Used 2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE Consumer Reviews - 269 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By 111zzz

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND EVERYONE TO NOT BUY THIS CAR. I have read other people's comments. They are right. I also have met a lot of problems in this car, like jerking, transmission. I will not fix the transmission. Probably I will fix the jerking. I just want to to drive it for a while. Then I will throw it. I am lucky that I did not spend much on this used vehicle. DO NOT TRUST NISSIAN.

Beautiful. Waste of money
By ataylor13

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car due to how beautiful it is and powerful, got a great deal on it but now I know why it was so cheap. After a week of having this car at 111,400 miles I realized it is having minor transmission issues. Going fast and staying at a consistent shift it drives like a dream. Stop and go traffic however; a nightmare. Wasted my time and money, currently looking for a new commuter due to me going to college and working.

Inside and out beautiful. Powerful drive

Please FIX THE TRANNYS ARE YOU KIDDING ME

2004 Maxima is the worst vehicle I've ever owned!
By davidh11

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '04 Maxima used in 2008 with 69K miles on it. I've had nothing but trouble with it since I bought it.
Transmission went out at 87k miles. The dealership's mechanic told me he has seen many Maximas come in with a bad Valve Body causing the tranny to slip and also slam into gear from park to drive. Luckily my extended warranty covered it.
Here is the long list of problems I've had with the car since then:
bad radiator fan assembly, ignition coil, valve cover gasket, 2 broken motor mounts, bad altenator, tie rod end, bad cat converter, rear wheel bearing, and power window motor.
I traded it in last week and good riddence!!

Styling, features, and powerful engine.

Great looking car but its painfully obvious that reliability was an afterthought when they made this car.

That engine... the only reason I bought it.
By booth1986

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The engine in this thing ... dayyum! It was a very fast car! It was also superbly comfortable on long drives, and did surprisingly well on gas.
I bought this used for a really good price. I was disappointed however in the transmission failures and overall build quality. The car was in good shape but felt like it was 10 years older than it was.

Engine, "mohawk" Skyview sunroof, controversial interior/exterior design, Bose sound system, wheels, handling, brakes... all awesome!

Reliability (Transmission, brake longevity...) Interior durability, headlights /trim pieces hazing over...

DONT BUY A 2004 MAXIMA
By lynnfrct

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it with 19K - now have 86K. 3rd set of brakes and 4th set of tires.
Now replacing the tranny & timing belt for over $5K. Before the ext warranty expired I told dealer I was having transmission issues. They said it was the motor mount which they repaired. Once out of warranty the tranny went completely. Appealed to Nissan NA - no success. Asked local service manager why I should put in another Nissan tranny and he said "Dont worry they fixed the problem" admitting there were issues with the 2004 trannys. There is a class action suit for the trans if anyone is interested. Last car payment is next month. Tears. No more car payments but a huge charge bill for repairs.

Lots of bells and whistles. Heated steering wheel my favorite - cold in the north. Lots of road noise - have to really crank up the radio - waste of the Bose system. Peeling of the "chrome' accents on grill and top of doors like everyone else. Very uncomfortable ride - bumpy - had to have shocks and struts replaced at 55K miles, which is ridiculous. Now that I put over 8K into repairs at 86K miles I am going to pray that this car will last me a few more years with no major expense. No more Nissans for me though.

Seriously fix the tranny. Resolve the road noise issue. Why do brakes and tires go so quickly? Why is the car so uncomfortable to drive? They are money pits.