2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Recommend it, but...
By maxreviewer on 07/18/09 18:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I'd recommend this car as shown by the ratings. A few minor things to pick on. I'm 6'1", and this car is too small for me. My head is buried in the roof (moonroof actually) unless the seat is really reclined. Bose radio, heated seats and window safety switch all broke. Leaky window seals. Handles poorly in the rain and snow, but can be compensated for by an appropriate tire. Still, a very good car.

Hard to Beat
By Mckenna on 02/02/09 17:14 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased this car used, knowing that it was an ex-rental previously. If ever there was an invitation for disaster, this would be it. And yet… this was a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE, allegedly a Japanese BMW, available for pennies on the dollar compared to new. As the old saying goes; even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then. And boy did we ever! I’m 6’4” tall and still fit comfortably. Acceleration is impressive, as is fuel economy (even while using regular), the handling brings out the teen in me (I'm mid 50's now), and yet it is still a functional and dependable sedan and business mode of transportation with which to entertain clients in.

Great Car
By Vincent Giannotti on 12/19/08 19:02 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I own a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE with the Titanium Package which I purchased new in April 2003. It currently has 65,000 miles and is still solid as a rock. The VQ35 3.5L V6 is amazing - great power and torque. I've added the following: custom grille, Viper remote start system and Injen cold air intake. I plan to add hi-flow exhaust and upgrade to 18" wheels. It has never been back to the dealership even once for any problems. I also own three American cars, including a Cadillac, but none of them can match the quality of the Maxima. I wouldn't part with it for anything!

Six years and going strong
By mike v on 09/12/08 09:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have been a Nissan fan for many years. My 03 Maxima is my fifth Nissan. I have a 92 max with 175,000 mi on it that I use as my daily driver. I have the titanium ed with gray leather.The car has 37,000 mi on it, and is garage kept. The car is not perfect but overall I like it very much. Although this car dates back to the 2000 model year, I still get compliments all the time. There are some things that do bother me and should be considered. The rear suspension is of the solid beam scissor link variety. This is old school tech and Nissan should be ashamed. To be fair the set up works reasonably well but can't compare with the multi link suspensions that most cars have today.

Amazing!!
By I Love It on 03/11/08 19:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have had our Maxima for a while now. I was originally looking at the Accord, but after test driving my friend's, I scrapped the Honda idea. I had no idea it had that much power! The car is a rocketship when you want it to be. It is approaching 100k, and I have never had any problems with it. I am looking forward to having many more years of fun. It is a great car that can easily fit 4 adults and has a ton of trunk space for all of your stuff. I absolutely love my Maxima, and would buy it again in a heartbeat!

Woooooow!
By Love Nissan on 12/10/07 18:22 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

The is an awesome car!! I think Nissan nailed it! It has the looks, power, luxury & it sooo fun to drive & this makes it better than the competition. 80k miles and only requires regular maintence. It has the quality & reliability that rivals that best. This car is truly in a class of it's own. Would definitely buy again.

Very Bumpy Drive!
By LJ on 08/08/07 17:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I am a Maxima fan, however, the 2003 SE model rides extremely bumpy and although I love the car, I am almost sorry I bought it because the ride feels like a very cheap car and I'm suprised and disappointed. I have tried to get the car checked and lowered air pressure in the tires but when the car hits even the slightest bump it feel terrible. I also find the car handles terrible in rain and snow.

I love this Maxima
By Kell on 06/22/07 13:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have loved this car! It has been a wonderful family vehicle. It is a 3.5L V6, so imagine the pep you get when you accelerate. This is the last year they made this body style, and I like it almost more than the 2004-2006 models. Nissans run on a timing chain too which eases some concerns as to when you need to replace your timing belt. Love it. I can only say positive things about it, other than the gas mileage averages about 24 mpg which isn't the best in terms of a sedan. But 3.5L V6 baby!

Decent Choice for the Price (Maxima GLE)
By Shahriar on 06/19/07 13:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for almost 5 years and have driven it to my hearts content. The car has 115k miles, still smooth, strong and a pleasure to drive. The stereo is temperamental and skips once in a while. But when in good mood, the Bose makes you feel like you're in a concert hall. Terrific power and smooth transmission. Good marriage between the engine and the transmission. No problem in the snow. Had problem with brakes, stereo and exhaust systems. Engine light comes out often (gas cap issue). Handling not comparable to German counter parts but good enough to throw around in the corners and have some fun. Suspension is soft, but serene in good road surface. Bumpy on bad surface.

Style, Performance, Price
By Jason in St. Louis on 02/03/07 17:57 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drove a '90 Maxima to 175k w/ no major issues. I currently drive an '06 Altima SE-R. I was confident that the purchase of a well maintained '03 Maxima GLE wouldn't disappoint. Boy was I right. Very handsome design, plenty of power under the hood, and very well appointed for a car in it's price range. The car just feels solid and well engineered. I am slightly biased, but it's a car I highly recommend based on past and present Nissan ownership.