Used 2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE Sedan Consumer Reviews - 162 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Do NOT buy 04-06 Maxima.
By MNM

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

The best way to describe the 04 Nissan Maxima is OK. The best way to describe Nissans costumer service and reliability is TERRIBLE. Nissan clearly has no value of their customers as they have had 600+ reviews on faulty transmissions and yet to recall it even though they know it is on them. My maxima is just over 121,000 miles and the transmission has gone. There is a horrible jerking feeling when breaking as if gears are getting stuck, sometimes acceleration has the same issues, making it even scarier because you have no control over the car. It is quiet terrifying and Nissan believes we deserve to pay them another $3,000+ to replace THEIR ISSUE. (if you experience similar issues I recommend reading reviews on http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Maxima/2004/transmission/jerks_when_shifting-2.shtml for help.) I've contacted Nissan several times for help and I either can not get through to them or they tell me they can not help. I've reported the issue with BBB as many others have and should continue to do. I am outraged with the issue and poor accommodations and services on behalf of Nissan. Several law suits have been filed but no outcome. If you or someone you know has this issue be sure to file your complaint to Nissan at 1-800-647-7261 to help us get answers! Unacceptable from such a large company.
!!!!!!!!!!Do not buy a 04-06 Nissan Maxima!!!!!!!!! known for horrible transmissions.

2004 Nissan Maxima Elite a reliable vehicle
By B.O.

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Pros: Original, one owner car indicates the Elite, which is discontinued, is a loaded top of the line model with 4 bucket seats. Front wheel drive oversteer is disconcerting. Car purchased in June 2003 when model went on sale. A couple of factory flaws and several recalls all satisfactorily resolved within first two years. List of accessories equal to a vehicle costing at least $20k to $30k more.

Cons: Steering wheel entertainment controls wired incorrectly; remain uncorrected to date. A minor nuisance.
Will buy a RWD vehicle next time.

Worse Investment of my life!
By syed786

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Worse car I've ever owned. Paint is fading, chrome is chipping off the front grill, I've only owned this car for about 12 days, and already had to replace the clutch(which din't help with fading or going to the floor), water pump, radiator, hose, and head gasket. I had the car inspected 2nd day I had it and I was told it was flawless. Performance is poor, there's no such thing like fuel economy in this car, no oil leak but still have to add oil every week, replaced two rear tires already, one of the rims bent already...Do I need to say more?
Worse car I've ever owned in my life.
I wish I can take Nissan to court for these faulty factory defects

Better Cd player, better performance parts, longer lasting materials...just change everything about this car.

SWEET RIDE
By drock31

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my Maxima about 1/2 a year ago with 89,000 miles on it and so far so good.
I may do the struts soon, front a rear, but other than that manual trans is sweet, clutch is working fine, and engine wants to go go go!
Glad I went with the manual after reading some reviews of the automatic trans. jerking, plus it is extra fun to drive.
My only complaint is the road noise and that it burns a quart of oil every 5,000 miles.
I would only by a manual Maxima, and so far happy with my purchase!

Don't Buy a 2004 Nissan Maxima
By mortega1

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

In 2007 I began to notice that the “chrome finish” on the front grill was beginning to peel off.
This was also beginning to happen on the “chrome” accents that are embedded on the roof of the vehicle. In late 2008 the power window motor located in the driver’s door began to malfunction and now it is not functional at all.
In 2009, the power door locks located on the driver’s side (front and rear doors) also began to malfunction.
Power to the steering wheel column and the drivers seat have now also failed.
I have also experienced issues with the air conditioning system and I have had several leaks in the o-rings that have been addressed several times.
Do not purchase a Nissan product!!

The first several years of ownership were good. The ride and performance was outstanding. The Bose stereo system is above average.

The electrical system of this vehicle is faulty. Searches on the internet reveal other Nissan owners complaining of issue related to the electrical systems of this vehicle.