Used 2003 Nissan Maxima GLE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

2003 Nissan Maxima GLE
By MrT

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this car. It has plenty of power, a roomy, comfortable interior, handles reasonably well, and does well in the snow. I bought this car used in 2006 with ~60k miles. It now has 95k. In that time, besides routine maintenance, I've only had to replace the interior fan assembly which started making an annoying noise shortly after I bought it. It cost approximately $400 to replace. My friend has an Xterra which had a similar problem. The previous owner had taken out the stereo system so I got whatever the dealer put in. I'm not an audiophile, but would say it's got an adequate sound system. My wife's 2006 Toyota 4- runner has a better sounding system.

Favorite Features

The big engine pulls when I need it and does great over mountain passes without having to work too hard. Comfortable heated leather seats AND steering wheel are a nice touch. Fold down rear seats are convenient. Trunk will hold a lot.

Suggested Improvements

TURNING RADIUS IS TERRIBLE!!! This is the only thing keeping me from considering another one. I've always owned smaller cars (Civic, Mustang)so that could be part of it, but my wife's 4-runner has a smaller turning radius than the Maxima. U-turns require three lanes.

Decent Choice for the Price (Maxima GLE)
By Shahriar

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for almost 5 years and have driven it to my hearts content. The car has 115k miles, still smooth, strong and a pleasure to drive. The stereo is temperamental and skips once in a while. But when in good mood, the Bose makes you feel like you're in a concert hall. Terrific power and smooth transmission. Good marriage between the engine and the transmission. No problem in the snow. Had problem with brakes, stereo and exhaust systems. Engine light comes out often (gas cap issue). Handling not comparable to German counter parts but good enough to throw around in the corners and have some fun. Suspension is soft, but serene in good road surface. Bumpy on bad surface.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, engine and transmission, steering wheel warmer, fun factor, smooth ride in good roads, stress free driving, moonroof, acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, exhaust, interior noise level, suspension (too bumpy on rough roads), handling, tire grip, torque steer, body integrity, seat comfort (not enough support), hard to see dash board clock during the day, acclaimed micro filter system.

Great car
By maxdriver

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy driving this car, my only complaint is the amount of road noise that can be heard in the car.

Favorite Features

I love the power of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise should be eliminated.

Positive feedback
By Dave

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Maxima in 2002 as it was the last year before they changed the style. It has been very easy to drive and I have really enjoyed it. Plus it is several thousand dollars less than its cousin the Infiniti!!

After 37K, Update and farewell
By JohnBuller

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I loved the car when I first had it, but 3 years later, the bloom is off. Still great, but not the same thrill. It's been fast, fun, reliable, but doesn't wear well both interior or exterior, and I am a fanatic about care. Paint quality is an issue; Sheer Silver looks great, but paint is poor, esp on front bumper and hood. The turning radius is HORRIBLE; 40.5 feet puts it in SUV territory. Car felt porky and didn't excite me even with all it's bells and whistles. I tire of cars easily, but thought I'd have it forever. Traded for an 05 Altima SL. Not that the Max is a bad car; far from it, it just doesn't grow on you. It felt clunky after 37,000 miles; I got bored.

Favorite Features

Heated steering wheel and seats, power from smooth V6, mileage 30+ if you trust computer. Climate control perfect, HID headlights a joy. One touch open and close windows and roof, Bose 6 disc CD. People always commenting on car and how it looked. Wonderful highway cruiser with great range.

Suggested Improvements

Fix turning radius. In the 3 years I had it, think I made a parking space in one swoop once. It's hard to tell where front of car ends. More solid trunk; sounds tinny when closing. Make trunk open rather than just unlock. Better paint, more ding/chip resistant bumpers. Lose beam rear axle.