2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
2003 Nissan Maxima GLE
By MrT on 07/27/09 10:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this car. It has plenty of power, a roomy, comfortable interior, handles reasonably well, and does well in the snow. I bought this car used in 2006 with ~60k miles. It now has 95k. In that time, besides routine maintenance, I've only had to replace the interior fan assembly which started making an annoying noise shortly after I bought it. It cost approximately $400 to replace. My friend has an Xterra which had a similar problem. The previous owner had taken out the stereo system so I got whatever the dealer put in. I'm not an audiophile, but would say it's got an adequate sound system. My wife's 2006 Toyota 4- runner has a better sounding system.

Decent Choice for the Price (Maxima GLE)
By Shahriar on 06/19/07 13:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for almost 5 years and have driven it to my hearts content. The car has 115k miles, still smooth, strong and a pleasure to drive. The stereo is temperamental and skips once in a while. But when in good mood, the Bose makes you feel like you're in a concert hall. Terrific power and smooth transmission. Good marriage between the engine and the transmission. No problem in the snow. Had problem with brakes, stereo and exhaust systems. Engine light comes out often (gas cap issue). Handling not comparable to German counter parts but good enough to throw around in the corners and have some fun. Suspension is soft, but serene in good road surface. Bumpy on bad surface.

Great car
By maxdriver on 04/17/06 07:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy driving this car, my only complaint is the amount of road noise that can be heard in the car.

Positive feedback
By Dave on 09/13/05 10:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Maxima in 2002 as it was the last year before they changed the style. It has been very easy to drive and I have really enjoyed it. Plus it is several thousand dollars less than its cousin the Infiniti!!

After 37K, Update and farewell
By JohnBuller on 08/31/05 16:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I loved the car when I first had it, but 3 years later, the bloom is off. Still great, but not the same thrill. It's been fast, fun, reliable, but doesn't wear well both interior or exterior, and I am a fanatic about care. Paint quality is an issue; Sheer Silver looks great, but paint is poor, esp on front bumper and hood. The turning radius is HORRIBLE; 40.5 feet puts it in SUV territory. Car felt porky and didn't excite me even with all it's bells and whistles. I tire of cars easily, but thought I'd have it forever. Traded for an 05 Altima SL. Not that the Max is a bad car; far from it, it just doesn't grow on you. It felt clunky after 37,000 miles; I got bored.

Stolen Headlights
By stolen lights on 07/30/05 10:07 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I Love this car have not had any problems at 35k miles, but my headlights have been stolen twice. If you live in the Northeast do not buy this car, it is a theives delight.

Like a top
By bob on 04/18/05 17:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 5th Maxima, each held for three years and an average 25,000 miles per year. No maintenance problems other than brakes and tires have been experienced. Just routine oil changes at 3-5k miles. The ONLY car found that does NOT give me a back ache after 2 plus hours of driving. Runs like a top.

Great fun!
By Glenn-Maryland on 02/07/05 10:07 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven my Maxima GLE for 2 years and love it more now than when I purchased it! It has great acceleration and handles smoothly. The BOSE sound system is terrific. Very reliable.

super car
By threedayride on 01/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Maxima, and I'll drive it for 300K. Rode first one 220K, then gave it to my son who has had no problems. Style is dated on the 2003, but i couldn't wait for the 04s, which are beautiful. Totally dependable, no warranty work required at all.

Not bad for what it is...
By richbaker on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is not a bad car for it's price segment. I liked the Maxima for its size, decent comfort, good mileage considering it is a large V6, horsepower. It handles OK, but big understeer, and huge torque steer. Good features like stereo with 6 disc changer, xenon headlamps, steering wheel controls. The leather is cheap, hard and thin. If I bought the car I really wanted (Audi A4), I probably could have gotten a better car for about the same payments since the residual is so much higher (53%). So I have 40 months to go before I get what I really want.