2004 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Comfortable Drive, but problems aplenty
By edoug93 on 02/18/14 14:15 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2004 maxima with just above 100,000 miles 2 and a half years ago, have 125,000 miles on it now. It's a pretty fast car, rides comfortably at high speeds, and has really good stock speakers. But, it has had way too many problems. Power steering pump died on me, tensioners on the chain broke, both cam shaft sensors died and would cut all power to the car when moving, sunroof won't open, the climate controls won't work, including the defrosters, which isn't fun in the winter. CD player doesn't work. I feel the transmission shifting heavy now, which isn't good at all. This car has turned me off to nissan, I will probably end up getting a different vehicle in the immediate future.

Beautiful. Waste of money
By ataylor13 on 02/15/14 03:00 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car due to how beautiful it is and powerful, got a great deal on it but now I know why it was so cheap. After a week of having this car at 111,400 miles I realized it is having minor transmission issues. Going fast and staying at a consistent shift it drives like a dream. Stop and go traffic however; a nightmare. Wasted my time and money, currently looking for a new commuter due to me going to college and working.

2004 Maxima is the worst vehicle I've ever owned!
By davidh11 on 06/28/13 14:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '04 Maxima used in 2008 with 69K miles on it. I've had nothing but trouble with it since I bought it. Transmission went out at 87k miles. The dealership's mechanic told me he has seen many Maximas come in with a bad Valve Body causing the tranny to slip and also slam into gear from park to drive. Luckily my extended warranty covered it. Here is the long list of problems I've had with the car since then: bad radiator fan assembly, ignition coil, valve cover gasket, 2 broken motor mounts, bad altenator, tie rod end, bad cat converter, rear wheel bearing, and power window motor. I traded it in last week and good riddence!!

That engine... the only reason I bought it.
By booth1986 on 01/21/13 11:33 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The engine in this thing ... dayyum! It was a very fast car! It was also superbly comfortable on long drives, and did surprisingly well on gas. I bought this used for a really good price. I was disappointed however in the transmission failures and overall build quality. The car was in good shape but felt like it was 10 years older than it was.

DONT BUY A 2004 MAXIMA
By lynnfrct on 01/08/13 15:57 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it with 19K - now have 86K. 3rd set of brakes and 4th set of tires. Now replacing the tranny & timing belt for over $5K. Before the ext warranty expired I told dealer I was having transmission issues. They said it was the motor mount which they repaired. Once out of warranty the tranny went completely. Appealed to Nissan NA - no success. Asked local service manager why I should put in another Nissan tranny and he said "Dont worry they fixed the problem" admitting there were issues with the 2004 trannys. There is a class action suit for the trans if anyone is interested. Last car payment is next month. Tears. No more car payments but a huge charge bill for repairs.

Nissan Maxima Brakes, ABS, Floorboards, Sunroof, Nissan Corporate, Faulkner Harrisburg, Star Nissan Greensburg
By lilliasea on 11/30/12 06:58 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2004 Nissan Maxima after extensive research as a left over in January 2005. The car was garaged 95% of the time and serviced by the dealership until the warranty expired. Traveling from South Carolina to Pennsylvania, the ABS and Brake lights illuminated. Standard brakes were still operational subsequently I drove the car to the Faulkner dealership in Harrisburg. Here the mechanics determined there was a fault code indicating an entire ABS replacement. They also found rust on the floorboards under the front wheel wells. Add this to a sunroof motor failure just days prior to the ABS brakes failing. Stranded in Harrisburg I did a little research and quickly identified a TSB on Maxima brakes. Nissan owners posted on this subject frequently as well as rust under the floorboards and sunroof failure. I shared my findings with the dealership when they called to announce the nearly 5K in repairs needed for the Maxima. The Faulkner dealership then directed me to call the Nissan Corporate Customer Assistance. I explained the situation and that the car was indeed 8 years old but had merely 60K miles most of which were highway. The interview process was consistent from the dealership to the customer service representative to the final mediator. I realized I was repeating information on the car for three days. The global narrative included; • The car received regular maintenance from the Star Nissan Dealership (I would not recommend this dealership) • The Star Nissan Group sold and maintenanced the car until warranty expiration. • The Star Nissan mechanics failed to notice any of these issues even though they had the car on the rack for 10 days repairing the air conditioning just five months prior. • I personally detailed the car four to five times a year—washed the undercarriage as well. The day before Thanksgiving the corporate mediator, Glenda, called to announce Nissan would not be providing any repair assistance. Unfortunately, I was also very ill and lacked the energy to pursue the matter. It was essential to repair the brakes so I could make it home and get to a doctor. It is important to know that I loved this car. I selected every option and waited until I found a black on black fully loaded Maxima. This car was serviced more than any other vehicle I have owned. From the 261 lb/sqft torque to the responsive engine this car made me happy…..until it didn’t. As it turns out, we had a dysfunctional relationship. I gave and gave and Nissan left me sitting. If you have read this and still purchase a Nissan and especially a Maxima remember you were warned.

Worse Investment of my life!
By syed786 on 09/04/12 07:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Worse car I've ever owned. Paint is fading, chrome is chipping off the front grill, I've only owned this car for about 12 days, and already had to replace the clutch(which din't help with fading or going to the floor), water pump, radiator, hose, and head gasket. I had the car inspected 2nd day I had it and I was told it was flawless. Performance is poor, there's no such thing like fuel economy in this car, no oil leak but still have to add oil every week, replaced two rear tires already, one of the rims bent already...Do I need to say more? Worse car I've ever owned in my life. I wish I can take Nissan to court for these faulty factory defects

2004 Maxima transmission problems
By thecuda on 06/17/12 20:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima with the serious transmission problems, driver’s side window motor and one motor used to control the driver side power seat is out. We have been owners of Nissans for more than 22 years. At one time all of my children’s (3) has a Nissan. We will switch to another brand and never own a Maxima again. My daughter had the same problem with her 2004 Murano.

Big Letdown
By irisp on 06/08/12 17:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1994 Nissan Maxima for 10 years with minimum problems,then got the 2004 and it has been a headache ever since. Got it in 2004 and by 2009 the transmission went out!The front end has every problem in the book.Struts, rack and pinion,shocks,..you name it it's bad.I get new tires every 2 years,no matter what I have done it still sucks.Corporate will not help.Has to be the worst car ever!The CD player won't play unless you are sitting still,the power windows get stuck,just a horrible car. I will NEVER buy another Nissan.

Nissan Maxima
By kirsten_046 on 05/07/12 18:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was so excited when I bought this car I've always had a Nissan and they never let me down. I loved the double sun roof and the previous owner had "tricked" it out so it was all fancy. I bought it with 130,000 miles on it which was quite a bit but it was running well! But then after about 20,000 miles the key kept getting stuck in the ignition, the CD player skips everything and cuts out, takes a few times to actually start the car and now it has trouble switching gears AND I was driving a few days ago and it totally turned on in the middle of the road; steering wheel locked, gas didn't work, lights and everything went off (had to turn it off then back on again). Nissan has let me down.