Used 2003 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Fun to Drive
By chrispv

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my Maxima since 2004 and it has been a great car. The car is loaded and also has a 6 speed, which is fun to drive and is fast for a family sedan. There is a lot of room in the car and trunk for my family. The car has had minimal repair work (tires, brakes, exhaust system). I've got 89k miles and the car still looks great and runs well. I've noticed a slight drop in the acceleration but that is to be expected with time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking.

6 speed manual, roomy, large trunk, Bose sound system, quality.

Mileage, premium gas, tires are expensive.

Best of most worlds
By Milliam

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I sold Nissans for a few years and from cumulative knowledge and personal interest, this car was fit the bill among my needs. This is definitely a "driver's car"...you turn corners pretty fast only realizing it after you get passengers grabbing for stationary objects in your car. I have the SE (sports edition) and tires are a little wide (sporty) and could be better in the snow and around corners. Gas mileage on the orig. paper work says 20/26...I have been as high as 32 mpg on highways during mountain driving, speaking to the cars power and refinement. Every fault that I can possibly muster has a reason that the car was made the way it is...sport- sedan.

Heated steering wheel, Xenon HID lights, nice alloys on the SE. Bose system sounds great with Ipod while using the EQ in the Ipod. Sporty body style (for a sedan).

Turning radius could be better but the wide sporty tires are worth the sporty grip are part of the wide turning.

2003 Nissan Maxima GLE
By MrT

2003 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this car. It has plenty of power, a roomy, comfortable interior, handles reasonably well, and does well in the snow. I bought this car used in 2006 with ~60k miles. It now has 95k. In that time, besides routine maintenance, I've only had to replace the interior fan assembly which started making an annoying noise shortly after I bought it. It cost approximately $400 to replace. My friend has an Xterra which had a similar problem. The previous owner had taken out the stereo system so I got whatever the dealer put in. I'm not an audiophile, but would say it's got an adequate sound system. My wife's 2006 Toyota 4- runner has a better sounding system.

The big engine pulls when I need it and does great over mountain passes without having to work too hard. Comfortable heated leather seats AND steering wheel are a nice touch. Fold down rear seats are convenient. Trunk will hold a lot.

TURNING RADIUS IS TERRIBLE!!! This is the only thing keeping me from considering another one. I've always owned smaller cars (Civic, Mustang)so that could be part of it, but my wife's 4-runner has a smaller turning radius than the Maxima. U-turns require three lanes.

Recommend it, but...
By maxreviewer

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I'd recommend this car as shown by the ratings. A few minor things to pick on. I'm 6'1", and this car is too small for me. My head is buried in the roof (moonroof actually) unless the seat is really reclined. Bose radio, heated seats and window safety switch all broke. Leaky window seals. Handles poorly in the rain and snow, but can be compensated for by an appropriate tire. Still, a very good car.

Performance, 6-speed, gas mileage, reliability

Hopefully all new maximas are sold with traction control.

Hard to Beat
By Mckenna

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased this car used, knowing that it was an ex-rental previously. If ever there was an invitation for disaster, this would be it. And yet this was a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE, allegedly a Japanese BMW, available for pennies on the dollar compared to new. As the old saying goes; even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then. And boy did we ever! Im 64 tall and still fit comfortably. Acceleration is impressive, as is fuel economy (even while using regular), the handling brings out the teen in me (I'm mid 50's now), and yet it is still a functional and dependable sedan and business mode of transportation with which to entertain clients in.

The drive train - no second thoughts here! Great power curve, minimal torque steer, quiet, and vibration free. Plus fuel economy exceeding estimates. Im mid 50s now, but the suspension and overall handling bring back the young man in me on winding curves of the California Coast highway.

It's tough to improve in this package. However, if I had to be critical, I'd find fault with the rear end treatment. The tail light assemblies just don't work for me. Now, if Nissan could drop the 2003 power train into the '09 body and interior... I'd be working a deal on a new one as we speak!

• SUV