Used 2004 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 677 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL
By Charles Minauskas

Nice Ride and power.

2004 Nissan Maxima Elite a reliable vehicle
By B.O.

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Pros: Original, one owner car indicates the Elite, which is discontinued, is a loaded top of the line model with 4 bucket seats. Front wheel drive oversteer is disconcerting. Car purchased in June 2003 when model went on sale. A couple of factory flaws and several recalls all satisfactorily resolved within first two years. List of accessories equal to a vehicle costing at least $20k to $30k more.

Cons: Steering wheel entertainment controls wired incorrectly; remain uncorrected to date. A minor nuisance.
Will buy a RWD vehicle next time.

Ok Car
By Tyler Vanderslice

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 04 maxima in 05 with around 40k on it and it now has 170k. I love the look and power of the engine. It's style still looks great on the road. I bought the car b/c of style and reliability. The tranny went out around 50k miles(fortunately I had and extended warranty). The CD player went out twice and I always had problems with the heat going out in winter and ac in summer. I was very optimistic about the car but around 150k it just started having continuous problems. The power steering line leaked, the radiator and thermostat went bad and every sensor in the world seems to go bad annually( and it is over 200+ to fix each, 5 different ones have went out). I love the car and have had it for over 10 years but unfortunately I will not buy another one and will stick to toyota or Honda. Nissan just has too many little problems and is not very reliable.

you will regret it I learned the hard way!
By Mr Texas 2015

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It will definitely gain attention on the road by the exterior design but that is about all this car can do for you. Very low mileage purchase in January of 2011. The first thing I noticed about a week later was the famous shimmy. I'm doing 45-50 and the steering wheel starts shaking like a hula dancer. So of course I went back to the dealership they re balanced the tires. A week later it came back so I purchased 4 brand new Goodyear tires didn't solve it shimmy remained up until the end. March of 2011 had to have motor mounts replaced under warranty. September 2011 the timing chain was replaced under warranty thru Nissan. January 2012 the upper A/C hose was replaced for $600. July 2012 Power Steering leak was replaced. December 2012 both H.I.D headlights went out on the highway due to a bad ballast. March 2013 both CV Joints had to be replaced due to leakage. August 2013 The vehicle began to experience a hard start then that same day left me stranded at wal mart it was the Cam/crank sensors. January 2014 The Valve cover gaskets leaked oil. Fixed properly leaked again for a second time. June 2014 check engine light comes on P0420: Catalyst Efficiency Failure which means that catalytic converter was bad didn't replace. October 2014 Alternator fails. By December 2014 another check engine light this time the transmission needed to be replaced for a second time as had been by the previous owner. January 2015 traded for a 2009 Infiniti M. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR YOU ALONG WITH MY BROTHER,MYSELF,A MILLION OTHERS WILL REGRET IT.

Maxed Out
By Lisa Brooks

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I brought my 2004 Nissan Maxima SL at Motor City Auto Brokers in Waukegan, IL. When I first got the car I was in love with it. The gps, the put in radio with auxiliary, the pretty neon blue headlights, but after a few months my car started acting crazy. The steering wheel shakes, the brakes went bad, power steering is messed up, tires was messed up, parts of the car was broken. It was just maxed out. If you buy this car please get it checked out throughly before taking it off the lot. Keep up the maintenance. We had to take it to the shop and found out my car had many problems yet it drove like nothing was wrong. Not even a light came on. I would not even buy another car from Motor City Auto Brokers. Anyhow I'm just sad that my car is maxed out lol I am planning on upgrading to the 2010 maxima. Lord willing.