Used 2003 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 216 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Dissapointing Quality
By Bill

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Mechanically, the Maxima is top notch. Unfortunately, the constant rattling and creaking of the interior literally destroys the ownership experience of an otherwise great car. I have had a number of new japanese autos and surprised by the lack of quality on the interior of this car. I have family members and friends with similar complaints about wearing fabric, rattling dashboard and leaking sunroofs.

Power. When you hit the gas pedal, you can't help but smile. Great performance for the money.

Nissan must take the next leap to higher quality. As much as I like the styling and performance of my Maxima and Nissans in general, I will not buy another due to inferior interior products.

Positive feedback
By Dave

2003 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Maxima in 2002 as it was the last year before they changed the style. It has been very easy to drive and I have really enjoyed it. Plus it is several thousand dollars less than its cousin the Infiniti!!

After 37K, Update and farewell
By JohnBuller

2003 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I loved the car when I first had it, but 3 years later, the bloom is off. Still great, but not the same thrill. It's been fast, fun, reliable, but doesn't wear well both interior or exterior, and I am a fanatic about care. Paint quality is an issue; Sheer Silver looks great, but paint is poor, esp on front bumper and hood. The turning radius is HORRIBLE; 40.5 feet puts it in SUV territory. Car felt porky and didn't excite me even with all it's bells and whistles. I tire of cars easily, but thought I'd have it forever. Traded for an 05 Altima SL. Not that the Max is a bad car; far from it, it just doesn't grow on you. It felt clunky after 37,000 miles; I got bored.

Heated steering wheel and seats, power from smooth V6, mileage 30+ if you trust computer. Climate control perfect, HID headlights a joy. One touch open and close windows and roof, Bose 6 disc CD. People always commenting on car and how it looked. Wonderful highway cruiser with great range.

Fix turning radius. In the 3 years I had it, think I made a parking space in one swoop once. It's hard to tell where front of car ends. More solid trunk; sounds tinny when closing. Make trunk open rather than just unlock. Better paint, more ding/chip resistant bumpers. Lose beam rear axle.

Stolen Headlights
By stolen lights

2003 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I Love this car have not had any problems at 35k miles, but my headlights have been stolen twice. If you live in the Northeast do not buy this car, it is a theives delight.

Car's power and interior design

Fix headlight problem

Fun & Reliable
By DGR

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a pleasure to drive! It's very quick with excellent handling and braking. The seats are very comfortable although head room in the back is a little tight for a six footer.

Engine power and handling. Build quality and reliability.

Trunk space is adequate but not great. The engine requires premium fuel. Side airbags should be standard.