Used 2004 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By 111zzz

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND EVERYONE TO NOT BUY THIS CAR. I have read other people's comments. They are right. I also have met a lot of problems in this car, like jerking, transmission. I will not fix the transmission. Probably I will fix the jerking. I just want to to drive it for a while. Then I will throw it. I am lucky that I did not spend much on this used vehicle. DO NOT TRUST NISSIAN.

Comfortable Drive, but problems aplenty
By edoug93

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2004 maxima with just above 100,000 miles 2 and a half years ago, have 125,000 miles on it now. It's a pretty fast car, rides comfortably at high speeds, and has really good stock speakers. But, it has had way too many problems. Power steering pump died on me, tensioners on the chain broke, both cam shaft sensors died and would cut all power to the car when moving, sunroof won't open, the climate controls won't work, including the defrosters, which isn't fun in the winter. CD player doesn't work. I feel the transmission shifting heavy now, which isn't good at all. This car has turned me off to nissan, I will probably end up getting a different vehicle in the immediate future.

Favorite Features

Speakers

Suggested Improvements

Too many to count

Beautiful. Waste of money
By ataylor13

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car due to how beautiful it is and powerful, got a great deal on it but now I know why it was so cheap. After a week of having this car at 111,400 miles I realized it is having minor transmission issues. Going fast and staying at a consistent shift it drives like a dream. Stop and go traffic however; a nightmare. Wasted my time and money, currently looking for a new commuter due to me going to college and working.

Favorite Features

Inside and out beautiful. Powerful drive

Suggested Improvements

Please FIX THE TRANNYS ARE YOU KIDDING ME

2004 Maxima is the worst vehicle I've ever owned!
By davidh11

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '04 Maxima used in 2008 with 69K miles on it. I've had nothing but trouble with it since I bought it. Transmission went out at 87k miles. The dealership's mechanic told me he has seen many Maximas come in with a bad Valve Body causing the tranny to slip and also slam into gear from park to drive. Luckily my extended warranty covered it. Here is the long list of problems I've had with the car since then: bad radiator fan assembly, ignition coil, valve cover gasket, 2 broken motor mounts, bad altenator, tie rod end, bad cat converter, rear wheel bearing, and power window motor. I traded it in last week and good riddence!!

Favorite Features

Styling, features, and powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Great looking car but its painfully obvious that reliability was an afterthought when they made this car.

That engine... the only reason I bought it.
By booth1986

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The engine in this thing ... dayyum! It was a very fast car! It was also superbly comfortable on long drives, and did surprisingly well on gas. I bought this used for a really good price. I was disappointed however in the transmission failures and overall build quality. The car was in good shape but felt like it was 10 years older than it was.

Favorite Features

Engine, "mohawk" Skyview sunroof, controversial interior/exterior design, Bose sound system, wheels, handling, brakes... all awesome!

Suggested Improvements

Reliability (Transmission, brake longevity...) Interior durability, headlights /trim pieces hazing over...