2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Worse Investment of my life!
By syed786 on 09/04/12 07:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Worse car I've ever owned. Paint is fading, chrome is chipping off the front grill, I've only owned this car for about 12 days, and already had to replace the clutch(which din't help with fading or going to the floor), water pump, radiator, hose, and head gasket. I had the car inspected 2nd day I had it and I was told it was flawless. Performance is poor, there's no such thing like fuel economy in this car, no oil leak but still have to add oil every week, replaced two rear tires already, one of the rims bent already...Do I need to say more? Worse car I've ever owned in my life. I wish I can take Nissan to court for these faulty factory defects

SWEET RIDE
By drock31 on 07/30/11 10:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my Maxima about 1/2 a year ago with 89,000 miles on it and so far so good. I may do the struts soon, front a rear, but other than that manual trans is sweet, clutch is working fine, and engine wants to go go go! Glad I went with the manual after reading some reviews of the automatic trans. jerking, plus it is extra fun to drive. My only complaint is the road noise and that it burns a quart of oil every 5,000 miles. I would only by a manual Maxima, and so far happy with my purchase!

Don't Buy a 2004 Nissan Maxima
By mortega1 on 05/26/11 15:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

In 2007 I began to notice that the “chrome finish” on the front grill was beginning to peel off. This was also beginning to happen on the “chrome” accents that are embedded on the roof of the vehicle. In late 2008 the power window motor located in the driver’s door began to malfunction and now it is not functional at all. In 2009, the power door locks located on the driver’s side (front and rear doors) also began to malfunction. Power to the steering wheel column and the drivers seat have now also failed. I have also experienced issues with the air conditioning system and I have had several leaks in the o-rings that have been addressed several times. Do not purchase a Nissan product!!

Total Disappointment
By JAC on 02/15/10 08:35 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a total disappointment. The timing chain went of the car after 26,000 miles. The care burns a ton of oil and the moon roof leaks. The motor is noisy and the problems just keep piling up. I also had the rear deck rattle and drove the service dept crazy until they fixed it. I finally got a real good service mechanic to put some extra foam under the deck to it would not rattle. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN PERIOD. THIS CAR STINKS

Horrible Car
By SM on 08/19/09 09:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I can't believe after owning this car for two yrs i have so much problems. It first started with the engine mount having to be changed, then came the jerk when going from reverse to drive, then the a/c stopped working had to change the expansion valve. What's gonna happen next...I wld not recommend anyone to buy a 2004 Maxima, alot of my friends with the same car have had similar problems. My next car will def not be a Nissan!

Dont buy this car
By kelly on 08/08/09 21:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have had nothing but trouble with this car. I will never buy a Nissan again. The turn radius is similar to a huge truck. I kept getting flat tires because the chrome kept peeling from the wheels and the tires would not bond to the wheel and hold in the air. The transmissions are faulty. I have seen many reviews from others with the same transmission problem. I am sure Nissan knows about the bad transmissions. They told me when it was in warranty that it was broken motor mounts. I would not expect to have 2 broken motor mounts unless I hit something. A few hundred miles later and out of warranty transmission goes south. The interior buttons are cheap plastic and they crack and break lose.

Wouldn't buy it again
By Rachel on 07/25/09 19:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car after owning an Acura and a Camry. Both the Acura and Camry which are now 15 years old have had less problems than this Maxima. Had to have transmission replaced after warranty ran out. AC compressor had to be replaced. Motor went out on the driver seat and it will not move- not worth the expense ($250) to replace it. There is a constant rattle in the back panel. Nissan has not helped one bit with any of this or with the poor service and the run around I got at a particular Nissan dealership. Lastly the interior design with the radio, temp control, etc. is terrible and difficult to use while driving with all those buttons. I will never buy another Nissan. Get a Camry!

04 in 2009
By Guitarman on 06/28/09 21:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Just bought and I like it but every thing i have read about reviews is there, Wheel shimmy at 45, brakes pull when stopping, seats not comfy, sunroof stopped working, so will the rest happen too? I hope not it only has 11,000 miles on it and i do like it, and its mint shape like new, oh well hope i helped some one else, Gas milage is great 385 miles a tank full gas

Best Car I Ever Owned
By Paddy on 06/18/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Let me begin by saying you want fuel economy then buy a Honda Civic. Other than that this is the best car I ever owned! The styling, the comfort, quiet, ride, handling, performance, everything is tops. What car could top this?? Yes a BMW ... but for twice the price! I would recommend this car to anyone any day as the perfect car.

Was great, now headache
By young max on 06/04/09 13:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car was a dream in the beginning, It had great acceleration, high text gadgets that all worked, heated seats and Xeon head lights and a wonderful sound system. I brought this car with 30k miles back in 2007. Now in 2009 I have replaced 3 wheel bearing, A Bose sub woofer, (by the way the Head unit isn't a BOSE unit), a drivers power window and a very costly transmission. My advice is to stay away from this model. It looks great, but the cost of up keep will disappoint you. For a car that was once over 30K isn’t built better than a car you can buy for 10K. Go with a higher quality car, maybe the Infiniti. Nissan's flagship is a joke. My 1996 Honda Accord was a way better investment!!!!