2003 Nissan Maxima SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2003 Maxima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Sort Reviews by

Never left me stranded
By kriley50

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love this car. I bought it used in 2006 with 77k on it. I drove it for 5 years and just sold it with 160k on it. The car is fast, gets good gas mileage, looks good, and is super reliable. Over the course of 5 years I replaced 2 sensors in the car and that was it. I liked the car so much that I went out and bought another one. The new one is a 2003 as well with only 60k on it. I can't wait to drive this car another 100k.

Favorite Features

Horsepower and Gas Mileage

Great car, great value
By DavidG

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased this car used with about 8k miles on it. New, it stickered for about $31K, but I picked it up for about $21K, a real bargain. This is a fun car. I've only had 3 problems with the car: At around 25k miles the Speed Sensitive Volume became erratic. Nissan changed out the Bose unit, it was fine for a few months and then the problem came back. They replaced the unit again and suggested if it happened again they would probably replace the amp. Both times were under warranty; no charge. No problems since. I now have about 68k miles, and a few months ago the front psgr window motor was replaced due to some sticking. That's it. This car is reliable.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, automatic climate control, heated seats, leather still looks almost new. Still no squeaks or rattles. Very well built, solid car. Car has great power, but replace the tires when due or the torque will spin them at every launch. Or try starting in second gear.

Suggested Improvements

6th gear could be taller for better highway mileage, but at 70mph I get 29mpg. Saw 30.7mpg once. City mileage is deplorable. Stop-go gets about 17mpg. The computer consistently reads about 3.5mpg better than actual. Never use the OEM Bridgestones - dangerous in the rain. Use Mich Pilot Sport A/S.

Fun to Drive
By chrispv

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my Maxima since 2004 and it has been a great car. The car is loaded and also has a 6 speed, which is fun to drive and is fast for a family sedan. There is a lot of room in the car and trunk for my family. The car has had minimal repair work (tires, brakes, exhaust system). I've got 89k miles and the car still looks great and runs well. I've noticed a slight drop in the acceleration but that is to be expected with time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking.

Favorite Features

6 speed manual, roomy, large trunk, Bose sound system, quality.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage, premium gas, tires are expensive.

Recommend it, but...
By maxreviewer

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I'd recommend this car as shown by the ratings. A few minor things to pick on. I'm 6'1", and this car is too small for me. My head is buried in the roof (moonroof actually) unless the seat is really reclined. Bose radio, heated seats and window safety switch all broke. Leaky window seals. Handles poorly in the rain and snow, but can be compensated for by an appropriate tire. Still, a very good car.

Favorite Features

Performance, 6-speed, gas mileage, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully all new maximas are sold with traction control.

Hard to Beat
By Mckenna

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased this car used, knowing that it was an ex-rental previously. If ever there was an invitation for disaster, this would be it. And yet this was a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE, allegedly a Japanese BMW, available for pennies on the dollar compared to new. As the old saying goes; even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then. And boy did we ever! Im 64 tall and still fit comfortably. Acceleration is impressive, as is fuel economy (even while using regular), the handling brings out the teen in me (I'm mid 50's now), and yet it is still a functional and dependable sedan and business mode of transportation with which to entertain clients in.

Favorite Features

The drive train - no second thoughts here! Great power curve, minimal torque steer, quiet, and vibration free. Plus fuel economy exceeding estimates. Im mid 50s now, but the suspension and overall handling bring back the young man in me on winding curves of the California Coast highway.

Suggested Improvements

It's tough to improve in this package. However, if I had to be critical, I'd find fault with the rear end treatment. The tail light assemblies just don't work for me. Now, if Nissan could drop the 2003 power train into the '09 body and interior... I'd be working a deal on a new one as we speak!

Great Car
By Vincent Giannotti

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I own a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE with the Titanium Package which I purchased new in April 2003. It currently has 65,000 miles and is still solid as a rock. The VQ35 3.5L V6 is amazing - great power and torque. I've added the following: custom grille, Viper remote start system and Injen cold air intake. I plan to add hi-flow exhaust and upgrade to 18" wheels. It has never been back to the dealership even once for any problems. I also own three American cars, including a Cadillac, but none of them can match the quality of the Maxima. I wouldn't part with it for anything!

Favorite Features

Power, responsiveness, Bose audio system, styling, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Just minor complaints: The ride is great on the highway, but the SE's suspension is just a bit harsh on local streets. The back seat is a bit hard, but I'm rarely a passenger in the car.

Six years and going strong
By mike v

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have been a Nissan fan for many years. My 03 Maxima is my fifth Nissan. I have a 92 max with 175,000 mi on it that I use as my daily driver. I have the titanium ed with gray leather.The car has 37,000 mi on it, and is garage kept. The car is not perfect but overall I like it very much. Although this car dates back to the 2000 model year, I still get compliments all the time. There are some things that do bother me and should be considered. The rear suspension is of the solid beam scissor link variety. This is old school tech and Nissan should be ashamed. To be fair the set up works reasonably well but can't compare with the multi link suspensions that most cars have today.

Favorite Features

Well put together int, HD lights, award winning VQ engine 255 hp, 60/40 fold down rear seat, easy exit driver's seat, steering wheel radio controls, auto up down windows, auto dimming rear view mirror/compass, chrome looking kick plate inserts, confident handling, good overall build quality, reliability :)

Suggested Improvements

see 07 maxima

Woooooow!
By Love Nissan

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

The is an awesome car!! I think Nissan nailed it! It has the looks, power, luxury & it sooo fun to drive & this makes it better than the competition. 80k miles and only requires regular maintence. It has the quality & reliability that rivals that best. This car is truly in a class of it's own. Would definitely buy again.

Favorite Features

That VQ35DE engine has amazing power, refinement, & reliability. The Max is roomy, comfortable, luxurious and beautiful. The adrenaline rush you get from driving it. The car does everything from hauling the family to racing on the drag strip!

Suggested Improvements

Has acquired a few minor squeaks over the years. Use better standard radio/speakers. Tire noise.

Very Bumpy Drive!
By LJ

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I am a Maxima fan, however, the 2003 SE model rides extremely bumpy and although I love the car, I am almost sorry I bought it because the ride feels like a very cheap car and I'm suprised and disappointed. I have tried to get the car checked and lowered air pressure in the tires but when the car hits even the slightest bump it feel terrible. I also find the car handles terrible in rain and snow.

Favorite Features

The looks is awesome. I like Maximas in general, comfortable, roomy, nice trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Traction in bad weather, bumpy ride is umcomfortable, stereo system is weak and should be Bose. Make consumer suggestions on bumpy ride. Makes me not want the car I dreamed of owning.

I love this Maxima
By Kell

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have loved this car! It has been a wonderful family vehicle. It is a 3.5L V6, so imagine the pep you get when you accelerate. This is the last year they made this body style, and I like it almost more than the 2004-2006 models. Nissans run on a timing chain too which eases some concerns as to when you need to replace your timing belt. Love it. I can only say positive things about it, other than the gas mileage averages about 24 mpg which isn't the best in terms of a sedan. But 3.5L V6 baby!

Favorite Features

Body style, bigger engine, sounds good, timing chain, great a/c.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a better stereo system, but the new Maximas have it.