Used 2003 Nissan Maxima GXE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

03 Maxima GXE
By cd9403max

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second max, first one still have 94 with 264,000 km and engine/trans tops. Only have 62,000 km on 03 and now first major repair, brakes all around. Got this as last Japanese made one and was afraid of quality control with 04 on. I may be wrong with the 04's on. This car takes off like a scared cat-make sure you are hanging on tight. I like the 94 more as it seems more roomer inside and with self adjusting shocks, real nice. However, very poor head lights-moved up to stronger ones to help. 03 lights, what an improvement over the 94.

Favorite Features

Looks are real nice and with the silver paint job, sun and clouds give it different looks. Like all the controls on the steering wheel-fingertips. On the streets found so easy to go over limit and likewise on the highways. Passing with car is a pleasure-before you know, you are way over 80 approaching 90. Did anyone take it all the way up to the end of the speedometer. Like the dimming rear mirror at night.

Amazing!!
By I Love It

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have had our Maxima for a while now. I was originally looking at the Accord, but after test driving my friend's, I scrapped the Honda idea. I had no idea it had that much power! The car is a rocketship when you want it to be. It is approaching 100k, and I have never had any problems with it. I am looking forward to having many more years of fun. It is a great car that can easily fit 4 adults and has a ton of trunk space for all of your stuff. I absolutely love my Maxima, and would buy it again in a heartbeat!

Favorite Features

Body styling, acceleration, handling and over all fun factor.

Suggested Improvements

It could use a bit more room in the back seat area. If you are over 6 ft it can get a little snug, but not bad.

Style, Performance, Price
By Jason in St. Louis

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drove a '90 Maxima to 175k w/ no major issues. I currently drive an '06 Altima SE-R. I was confident that the purchase of a well maintained '03 Maxima GLE wouldn't disappoint. Boy was I right. Very handsome design, plenty of power under the hood, and very well appointed for a car in it's price range. The car just feels solid and well engineered. I am slightly biased, but it's a car I highly recommend based on past and present Nissan ownership.

Favorite Features

Xenon headlights, Bose stereo, heated steering wheel / seats, 6 disc changer, automatic windows / sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius, more supple leather, steering wheel controls aren't lit, noisy interior.

if I had known about the headlights...
By jennee

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have to admit that I am pleased with the Maxima overall; although I would have waited for the 2004 model though. I have had the car for about 8 months and it has been vandalized three times!! If you live in the Northeast, don't buy this car! It is in your best interest to buy the 2004 model or buy something else. The research was not available when I bought this car and I am sorry I bought it. When you pay up to $3500 for a pair of headlights you get a little bitter. It is a beautiful car but the headache is not worth it.

Favorite Features

The ride and the sound system

Suggested Improvements

The headlights should be more secure; especially since it only takes crooks 30 seconds to steal them!!!!!!

A Solid Car
By first nissan

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased the GLE a few days ago. I test drove the BMW 325xi, the Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, and the Audi A4. I was actually on my way to the BMW dealership to buy the 325 (true story!) and for some reason or another i stopped in at the nissan dealership to check out the '04 maxima. I drove the 2004 and the 2003. Once I drove the 2003 I was sold. I bought the car right there on the spot. It drives much more smoothly than the other cars, plus you'll get much more bang for you buck with the fully loaded GLE. Consumer Reports rates it very high and so do I. A highly recommended car.

Favorite Features

The Bose 7 speaker stereo system is awesome, the 255 horses is nice as well. . .this car is FAST! The sunroof is a must. The interior is very sharp and luxurious with the leather seats, titanium and wood trim.

Suggested Improvements

A telescoping steering wheel would be a big help for taller drivers. . .I am 6'4". An AWD version would be nice, but I guess you can't have it all:)