexasGypsie on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After reading the bad reviews, I had to weigh in on how pleased I am with my Maxima. I'm the original owner and have 112,000 miles on it. It has been the perfect car. I've had great reliability, smooth ride, excellent gas mileage and comfortable interior. I love my heated seats, excellent sound system, roomy interior and large truck. This car has not disappointed me and I'm sure I'll be looking to Nissan for my next car!

Not Up to Par
By Pat on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is not up to par for the cost. New was well over $30,000. I have had brake problems, the CD player skips, the a/c has stopped all together, and now it is making a knocking noise. I will be getting rid of it because I do not want to sink more money in it. It is a shame that Nissan did not pay as much attention to the Maxima as the Altima. If I had it to do over again I would have saved and bought the Altima. Now I will never buy another Nissan, i don't care what they are selling.

Great Car
By efy on 08/01/10 21:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car in March of 2010, with 85,000 miles; it now has 96,000, after only 5 months. So far, it has been a very reliable, roomy, and comfortable family car. We average around 24.5 mpg. On a recent 300-mile trip, I averaged 31.2 mpg with luggage and a passenger. The front seats are comfortable, but the seat backs are shaped oddly, and can become annoying. The back seat is huge, and is more comfortable than the front. It is very enjoyable to drive, with lots of power, engaging handling, and a firm yet compliant ride. It is quiet inside, with only minor road noise. The BOSE sound system sounds great, and the radio display is excellent. I would highly recommend this car to anyone.

good car but nothing special
By pv on 04/06/10 07:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used from a family friend 2 years ago. It is at 76k miles and has not had any major problems. I feel like the car is mid-range in every aspect. For instance, the V6 engine is responsive but nothing like a sports coupe. It gets decent gas mileage but nothing spectacular. I like the look and design of the interior, but the materials used makes it feel a little cheap. Overall I think this car is good at a lot of things but great at nothing. It looks and feels more sporty than my Mom's Camery, but has all the same practical uses. It is a rational choice for someone looking for a functioning car with a little more flare than your average sedan.

SHIFT AND HAVE FUN
By LIGHTMIX on 09/10/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had ny car for a year now,I love it. It's fun to drive and sorry bmw don't get mad at me if you can't say with me on an open road.I love my BOSE SOUND SYSTEM. Shift and have fun.

I LOVE this vehicle!
By dee on 08/13/09 10:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I read a lot of the previous reviews and I think the main issue here is maintenance of a sporty vehicle. I usually get 28 MPG in town and 30-40 MPG on the open road (averaging over 80 MPH). Other than regular maintenance and fixing the suspension parts that my kids have bent over the years, I haven't had any problems. I do replace tires nearly every year because I have the suspension set tight, nearly race ready (remember this is the same suspension the Mercedes Compressor has). I am an aggressive driver that loves to drive at high speeds on the open road. I have had the recalls done and my grill is still great. I am finally putting spark plugs and a K&N filter in it after nearly 90k miles.

This is my third Maxima
By Millie on 06/15/09 19:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great car inside and out. Comfortable and exciting to drive. Only objections are the poor turning radius and the occasional tendency of the car to "get away" from you when accelerating under certain conditions, two flaws I knew about before purchasing, but which did not deter me because Maximas are so reliable. Also, original set of tires went 60K miles before needing replacement. I owned 1989, 1994 and 2004 models and liked them all. Had zero mechanical problems. Drove the 1994 for 10 yrs, 105K miles and sold it for $5K. I do a lot of highway driving and this car is fantastic for long trips.

nissan max 04
By tomy on 05/09/09 10:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

i see everyone has a problem with the grill easy to fix get a raizerblade and push easly up on it and take it right off i didnt know what to do for a while then i came up with that idea now it looks great!or buy an aftermarket grill thats all. ppl just run in to one problem and say all this bad stuff about the maxima.. its the best car u can buy 3rd best engine in the world great looks u cant ask for more with the nissan maxima .