2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Really great car
By rbagnate on 08/25/14 15:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've always liked the 5th gen Maxima. I finally had the chance to get one from California. Purchased August 2014 with 50,000 original miles from an elderly couple that took real good care of it. I live in Colorado and book the trip to Dublin CA. Drove the car back and got 32mpg, she did great! One issue the radio had to be replaced and the power coming from the engine...WOW! So far I've added 12,000 miles driving for work out of state and I'm happy I bought the car. This car was immaculate inside and out.

First Car - Favorite Car
By kuktle on 06/03/12 08:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Owned for about 30,000 miles, Car had 120,000 and when I wrecked it was at 150,000. If you by chance come accross one of these amazing cars I would most certainly recommend it. I've raced people in them and have very often won. It is very fast and very reliable. I recently rear ended someone in it and becuase the air bag deployed it was totalled out. I'm sad and devastated. This car is the kind of car that will last forever. The only thing I never liked was the braking could have been better but I drove it fast so what do you expect... Loved it Loved it Loved it!!!!!!

03 Maxima GXE
By cd9403max on 04/27/12 19:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second max, first one still have 94 with 264,000 km and engine/trans tops. Only have 62,000 km on 03 and now first major repair, brakes all around. Got this as last Japanese made one and was afraid of quality control with 04 on. I may be wrong with the 04's on. This car takes off like a scared cat-make sure you are hanging on tight. I like the 94 more as it seems more roomer inside and with self adjusting shocks, real nice. However, very poor head lights-moved up to stronger ones to help. 03 lights, what an improvement over the 94.

Never left me stranded
By kriley50 on 01/26/12 08:32 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love this car. I bought it used in 2006 with 77k on it. I drove it for 5 years and just sold it with 160k on it. The car is fast, gets good gas mileage, looks good, and is super reliable. Over the course of 5 years I replaced 2 sensors in the car and that was it. I liked the car so much that I went out and bought another one. The new one is a 2003 as well with only 60k on it. I can't wait to drive this car another 100k.

Good Value for the Money
By rangermutt on 08/16/11 10:12 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Maxima, the first a 1996 GLS with 160k miles that is still running strong. This model is the SE Platinum Edition and presently has 105k miles. We purchased it used with 50k miles and has so far been pretty much trouble free.

Good car
By Tom on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I put about 25,000 miles a year on this car and I have had one engine problem, a sensor that the dealership said was a recall on the '03 but not a recall on my VIN number. Considering it was a $300 repair, I wasn't happy but over all has been very reliable.

Reliable and fun to drive but noisy
By jojo791 on 03/07/10 20:37 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drove the SE model for almost 5 years. Much better built than my 1999 Camry. Good power and handling. The car was reliable but far from perfect. First it was one of the noisiest cars from the wind I have ever driven, wind leaked in from everywhere. Second was the 1 wheel drive. The front right tire drove the whole car. Third was the steering radius, the longest of any car made.premium unleaded is not necessary., no pinging with regular and the same gas mileage.

Great car, great value
By DavidG on 12/23/09 22:49 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased this car used with about 8k miles on it. New, it stickered for about $31K, but I picked it up for about $21K, a real bargain. This is a fun car. I've only had 3 problems with the car: At around 25k miles the Speed Sensitive Volume became erratic. Nissan changed out the Bose unit, it was fine for a few months and then the problem came back. They replaced the unit again and suggested if it happened again they would probably replace the amp. Both times were under warranty; no charge. No problems since. I now have about 68k miles, and a few months ago the front psgr window motor was replaced due to some sticking. That's it. This car is reliable.

Fun to Drive
By chrispv on 12/01/09 11:09 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my Maxima since 2004 and it has been a great car. The car is loaded and also has a 6 speed, which is fun to drive and is fast for a family sedan. There is a lot of room in the car and trunk for my family. The car has had minimal repair work (tires, brakes, exhaust system). I've got 89k miles and the car still looks great and runs well. I've noticed a slight drop in the acceleration but that is to be expected with time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking.

Best of most worlds
By Milliam on 10/22/09 22:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I sold Nissans for a few years and from cumulative knowledge and personal interest, this car was fit the bill among my needs. This is definitely a "driver's car"...you turn corners pretty fast only realizing it after you get passengers grabbing for stationary objects in your car. I have the SE (sports edition) and tires are a little wide (sporty) and could be better in the snow and around corners. Gas mileage on the orig. paper work says 20/26...I have been as high as 32 mpg on highways during mountain driving, speaking to the cars power and refinement. Every fault that I can possibly muster has a reason that the car was made the way it is...sport- sedan.