Used 2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 215 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Mediocre Maxima
By Cadjockey

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I like the styling and performance ( acceleration/handling/brakes ) but the interior is sub par. I have a dash that rattles/squeaks and the seats are cheap. I don’t have the Bose stereo so I installed a sub-woofer which helps immensely. The Idler pulley bearing went out so the dealership loaned me a Lincoln LS. For the same money ( $18,000 ) I could have gotten a 2003/2002 Lincoln LS instead of the Maxima SE. I made a mistake. The Lincoln is twice the car as my 2003 Maxima SE. I am now shopping for a nice 2002/2003 Lincoln LS with low miles. My only concern is that the Nissan is probably a more dependable car than the Lincoln. I’m going to take the chance because the LS is WAY nicer

engine

put a decent interior in the Maxima. Put a decent independent suspension on the Maxima. Put a better sterio in the Maxima. Improve ride quality and reduce the noise level of the interior.

Sweet Ride.....
By Import Driver

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Just got the vehicle needed somethin 2 drive to give the Spec V a rest. Max is a beautiful car rides and handles nicely. Stock stereo in my Spec V is better than stock stereo in Max (huge dissapointment opt for Bose). Ride & Handling like Spec V but a bit softer. Seats are comfortable and look of high quality. Dash materials are nice and display quality but could be softer like the Toyota Avalon's. Headlamps are beautiful and makes the Max look expensive. Love the Interior/Exterior design b/c it doesnt look like somethin u would see everywhere u go. This is our second max and hopefully will be just as reliable as the 1st and the other Nissan's that we have owned. The engine is a Top Notch...

VQ Powerplant (Powerful, quiet, refined, smooth, sound) tranny, cloth seats feel/look rich, build quality, fit & finish, quietness, steering wheel controls, auto on/off HID headlamps, reputation, reliability, fuel economy, room, ride, unique styling, Worlds Top 10 Engine Since 1995, safe car........

Stock stereo (Bose should be standard), steering wheel controls could be lid, dash and door materials look upscale but could be softer, AWD to control torque steer (Traction control should be standard), ride could be choppy @ times, hard 2 find one, turning radius is 2 wide

Not the car Nissan claims it to be
By jessefrank

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

If you are looking of a performance sedan I'd look elsewhere. Not bad, but the interior build quality steered me away after owning for 2.5 years. Also all that power isn't of any use if it can't get to the road. Despite my tire choices I still lost traction not only in the winter, but durning the summer with wet roads. Roads only have to be slightly wet to lose traction especaially on take-off. Car developed a harsh ride despite not handling all that well.

3.5L V6, roominess of interior, handeling compared to other american sedans in its class

Interior build quality severely lacking, weak paint, lack of handling for the harsh ride, swap the FWD for AWD or RWD, replace the 4 speed auto, better noise reduction

I bought A Nissan Finally!
By Mr Lee

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the car in 8/05 because of all the good things I heard about it. It already had 60,000 miles on it from the date of purchased but I said so what it's a Nissan. A week after I bought it the oxygen sensors went bad. Whew the warranty saved me $500! Two months later the vent control went bad. I started not to fix it but I was loseing 8mpg due to the pressure failure. I still like Nissan. However, I will never buy another car with more than 30k miles on it. The paint on the front bumper had to be repainted due to cheap paint quality. Overall I'd say it's a pretty well designed car. I get a lot of compliments with it. I do a lot of driving so a car has to last me.

The engine. I wish the USA didn't have the computer chip inside because the engine has a lot of life left after it stops at 130mph :) Clear tailights are a plus!

Bumper paint quality. Get rid of some of the sensors! Have a longer warranty offered. White leather seats, a subwoofer would be nice. Bose is made for high pitch not bass. Improvements that would eliminate some of the road noise.

Dissapointing Quality
By Bill

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Mechanically, the Maxima is top notch. Unfortunately, the constant rattling and creaking of the interior literally destroys the ownership experience of an otherwise great car. I have had a number of new japanese autos and surprised by the lack of quality on the interior of this car. I have family members and friends with similar complaints about wearing fabric, rattling dashboard and leaking sunroofs.

Power. When you hit the gas pedal, you can't help but smile. Great performance for the money.

Nissan must take the next leap to higher quality. As much as I like the styling and performance of my Maxima and Nissans in general, I will not buy another due to inferior interior products.