Used 2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Comfortable Drive, but problems aplenty
By edoug93

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2004 maxima with just above 100,000 miles 2 and a half years ago, have 125,000 miles on it now. It's a pretty fast car, rides comfortably at high speeds, and has really good stock speakers. But, it has had way too many problems. Power steering pump died on me, tensioners on the chain broke, both cam shaft sensors died and would cut all power to the car when moving, sunroof won't open, the climate controls won't work, including the defrosters, which isn't fun in the winter. CD player doesn't work. I feel the transmission shifting heavy now, which isn't good at all. This car has turned me off to nissan, I will probably end up getting a different vehicle in the immediate future.

Favorite Features

Speakers

Suggested Improvements

Too many to count

2004 Maxima transmission problems
By thecuda

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima with the serious transmission problems, driverís side window motor and one motor used to control the driver side power seat is out. We have been owners of Nissans for more than 22 years. At one time all of my childrenís (3) has a Nissan. We will switch to another brand and never own a Maxima again. My daughter had the same problem with her 2004 Murano.

Favorite Features

Power and performance.

Suggested Improvements

They know of the transmission problems.

Best Car I've EVER owned
By TexasGypsie

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After reading the bad reviews, I had to weigh in on how pleased I am with my Maxima. I'm the original owner and have 112,000 miles on it. It has been the perfect car. I've had great reliability, smooth ride, excellent gas mileage and comfortable interior. I love my heated seats, excellent sound system, roomy interior and large truck. This car has not disappointed me and I'm sure I'll be looking to Nissan for my next car!

Favorite Features

Xenon headlights, automatic garage opener on rear view mirror, heated seats, controls on steering wheel, heated steering wheel. Smooth ride and excellent acceleration when passing.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius isn't good and poor rear visibility.

Not Up to Par
By Pat

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is not up to par for the cost. New was well over $30,000. I have had brake problems, the CD player skips, the a/c has stopped all together, and now it is making a knocking noise. I will be getting rid of it because I do not want to sink more money in it. It is a shame that Nissan did not pay as much attention to the Maxima as the Altima. If I had it to do over again I would have saved and bought the Altima. Now I will never buy another Nissan, i don't care what they are selling.

Favorite Features

Trunk size and heated seats

Suggested Improvements

The interior looks cheap. Never do so many upgrades on the lower model Altima, to the point where the Altima outpaces the top of the line Maxima. Bad corporate move.

Great Car
By efy

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car in March of 2010, with 85,000 miles; it now has 96,000, after only 5 months. So far, it has been a very reliable, roomy, and comfortable family car. We average around 24.5 mpg. On a recent 300-mile trip, I averaged 31.2 mpg with luggage and a passenger. The front seats are comfortable, but the seat backs are shaped oddly, and can become annoying. The back seat is huge, and is more comfortable than the front. It is very enjoyable to drive, with lots of power, engaging handling, and a firm yet compliant ride. It is quiet inside, with only minor road noise. The BOSE sound system sounds great, and the radio display is excellent. I would highly recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Handling, ride, room, power, smooth and willing engine, smooth-shifting transmission, fuel economy, heated seats, radio display, rear seats, large trunk without intrusive hinges, styling, Xenon headlamps, do I have all day?

Suggested Improvements

The back of the front seats are supportive up to the middle of the back, then they run off and leave you. What's up with that? Torque steer is apparent, but manageable. Visibility to the rear isn't great; style trumps function here, which isn't always a bad thing. The 12V outlets are hidden!