Used 2003 Nissan Maxima GLE Sedan Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Early Maximas rock
By Peter Williams

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The cars were comfortable, powerful, felt like they were glued to the road, or on rails. The sound system was great, I had two, I think a 2000 and 2003 GLE, and I loved them. I got a few $800 or $900 repairs when the mileage was in the 1403. The repairs were the coils an an oil leak.

2003 Nissan Maxima GLE
By MrT

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this car. It has plenty of power, a roomy, comfortable interior, handles reasonably well, and does well in the snow. I bought this car used in 2006 with ~60k miles. It now has 95k. In that time, besides routine maintenance, I've only had to replace the interior fan assembly which started making an annoying noise shortly after I bought it. It cost approximately $400 to replace. My friend has an Xterra which had a similar problem. The previous owner had taken out the stereo system so I got whatever the dealer put in. I'm not an audiophile, but would say it's got an adequate sound system. My wife's 2006 Toyota 4- runner has a better sounding system.

The big engine pulls when I need it and does great over mountain passes without having to work too hard. Comfortable heated leather seats AND steering wheel are a nice touch. Fold down rear seats are convenient. Trunk will hold a lot.

TURNING RADIUS IS TERRIBLE!!! This is the only thing keeping me from considering another one. I've always owned smaller cars (Civic, Mustang)so that could be part of it, but my wife's 4-runner has a smaller turning radius than the Maxima. U-turns require three lanes.

Decent Choice for the Price (Maxima GLE)
By Shahriar

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for almost 5 years and have driven it to my hearts content. The car has 115k miles, still smooth, strong and a pleasure to drive. The stereo is temperamental and skips once in a while. But when in good mood, the Bose makes you feel like you're in a concert hall. Terrific power and smooth transmission. Good marriage between the engine and the transmission. No problem in the snow. Had problem with brakes, stereo and exhaust systems. Engine light comes out often (gas cap issue). Handling not comparable to German counter parts but good enough to throw around in the corners and have some fun. Suspension is soft, but serene in good road surface. Bumpy on bad surface.

Bose stereo, engine and transmission, steering wheel warmer, fun factor, smooth ride in good roads, stress free driving, moonroof, acceleration.

Brakes, exhaust, interior noise level, suspension (too bumpy on rough roads), handling, tire grip, torque steer, body integrity, seat comfort (not enough support), hard to see dash board clock during the day, acclaimed micro filter system.

Great car
By maxdriver

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy driving this car, my only complaint is the amount of road noise that can be heard in the car.

I love the power of the vehicle.

Road noise should be eliminated.

Positive feedback
By Dave

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Maxima in 2002 as it was the last year before they changed the style. It has been very easy to drive and I have really enjoyed it. Plus it is several thousand dollars less than its cousin the Infiniti!!