Used 2003 Nissan Maxima SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Never left me stranded
By kriley50

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love this car. I bought it used in 2006 with 77k on it. I drove it for 5 years and just sold it with 160k on it. The car is fast, gets good gas mileage, looks good, and is super reliable. Over the course of 5 years I replaced 2 sensors in the car and that was it. I liked the car so much that I went out and bought another one. The new one is a 2003 as well with only 60k on it. I can't wait to drive this car another 100k.

Horsepower and Gas Mileage

Great car, great value
By DavidG

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased this car used with about 8k miles on it. New, it stickered for about $31K, but I picked it up for about $21K, a real bargain. This is a fun car. I've only had 3 problems with the car: At around 25k miles the Speed Sensitive Volume became erratic. Nissan changed out the Bose unit, it was fine for a few months and then the problem came back. They replaced the unit again and suggested if it happened again they would probably replace the amp. Both times were under warranty; no charge. No problems since. I now have about 68k miles, and a few months ago the front psgr window motor was replaced due to some sticking. That's it. This car is reliable.

Bose stereo, automatic climate control, heated seats, leather still looks almost new. Still no squeaks or rattles. Very well built, solid car. Car has great power, but replace the tires when due or the torque will spin them at every launch. Or try starting in second gear.

6th gear could be taller for better highway mileage, but at 70mph I get 29mpg. Saw 30.7mpg once. City mileage is deplorable. Stop-go gets about 17mpg. The computer consistently reads about 3.5mpg better than actual. Never use the OEM Bridgestones - dangerous in the rain. Use Mich Pilot Sport A/S.

Fun to Drive
By chrispv

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my Maxima since 2004 and it has been a great car. The car is loaded and also has a 6 speed, which is fun to drive and is fast for a family sedan. There is a lot of room in the car and trunk for my family. The car has had minimal repair work (tires, brakes, exhaust system). I've got 89k miles and the car still looks great and runs well. I've noticed a slight drop in the acceleration but that is to be expected with time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking.

6 speed manual, roomy, large trunk, Bose sound system, quality.

Mileage, premium gas, tires are expensive.

Recommend it, but...
By maxreviewer

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I'd recommend this car as shown by the ratings. A few minor things to pick on. I'm 6'1", and this car is too small for me. My head is buried in the roof (moonroof actually) unless the seat is really reclined. Bose radio, heated seats and window safety switch all broke. Leaky window seals. Handles poorly in the rain and snow, but can be compensated for by an appropriate tire. Still, a very good car.

Performance, 6-speed, gas mileage, reliability

Hopefully all new maximas are sold with traction control.

Hard to Beat
By Mckenna

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased this car used, knowing that it was an ex-rental previously. If ever there was an invitation for disaster, this would be it. And yet this was a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE, allegedly a Japanese BMW, available for pennies on the dollar compared to new. As the old saying goes; even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then. And boy did we ever! Im 64 tall and still fit comfortably. Acceleration is impressive, as is fuel economy (even while using regular), the handling brings out the teen in me (I'm mid 50's now), and yet it is still a functional and dependable sedan and business mode of transportation with which to entertain clients in.

The drive train - no second thoughts here! Great power curve, minimal torque steer, quiet, and vibration free. Plus fuel economy exceeding estimates. Im mid 50s now, but the suspension and overall handling bring back the young man in me on winding curves of the California Coast highway.

It's tough to improve in this package. However, if I had to be critical, I'd find fault with the rear end treatment. The tail light assemblies just don't work for me. Now, if Nissan could drop the 2003 power train into the '09 body and interior... I'd be working a deal on a new one as we speak!